Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Po & Not Losing

Well tomorrow is my one month mark. I like to say right now this was all worth it but I can't.

I lost 11lbs in the first 9days (duing hell week), but nothing since then. That's almost three weeks without a weight loss? How's that possible?

My NUT says expect 1-3lbs a week but I'm not even doing 1lb. :-(

We went over myfitnesspal tracker that I use on my iPhone, to see what foods I eat and liquids and Vitamins I have and my NUT says I'm doing great. After week two she suggested to take my walking and treadmill exercise from 30min a day to 45-60. Which I did, & Although I feel better, the body doesn't look better. I'm not gaining muscle mass as I'm not working out but the NUT says don't worry it may just be this way for a while, yet my dr says the first three months I'll lose quickly.

What the heck? I can't even lose over three weeks.

I did measure myself & I have lost two inches overall but again, that was prob from the initial 11lb loss.

My month PO is in two days and I'm sure I'll have a lot to say to my dr when I see him.

This is just very frustrating and of course the thoughts of why did I do this echo over & over. I could have probably just committed to Jenny Craig and saved me 20k CASH, and 2 weeks of pain and worry.

Ok... I just needed to see if there's a light at the end of this long lonely tunnel....

Venting over.....

Back to trying to be positive about my future health!!! ;-)

oh, you must feel so discouraged! :-( But I think your body must be in a state of shock right now. I stalled for 3 weeks at 3 weeks post op and I thought I was going to die! How many calories are you getting per day? Make sure you are getting enough-- this was key for me. I have been eating at least 1000 calories a day since 1 month out.. and at least 1300 since 3 months out. I am almost to goal. This has been key for me.

hey teambrown4

i can understand you being pessimistic (for now) but give this a much longer chance. All those other groups, jenny craig, ww - yes we have all been there. But usually the weight comes back - least for me.

With the tool of the sleeve - you should do much better. It is discouraging not to lose weight yet. Hope you will have a good talk with your dr.

I can tell you are doing all the right things with food and exercise.

You took the most important step, the WLS. It wasn't in vain, be positive.

good things will happen to you

best of luck

kathy

Have you talked to anyone about incorporating weights into your activity? I'm 5 days post op and I'm lifting little 5 pound weights, just to try and keep up the muscle mass. I got permission from my nurse first, of course. I'm not saying that'll jump start your weight loss, but I think it will help maintain and/or build up a little more muscle until you're ready for more intense workouts.

teambrown4, I am so sorry to hear of this! I would be frustrated, as well. It will happen, soon! Everyone reacts very differently after surgery. I know I saw people losing 40+ pounds in their first month and thought only losing 20 was a failure. I'm glad you're talking to your NUT, and it sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things. I've found that bumping my exercise to one hour or more a day definitely helps, as does getting in plenty of fluids. They say aim for 64oz but I like to shoot for 80oz. Granted my weight loss has slowed down in March due to some 'injuries' that have me sidelined from normal activity....hang in there!

oh, you must feel so discouraged! :-( But I think your body must be in a state of shock right now. I stalled for 3 weeks at 3 weeks post op and I thought I was going to die! How many calories are you getting per day? Make sure you are getting enough-- this was key for me. I have been eating at least 1000 calories a day since 1 month out.. and at least 1300 since 3 months out. I am almost to goal. This has been key for me.

Sleeve of Steel, I'm curious how you get in that many calories? My NUT wants me to stay below 500-600 calories (I'm 6 weeks out) and I think that's nuts. I get in my Protein, keep my carbs below 40 and of course barely any fat. But I find it hard to get in more than 600 in a given day, just not that hungry. That plus the not drinking before/after meals and wanting to keep my fluids up. My instinct tells me they have me taking in too little, but it's always hard to go against your doctor's advice....

teambrown4, I am so sorry to hear of this! I would be frustrated, as well. It will happen, soon! Everyone reacts very differently after surgery. I know I saw people losing 40+ pounds in their first month and thought only losing 20 was a failure. I'm glad you're talking to your NUT, and it sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things. I've found that bumping my exercise to one hour or more a day definitely helps, as does getting in plenty of fluids. They say aim for 64oz but I like to shoot for 80oz. Granted my weight loss has slowed down in March due to some 'injuries' that have me sidelined from normal activity....hang in there!

Sleeve of Steel, I'm curious how you get in that many calories? My NUT wants me to stay below 500-600 calories (I'm 6 weeks out) and I think that's nuts. I get in my Protein, keep my carbs below 40 and of course barely any fat. But I find it hard to get in more than 600 in a given day, just not that hungry. That plus the not drinking before/after meals and wanting to keep my fluids up. My instinct tells me they have me taking in too little, but it's always hard to go against your doctor's advice....

I understand how you feel! But honestly if I go below 1200 I don't lose an ounce. Here is a typical day for me....... Breakfast -- cottage cheese (not low fat) cals and half a banana. I eat it in about an hour at my desk 250 cals. Mid morning I always have a 2% iced vanilla latte (large from Starbucks ) not sugar free Syrup either. 280 calories. lunch I have about 3/4 cup of a steak burrito bowl with cheese and sour cream and black Beans. 300 calories. snack in the after noon a baby bell cheese and a handful of nuts- 250 calories. dinner I have 3oz of chicken or fish. With 1/8 cup of starchy something and few bites of veggies. 300 calories and there it is!! :-)

• @sleeve of steel, I am two weeks post op, and I appreciate your post. I was thinking the same thing about my weight loss when I am able to eat solids in two weeks. I know it will take me probably a couple of weeks to adjust, but in the past I had to eat to lose.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm sure at some point I'll see changes. I'm not saying I want them all right here right now like massive. Just any would be hopeful! Yes things take time but to just have no results in the beg is not the norm.

Oh well, it is what it is now!;-)

Thanks sleeve of steel for posting this. I have been the same weight within 1 pound for a month. I am really thinking I am not getting enough calories. How can I be eating under 800 a day and NOT be losing???

Frustrated and trying to figure it out.

Julie