Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Last Weekend As A Full-Stomached Woman

@sbara...I have 3 friends that were banded. One has gained 40 lbs back...and the other didn't lost near what she thought she would. The 3rd loves hers. But, she is naturally super petite and gained most of her weight from back to back pregnancies. After hearing from the doc the benefits of having the sleeve vs the band, I immediately chose the sleeve. And I have days where thinking of surgery scares me to death also. But, I was scared of giving birth too. I just kept my mind on the end result and that got me thru. I plan on doing the same thing with this surgery!!!

I'm also on Wednesday. I have to say I ate things I put on my extinction list. I only have one day liquids so I'm ready. Good luck fellow sleevers. Hope we all see each other on the losers bench

DON'T EAT!!! I remember how very, very difficult it was to be on Optifast knowing what was ahead. How I craved a last meal! But every time I considered having "one last meal," my husband would remind me that I had a whole bunch of them (the restaurant farewell tour!) before starting the two week liquid phase. As I was wheeled into surgery, I was thinking to myself that if anything did go wrong, at least I wouldn't forever blame myself for maybe complicating things by eating. I think that you'll have much more peace of mind if you do the right thing. And I say this as someone who is still not back on a full diet at 6 weeks out. I know it's hard... But this surgery is so serious that I think it's important to try to be as perfect as possible. Having said that... while on Optifast I did have about an ounce or two of extra Protein each day in the form of something carb-free and low fat, like one ounce of chicken. I was just too hungry otherwise, and I got the ok from my nutritionist to do so. Good luck! Hang tough!

Hang in there ladies!!!! 3 weeks ago, I was getting in the bed as quickly as possible, not because I was excited for surgery, but because I was so hungry and just wanted to eat! But, I got up that Monday, went to the hospital, and had my surgery....my stomach doesn't feel any different at all, and hasn't since surgery. It doesn't feel like any of it is missing. The best thing.... I don't get hungry at all. I have been struggling with Protein, but I'm doing my best. I am in stage 3 of my post op diet, and I literally make myself eat, just so I have my nutrition. My family always has a dinner out on the weekends, and although the steaks, baked potatoes, buffalo wings and pizza all look amazing, there is no way I will put that mess in my body again! You can still eat healthy, and enjoy it at the same time. You just have to improvise, and learn to make revisions in your diet.

I was 150 in high school, just 12 years ago. But after having 3 boys, over the last 10 years, I focused on them, and ate when I had the time, when I was sad, happy, mad...it didn't matter, I just enjoyed eating. It became mental for me, and even now...I still have a few lapses of that same mentality, not hungry, just wanting it...you just have to be stronger than the mind, and go for your goals!! Good luck ladies!!! Prayers to you all for a safe surgery!!!

Writergirl, that's how I feel. That's what has kept me from even taking a bite of the food my family has been eating. What if I don't lose just enough weight and have complications during surgery, all because I couldn't resist a slice of bacon? I feel like if I'm going to go through the effort, the expense, the pain, the fatigue, why oh why should I ruin all that over a cookie? Or a bite of macaroni & cheese? Not gonna happen! I have not strayed at all from the Optifast plan. Down 16 pounds in less than 2 weeks and my stomach feels looser already.

Two more days!!!

Well, after reading this post - I must've missed the message because this past weekend was my last "full" stomach weekend as well, and I didn't do nearly as much damage as I wanted too! LOL.. I was so busy organizing my husband's b'day party, cooking, prepping, etc.. I really wasn't hungry. But wouldn't you know - today is my first day of the 3 day pre op diet .. and I'm about to chew my arms off! I'm ridiculously starving! I'm really trying to keep my head in the game, but I'm too light headed to think straight!

What I worry about the most after surgery (which is Friday 3/9.. yikes!!) is the head hunger. I don't want to have that - it's like being caught between a rock and a hard place... wanting to eat, feeling the need to eat - but not bein physically able to do so... Also, I feel like a part of me is changing before my very eyes... Isn't that crazy?? Like I am losing some of my personality because it's so wrapped up in food... what the heck is wrong with me?? LOL.. sorry, just had a temporary lapse in sanity!

