Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Gastric Sleeve Journey Has Begun

Hey All,

New guy here, I've been reading this sight for a couple days and have tons left to take in, I love the support that everyone offers, it's nice to have that support group at your finger tips any time night or day. I'm 47, 6'1" and weigh 351 pounds, my BMI is 46 so lets just say, I need this bad. I'm tired of feeling like a "fat bloob", not to mention my joints aching all the time and not being able to do the things I used to do.

While my journey officially started last week with my first visit to my Surgeon, I actually started looking into this a long time ago. Like most, money has always been a stumbling block for me. Luckily, my wife (RN) has a job with Bon Secours and her insurance will cover the procedure. I've been overweight all my life and have tried just about everything out there to help my loose with no real success, I'm very optomistic this will be the tool I've always needed to have success. The program I'm using is very organized and everything that needs to happen prior and after surgery is scheduled and monitored by the Dr's office.

My meeting with the surgeon went well, she said I am a perfect candidate for the Sleeve, I only have a couple of the usual co-mobidities that usually go along with obesiety so that's a real plus.

Today was my day at the hospital going through all the pre-op testing the program requires, had gallons of blood drawn, ultra-sound, EKG, chest X-ray and an upper GI. also went by and signed up for my post surgery exercise classes.

Next week are my appt's. with the nutritionist and Psychologist.

the good thing is that my procedure is "tentatively" scheduled for April 16, I've still got a ton of hoops to jump through but that's good because it will help the time pass before "the date".

UPDATES TO COME!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome to the group!..and congrats on your decision! It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life, and I know it will be for you too. This forum is a great source of encouragement and knowledge so feel free to chime in or ask questions as you need. We are always here!

Again, congrats and welcome!!!

CONGRATS! This is so exciting. The tenative date is great to have. Just remember to take it one day at a time. Things will get done and you will be on your way to skinnyville! Yep, that's right, Skinnyville will be your next stop! lol

This is the best thng I've ever done for myself and I love Skinnyville! Health is my main focus from here on out. I love that my diabetes is gone and my chloresterol is in the normal zone. I have so much energy too!

Yes, you can do this and be successful. Welcome! ;)

Congrats. Im new here too and hope to be following in your footsteps soon. Anthem BC willing. ; )

Hey All, just a quick update. just got back from my appt. with the Psyco (logist), he seemed content that I'm going into this with my eyes open and feels like it's the right thing for me. YAY!!! one more hurdle jumped. now it's just meet with the NUT and wait for the insurance to decide >>>>>>>>>

Great news Helo-Tek! Keep jumping those hurdles, and you are right - having a lot to jump over will only make the time from here until your surgery date go really fast.

Don't forget to be prepared for that day as well, since you might be preoccupied with all your appointments. Start looking for Protein supplements that you like too. Of course there's no guarantee you will like them post op but at least it should be tolerable until your taste buds get back to normal.

All the best!!!