Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't tell any of my in laws until I was about 6 months post op...and I haven't really even spoken to most of them about any details just told a few of them lol.

It's been almost 3 years for me now. My kids know, my boyfriend knows, my best friend who was sleeved a week after me knows and that's about it. Everyone knows I work out like crazy. People are pretty used to it by now.

While i was losing weight, I just told everyone I was doing a liquid diet for 2 meals and a low carb dinner and I was determined this time to not gain it all back. I was going to the gym every day before I ever had WLS.

I guess a decent amount of people know by now, but it's just family/friends and my fiance's friends - basically, anyone who knew me at 200+ lbs and has seen me eat on multiple occasions. I figured I'd rather my fiance's friends know about my WLS than assume I'm an anorexic. But no one at school knows (besides my close friends), and I generally don't tell people who never knew me when I was obese. I think about it at the gym sometimes - I go to a Crossfit gym, so there's a pretty tight-knit community, and I often wonder if I should tell these people that I used to be obese, especially when some of the women complain to me about having to lose 20 lbs, or whatever. I don't know, though, I figure, if I had had a mastectomy and had a prosthetic breast or something, I wouldn't be walking around telling everyone and their mother, so why talk about my WLS unless necessary?

My original plan was to tell only my 2 besties, my Mom & my 2 sisters. My boss & co-workers all knew, I just didn't want my entire health nut family to know...Well, my Mother told my ENTIRE family & my sister told EVERYBODY at the Wal-Mart & Kroger where we shop...Soooo it's not exactly a secret anymore! :/

@terri...that's exactly what will happen to me also if I told certain people and asked them not to tell anyone. And I have to tell these people...so...I am just going to tell anyone that asks or notices I look different and I don't care what anyone thinks about it...

I've told most anyone who has either complimented me on my weight loss or if I've had to go out to eat with them (lots of work associates, clients, etc.). I'm a pretty open person in general so it hasn't bothered me; I had some friends at work who were concerned about me before surgery but they are thrilled for me now. I even encouraged a girl at work to get sleeved and she says it's the best thing she ever did! There are a few others who are considering it too.

My husband knows and my good friend who just got sleeved in December knows - & that's it.

everyone thinks im just having gallbladder surgery.

I am not going to tell ANYONE and if I could get away with not telling husband I would (I fear he will tell one person and then the whole town will know!). In fact, I have not told him yet. Trying to work up the nerve.

I plan on telling people starting out that I am walking, and eating very carefully and working my way up to more intense exercise...then they will see me at the gym. All my friends are in shape (they do work at it) and look great...I don't want their opinions. Plus I live in "very small town USA" and it is no exaggeration if one person knows your business than everyone is likely to know your business! However, I do plan on getting plastic surgery (boob and face lift) once I lose the weight and I have no problem sharing that information (probably because half of my friends have and half of the town has! So...there is less stigma). Thank goodness for the support of other forum members...it has helped me, since I cannot vent or express to friends or family.

I've told everyone and anyone that will listen to me...my reasoning behind this...I'll have tons of support systems no matter where I go...from school to the store to the gym....and if they don't like it screw em! I'm doing this for me and no one else :)

I am an open book. I have told everyone that I know. There are a few who told me I wasn't heavy enough blah blah blah. I had diabetes and high cholesterol too boot. When I reflected on one on their reactions, it was coming from someone who was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years age and doesn't take his medications for diabetes or HBP. But other people have been great too me, who knows what they say behind my back. I don't really care. I did tell my sister in law and my nephew because my nephew ashed what I was doing to loose weight. So I figured I would just be truthful and he was really interested. And of course, I'm sure the whole family knows now. ;)

I told my hubby, sister, parents, and best friend (who had bypass surgery) a few years ago. My sister and parents were okay with it. Hubby and bestie don't like it, but are being supportive.

I told my parents and my husband and my older daughter. I am not sure if I should have told my parents now that I think about it. My Dad has been very supportive but I do worry if the surgery doesn't work for me, he will be judging me. He has worried about my weight as an adult and has even been rude a few times. He has gotten better about that now that he is older and knows how much it hurts me when he says things about it. I just worry if I don't lose all of the weight with my surgery that he is going to lay into me and give me hell. I hope I lose it all and don't have to hear anything negative. I only told them because I felt like they needed to know in case something happened. The other downfall is my stepmom, while she is a total darling and raised me from the time I was 4 years old, has a big mouth. I'm pretty sure she's told a few other family members, I know a fact she told one of them who is a well known gossip. Soooo be careful who you tell. I didn't want anyone else knowing and I know my mom told another family members so just be careful. I don't regret telling them but I do wish they would keep their mouths shut to others LOL. I also worry about my Dad judging me if for some reason the surgery doesn't do the job for me. It's a catch 22. But all in all, that is all I wanted to say :-). I only told a few people but if you tell a family member you can't be sure they won't tell a couple of other family members LOL.

I told my hubby, sister, parents, and best friend (who had bypass surgery) a few years ago. My sister and parents were okay with it. Hubby and bestie don't like it, but are being supportive.

If you best friend had bypass why would she not like you having WLS?

If you best friend had bypass why would she not like you having WLS?

She Comes from a good place. She had a rough go of it and doesn't want to see me go through that. She also knows that I can get it off without surgery. But as I explained to her, without the restriction, the weight will most definitely come back. She is being supportive and will go with me to the intake session to ask any questions I may not think of.