Good luck to all of us with our upcoming surgeries!

Seannie

Tomorrow is my day....Don't cheat!! I was told to absolutely positively NOT to cheat 3 days before the surgery. I have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. It wasn't so bad.

The pre-op diet is the worst part! I had my surgery on February 16th and I was so worried about not being able to eat whatever I wanted! My biggest thing was diet coke. I drank it up until the day of surgery and honestly dirt junk I would survive without soda. After surgery, trust me, you won't want to eat. There's no hunger pains and the discomfort of eating too much is enough to break that habit! Good luck on everyone's surgery. Stay focused through the liquid diet and the rest will be ok!

Today was Day 2 of my PreOp Diet. And I'm pretty surprised I didn't chew my own arm off, too!! And I'm drinking so much Water (because I'm SO hungry) that it feels like I'm peeing every 5 minutes!!

Today was Day 2 of my PreOp Diet. And I'm pretty surprised I didn't chew my own arm off' date=' too!! And I'm drinking so much Water (because I'm SO hungry) that it feels like I'm peeing every 5 minutes!![/quote']

Day 2 and 4 were the worst for me. You can do this! Just stay focused! :)

Writergirl, that's how I feel. That's what has kept me from even taking a bite of the food my family has been eating. What if I don't lose just enough weight and have complications during surgery, all because I couldn't resist a slice of bacon? I feel like if I'm going to go through the effort, the expense, the pain, the fatigue, why oh why should I ruin all that over a cookie? Or a bite of macaroni & cheese? Not gonna happen! I have not strayed at all from the Optifast plan. Down 16 pounds in less than 2 weeks and my stomach feels looser already.

Two more days!!!

That's fantastic! You're in the home stretch now, and this is the right attitude to begin your new life! I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Let me know how it goes!

Texas Steph,

I'm also in Texas BTW.

"Some have told me good stories and some bad. I am really happy I am choosing the sleeve"

I also had to choose the sleeve over the lapband. I am a military wife and I met a woman who is 2 years post-op. I am not sure what she looked like before but she is still very overweight in my opinion. She seems to be in denial about the situation saying she just hasn't gotten her fills because she's a nurse and her doctor listens to her. But who would go through that much pain and NOT want to be at a normal weight?!?

I'm glad I chose the vertical sleeve as well. I wish you the VERY BEST of luck and care.

Cynthia

P.S. the dietitian told me that there will usually be a window of about 6 months where we will have NO appetite at all. That is a blessing. We should agree together to use that time of blessing to learn no ways of eating healthy and ignoring the fat. I DO NOT want to regain this weight in 5 years as so many do. :unsure:

Tomorrow is my day....Don't cheat!! I was told to absolutely positively NOT to cheat 3 days before the surgery. I have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. It wasn't so bad.

Did you cheat???? Even a little??????

Last day of pre-op diet. Down 18 pounds! I'm trying to drink lots of Water because I can't have anything after midnight and my surgery isn't until 12:30. That's a long time to go without water. Anyway, in less than 24 hours I will have a new stomach! I can't believe it's here already.

Your gonna do great! See you soon on the loser's bench! I wish you an awesome recovery :)

A week before my surgery my Dr saw that I hit my goal weight and said "now don't go crazy before the surgery" and I couldn't stop laughing because he knew me so well! Lol I did a 4 day "last" meals! I think I had pizza, Pasta, bread, baked lamb and kfc. I'm happy I did, I do wish I went to a buffet tho hahaha. This helped because after surgery I appreciated the fact that I was able to eat my unhealthy foods and that part of me is gone. I didn't crave a lot of fast food but I still had my head hunger. I dined and parted ways with my 225 lb self and moved on. Don't regret a thing!