Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I know I'm probably being a wuss, but how many of us had a catheter inserted for the surgery? I really hadn't thought about it until my wife was reading over the literature last night that the hospital gave us. The literature said one would be used. PANIC set in immediately! I've never had one and I know they will likely do it while I'm put under, but it doesn't matter. Some people are scared of heights, snakes, Water or whatever. For me it has always been a catheter. I didn't get any sleep last night.

Does the patient have any input in this? I will likely use the restroom prior to surgery, which is only one hour, and made to get out of bed soon after recovery, which I will gladly do.

It is up to the doctor and you should inquire about this. I have heard others say their doctors automatically use them for the surgery. My doctor didn't, we were just required to use the restroom prior to surgery. But realistically there was nothing there since you are not allowed to eat or drink after midnight. My surgery wasn't until after 10 am. However, I did require one after surgery. After several hours of fluids I was required to urinate which didn't happen after sitting on the toilet 45 mins. The nurse explained some people's bodies shut down and need a little boosting.

I didn't have a catheter and as a nurse I know most people don't have one for vsg.

I know I didn't have one. I have also had other surgeries where they had to inform us that one may be used. But Never did have one. This is something I wouldn't worry about. You most likely won't need to have one. This is your fear talking!

Do discuss this with your doc. Don't like they change your mind. This has been the best thing that's ever happen and I would make the same decision over and over again. ;)

Like you, I had some apprehension about the catheter, maybe not to the phobia level, but still a potentially unpleasant unknown for me. Yes, it is usually put in once you are under, and it was a non-issue once I woke up again. It was actually somewhat of a blessing in that getting up and out of bed was an uncomfortable effort that needed assistance that first day, and given the amount of fluids that they are running thru you, I was glad that getting up was an optional thing for the sake of exercise and not a necessity to relieve bladder. Removal wasn't a real big deal, either - it felt odd but not particularly painful or anything. I remember telling the nurse that, 'gee, most things coming out of there feel rather pleasant, but this.... '

done. I know that none of us are overly enthused about having others play with our equipment down there for non-recreational purposes, but it was really a non-issue and an overall positive. I have read that some patients have protested their use and their doc has accomodated, but that's an individual doc thing - it can't hurt to ask if it's that big of a concern.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Hi Cobra

I DID have a catheter put in in while i was under, so obviously it didn't hurt at all.

Shorly after i was put in my room as they were about to remove the catheter, the nurse said relax and before i knew it - catheter was gone. Don't stress over it. There was no problem. Plus it is up to the discression of the Dr. if you do or don't have a catheter.

Have a "great" surgery... and don't worry about things beyond your control.

Best

kathy

It's so funny to see how individual experiences are! Kathy and I had the same surgeon, only in different hospitals (in the same town) and I did not have a catheter put in. The nurses just had me go pee right before I was taken back and I got up to pee again shortly after surgery.

I had one inserted while I was out and they took it out the next morning at 6am. It really wasn't that bad at all but I too was very nervous about it in the week leading up to surgery. I was pretty out of it after surgery due to the pain meds and anestesia, so it didn't bother me at all - I actually didn't even think about it.

Had my surgery with Dr F Garcia in Tijuana and I did not have a catheter nor did anyone that had surgery while I was there. I would ask you doctor about it.

I had a cathater for about 24 hrs that was put in during surgery. It ended up being no big deal. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping my doctor will stop by to see me early enough that we can talk about it before it gets done by a nurse. My fingers are crossed!

No kidding..I posted the SAME topic about two and a half months ago. I even called my surgeons office to ask if I could 'opt out' of the catheter (the answer was no.) I posted it on here and got a lot of good advice and you know, the nurses really don't care. As one of my friends said (she is a labor and delivery nurse so she definitely sees it all) its just like an arm to them, just another body part.

So the day of surgery I requested that a female insert the catheter. I just felt more comfortable with it and they honored that request, very respectfully actually. And then after surgery, as much as I didn't want it, the last thing I wanted to do was get up so it actually turned out to be a good thing. The lady in the bed next to me didn't have a catheter (different surgeon) and she had to constantly get up and put this measuring cup thing in the toilet to measure how much she was going. They just checked my bag. And you know, I thought I was going to be embarressed walking around the hospital floor (doing my laps) with my bag hanging on that wheely thing....nope, no one cared. I supposed the old man yelling "I have to poop!" from his room so loud that a lot of people could hear him, lessened my anxiety about appearances. lol. Nor did I really care after surgery.

After a day I asked to have it removed and because I was putting enough out, the nurse took it out, and it didn't hurt at all. I hear its a little more unpleasant for a guy, but nothing that's too bad. And then anytime I got up to go, I made sure to do a couple laps around the floor. It was painful enough to get in and out of bed so I figured lets make it worth it. The docs also thought I was going to have to stay for a couple extra days in the hospital because of an allergy they found out I had to morphine and was throwing up the first night, but because I was so diligent about walking and getting my breathing up to par, I was released after two days instead of three or four.

Sorry for the long post, but I totally understand your fear about the catheter. I was RIGHT THERE too!! But you'll be okay. I wasn't nervous about the surgery at all, just the catheter....but trust me and everyone else says...it really isn't bad.

I had the same question for my surgeon last week! He said they use liquids to test for leaks while in surgery so I will need a catheter to prevent me from having to get up 20 times to use the bathroom. He said he will take it out the mornin after surgery and it won't be a big deal. In the grand scheme of things I'm not too worried - this is my first ever surgery so I'm pretty terrified about the whole thing. I'm lucky my surgeon is so easy to talk to - I trust him!

For a bit, I think that I was more concerned with having a catheter than I was with having a major surgery. I decided not to stress about it. I watched a video or two online about the insertion of catheters and became a little more comfortable with the idea. For the duration of time that I had a catheter while in the hospital, it really did make life easier. After the surgery, I was out of it for a bit, so it would not have been easy or convenient to have to get up periodically to urinate even if I was getting up every now and then to walk the hallway. And when mine was removed, it didn't hurt or bother me at all. I experienced absolutely no discomfort from my catheter at any time. :)

Best of luck with your surgery! :)

If you have to have a catheter then have them put it in once you are under. That way you do not have to indure the pressure and discomfort of it going in. Then you only have to worry about it coming out.