Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you take your meds

I was just wondering how do you take medication after being banded? Does everything have to be in liquid form? What if the medication does not come in liquid.:confused:

okiegirl

DH has been able to continue taking his in pill form. I think it varies person to person, and there's not really a way to predict?

I still take all my meds in pill form. I have one that I have to break into 3 pieces because of the size. I was told as long as it is no bigger than a "Tic-Tac" it should be okay to swallow whole.

When I was first banded, I would crush my pills. That because time consuming and a pure pain in the "patooty". I never had a problem.

I use liquid Tylenol - anything else I break in half. I invested in a pill splitter for anything that doesn't break easily. I use the "size of a TicTac" also and haven't had a problem.

I still swallow my pills whole. One of them is effexor and it's pretty big capsule, but I haven't had any problems. It might be because I take my meds at night when I'm less restricted.

I crush all my meds or take liquid. My doctor said that even tic tac size is too large. It's a royal pain and the meds taste awful crushed, but I do it. I also brush my teeth again immediately after taking meds to prevent long term damage to them. My dentist doesn't think the crushed or liquids will hurt my teeth, but I wanted to be sure.

Pat

You have to check with the pharmacist to see if the pill can be split. I split one that is bigger than the other but don't have problems with the one that is about the size of an M&M.

I have not had a problem with my pills...granted they are "aspirin-sized." My restriction is pretty good right now, and I was worried, but so far, no problems. You'll just have to see how it is for you.

At first I crushed everything...UGH! I have found now that if I drink Hot tea before and during taken my meds, I only have to split the large one's in half. I am taking huge flaxseed capsules with hot tea with no problems.

I take several medications that can't be crushed and don't come in liquid form. I have been very lucky. I have been able to take my medication since the day I was banded 2 weeks ago. The dr. told me it was fine if I could do it, and it wasn't a problem. Everyone is different though.

I crush mine or take liquid forms of them....... Now if I get sick and go to my primary physician I ask him to make sure whatever he has to give me be liquid or crushable. It is a pain however it is something my lap band doctor told me I had to do so, I just do it. I think it just depends on your doctor...it seems that many different doctors have different ways of doing things.

I take a sustained release medication and you can't crush those because it destroys the sustained release ability. The pill is larger than a tic tac, so what does a person do? (I haven't been banded yet, just researching.) BTW, this site is really helpful! You folks are really helping me get my questions answered.

I was taking medication that was time released and the doctor had to write a new prescription for something that was not.....which meant i now take 3 crushed pills instead of 1 non crushed time released pill. Also some pills like Allegra and other allergy medications are time released but I know that claritin has a liquid childrens form but has an adult dosage written on the label. If you are not sure ask your doctor or pharmacist.

I was taking medication that was time released and the doctor had to write a new prescription for something that was not.....which meant i now take 3 crushed pills instead of 1 non crushed time released pill. Also some pills like Allegra and other allergy medications are time released but I know that claritin has a liquid childrens form but has an adult dosage written on the label. If you are not sure ask your doctor or pharmacist.

That's not what I wanted to hear.

I have a Allegra 60mg which I break in half and have no problem taken. It is a 4 hour medication that works great for me.