Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from San Anotnio?

Hi everyone!!

I posted this in the Lounge but had no responses. I thought this would be a better place anyway.:)

I was wondering if there was anyone here from San Antonio? My husband and I currently live in WA state and are seriously considering moving to TX. My husbands work is opening up a plant in SA and he has put in paperwork for a transfer. Frankly, we are looking for a better life. We hate living paycheck to paycheck and sometimes not even making that! :) We seem to always be paying the first bill that is threatening to shut us off. :) I have done quite a bit of research on SA and feel it would be really good move for us.

What's the best way to look for a job over there? I would like to have one lined up before we move and not after. Also, I would like to find a nice neighborhood to rent in for awhile. I don't want the stress of trying to buy a house from another state. We are renting here and are not locked in a lease. We want a neighborhood with reasonable rent but don't need HIGH rent. :) Any info out there at all would be wonderful!!

BTW, I know it get's hot. I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley.....115 in the summer and fog in the winter. I'm pretty sure I will be fine. AND, once I can get my band and get the weight off, I know heat won't bother me as much. :laser:

Thanks guys!

Amy

Hi there Amy! I live in Houston, but have to say I LOVE San Antonio!!

I hope all goes well for your husband on the job transfer front... believe me when I say I know about the paycheck-2-paycheck parallel lives we're living! I've been divorced for 6 years now, have full custody of 9 yr old son with some special needs. Just going to the mailbox depresses me, so I put it off and manage to do bill retrieval once a week. I'm real good at procrastination!

My advice is to log onto Yahoo Groups and join SanAntonioBandsters -- I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms... and probably have some insight as to neighborhoods, etc. Besides, a good support group for living with the band. (There's no comparison with LBT, but it helps to have a local group to meet with also - especially when you make the big move)

http://www.monster.com/ might give you an idea of current job listings in the area. Another good resource is the Texas Workforce Commission http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

I wish you all the best with your upcoming decision, keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

Karla

Well I just sold my house in SA. I am in Houston now, but can't wait to go back! As far as a job goes it really depends on what you do for a living. As far as real estate it depends on what you want to pay. SA is known for it's low cost of living, BUT the pay is usually on the lower scale so it all washes out. If you are looking to pay $600/mo in rent or lower you need to stay on the south and west sides. The North side is MUCH safer, but MUCH more expensive. Remember the population in SA in primarily hispanic, with a lot of immigrant labor. But I am partial to SA and love it and miss it very much. If you want to buy a house their are REALLY good deals out there! Man am I homesick!

Thank you for the posts!! Anotherme, thanks for the websites. I have been going to monster.com. The Texas workforce site was great!

Bswint, thanks for the information. When you say rent is much higher, what do you mean? I currently pay $1012 for a 3 bedroom townhouse. Why are you partial to SA? What about Austin? I personally feel SA is better but want an opinion of someone who has actually been there! :)

Also, I am in the payroll field. Have been doing payroll for over 9 years. The jobs I have seen are only slightly less in pay than I am making here. SO, if I can get one of those jobs, then I will be set. One thing that I think might be a challenge is someone wanting to interview me knowing they will have to wait a few weeks so I can give notice and move. :rolleyes It is looking like my husband will have quite a few opportunities. He missed out on the transfer with his company. However, he really doesn't want to continue doing that the rest of his life (he works for Toyota as a driver). He is a computer guy and there seems to be quite a few opportunities for tech guys. He does not have a degree and it is required here where you can use experience over in SA instead. He's been working on computers for 20 years.

Why did you move to Houston? Do you mind if I PM you and talk get some more info?

Amy

go ahead and pm me. I was born and raised in SA. On the northside of SA a 3bedroom townhouse or condo will cost between $1000-1300/mo. Now there are places that are older and are a little less expensive. And the new places to live forget it. They are REALLY proud of their property. I went to one and they are wanting $1650/mo for a 3 bedroom @1020 sq. feet. feel free to pm me.

BRian