Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned About What I'm Leaving Behind!

Ok so im ready to go, got my money, pretty sure what doctor I'm going to use in Mexico and mentally ready except for this: I cant help but wonder what life will be like without certain things such as drinking a beer, your morning bagel, eating a nice dinner out with my wife and drinking a nice glass of iced tea WITH my meal! I realize i will still be able to do most of the SOMEWHAT, but it will be different! Can anyone help me with this? I cant imagine a cracker being my entire meal or taking an hour to drink a beer,if at all! I cant mentally stop thinking about it!

Oh I hear you. I'm just so tired of being exhausted and achy from being so overweight. I'm tired of never looking good and feeling uncomfortable when I realize that I am larger than anyone else at a party - even the men! I'm tired of watching and feeling my health slowly failing as I gain and gain and gain... in spite of trying to diet. I'm sick of being constantly hungry and never ebing satisfyed by a normal serving. I'm sick of spending half of my salary on medications..... I'm leaving all of that behind too. I'm going to keep that in mind while I pick at my meal and watch others eat and while I sip Water while my boyfriend drinks his beer. It's worth it. The mountain that we're leaving behind is immense compared to the few positives we will lose.

I think you are smart to think about that reality, but I also feel like it is prominent enough in your mind that the reality won't be such a slap in the face for you. I'm only about 1 1/2 weeks out but everyone tells me that, tho we kinda "morn" the place that food held in our lives, before we know it, the "new normal" will take over and we will be all the happier and healthier for it. That, after all, IS the whole goal here. Good Luck to you on your journey, and welcome to VST. This is a GREAT site!

I'm 5 months out. Sometimes I surprised at what I don't miss. I used to drink 3-5 glasses of iced tea with a meal. Now none. Doesn't bother me in the least (but I am a bit more careful about temp and spice). I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy dinner out with my friends. I go out at least weekly with friends and do just fine. As long as I don't make a big deal out of it, they don't either. And I do enjoy my food. My mind has adjusted to smaller portions (but believe me, it is more than a cracker) and I no longer crave carbs so focusing on Protein is easy as pie (well, maybe meat pie). Of course everyone is different, but I've been surprised how easy it is to adjust to the lifestyle. As soon as you accept the new norm, then it can be routine and rewarding.

Hope that helps.

You are leaving more behind than you think. Not only will you eat less food and drink slower than you do now, but you'll also leave behind lots of unwanted fat. You'll leave behind the look of pity in other people's eyes as you slowly kill yourself with food. You'll have to get used to being able to walk longer distances instead of huffing and puffing from the car to the store. You'll lose the aching joints from carrying too much weight and you'll lose the constant fear that any little pain might be a precursor to a heart attack.

You will have to get used to buying clothes that arent made by Omar the Tent Maker and, heaven forbid, you'll have to give up shopping in the big and tall/plus sizes section. I know that you will miss being forced to accept whatever Omar decides would look good on an obese person...or at least give maximum coverage.

You'll also lose the fear that you won't be able to perform in bed...and sex might actually become fun again. That may make up for a whole lot of glasses of wine. ;) Oh, and you will gain back some length on the equipment, or so I read in the Man's room. I know that won't be an important and exciting side effect!

Most importantly, I know you won't like the feeling that you get from taking control of your life and your health. I'm certain that won't make up for all the things you'll have to give up. ;)

Good luck on your journey! :)

I went through the same trepidations. The balance sheet of gains and losses tipped toward getting the operation. 2 months out I do not regret my decision. Those things that I thought I would be devastated without were not that important after all. The gains of losing, so well expressed by the previous posters, far compensated me for any deprivation.

I can still enjoy eating, having a dinner with the wife, etc.. The difference is the volume, not the taste. Think about it, once the food has cleared your mouth it doesn't give you any more tasting pleasure it just makes your belly full. I get that now, just sooner. So I eat slow and savor the flavor. :)

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions, you have all helped put my mind at ease!