Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Was Sooo Bad Yesterday!

I've been testing my limits to see what I can eat. So far I have had no problems with any food. So what do I do yesterday? I have some Gumbo, deviled eggs, potato salad, a slice of Sugar Free Chocolate pie and a not so sugar free cheesecake brownie bar. This was all one meal! The only reaction I had was what felt like a good buzz after not smoking in a while. I'm assuming that was from the sugar in the brownie bar. Then later in the evening when everyone went out after my daughter's basketball game I ate the meat and cheese off of a Jr sized burger and a handful of fries just because they were in front of me. Finally my stomach started to feel full but not before I busted my calorie allowance for the day! I'm wondering why I can eat everything I can and why I'm not having problems with sugar. Maybe I didn't have as much as I thought or powdered sugar is less potent than cane sugar? Either way, I need to slow down. I don't want to fall back into old habits!

It looks llike your not even a month out yet and I would be really worried about injuring your fresh staple line with all of that type of food. Your stomach hasn't had time to heal yet and you could cause a leak eating the wrong foods. Be careful that is the last thing you want to happen.

I am making sure that I chew pretty thoroughly. My doctor made my sleeve bigger than average and I have been tolerating soft solids very well since about week 2. But I do know I def should not have had the french fries!

Woww. At 4 weeks out i was still eating soft foods like yogurt, Protein shakes, sf puddings, and maybe a scrambled egg. I am fearful of not losing my weight so I try to under eat my sleeve. I myself would not be able to eat what you at in one meal. I am 4.5 months post op and maybe eat 2 oz of dense Protein, a bite or 2 of veggies and I am so done. Full to the brim. I did have a bad day yesterday and ate more than I should have, and have learned a lesson. I will never do that again. I like not feeling my stomach feel compressed.

Please take it slow. What's the rush. This is the time to change all the old habits that contributed to your weight before surgery. Don't have those horrible foods in your house where you can see them and have the head hunger that not real hunger. It's really really hard, but you can do this. ;)

With the size of my sleeve I can eat between 3 and 4 oz comfortably. I didn't eat a whole lot of any 1 thing but I did over do it by eating the things I shouldn't. This was at a family gathering. I would be doing a lot worse if I had these kind of foods at home! The sugar free pie was in lieu of birthday cake at my insistence. Some family members weren't thrilled about it but hey, it's my birthday so get over it!!! Seriously, if it weren't for food I don't think my family would ever get together. I'm sure that's partially the reason I have the weight problems that I do. I know that I can't make them eat healthier but I can request healthier choices be made available for me. Now...if I could just stick to those healthier choices! Ugh

I wouldn't be "testing my limits" a month out, personally. You are not really considered fully healed until 3 months out.

I hope that you're able to get it under control. I had surgery about 3 days before you did and there is zero way I could eat 1/5th of what you did. What worries me is that you may be overstuffing your sleeve - you may not feel "bursting full" because your nerves haven't fully healed yet. That is a dangerous proposition. You could be damaging your sleeve - its not necessarily the types of food you're eating at this point, but how MUCH.

I wouldn't be "testing my limits" a month out, personally. You are not really considered fully healed until 3 months out.

What she said :)

I hope to never test my limits. That's what got a lot of us here in the first place.

WOW! I will be 7 weeks out tomorrow and thought I was bad on Saturday by eating 2 ribs over the course of an hour! LOL! I am still not allowed to have the things you ate on Saturday and I'm further out than you. No rice (I'm assuming the Gumbo had rice in it), no Desserts, and no fries. I've made deviled eggs and tried a little potato salad.

Sweets are my weakness and plan to wait until I'm 4 months out to even sample anything like that. I'm proud of myself for not deviating from my NUT's plan. I do not want to sabotage myself which I have done so many times in the past.

The more that I read, the more I realize that my sleeve must be small. Someone posted the other day that they ate 8 buffalo wings in one sitting. I went out to dinner on Friday and was STUFFED after 3 wings! :o

With the size of my sleeve I can eat between 3 and 4 oz comfortably. I didn't eat a whole lot of any 1 thing but I did over do it by eating the things I shouldn't. This was at a family gathering. I would be doing a lot worse if I had these kind of foods at home! The sugar free pie was in lieu of birthday cake at my insistence. Some family members weren't thrilled about it but hey, it's my birthday so get over it!!! Seriously, if it weren't for food I don't think my family would ever get together. I'm sure that's partially the reason I have the weight problems that I do. I know that I can't make them eat healthier but I can request healthier choices be made available for me. Now...if I could just stick to those healthier choices! Ugh

The amount of food you can eat sounds pretty standard. I think most of us are "supposed" to be able to eat between 4-6oz. What we can actually eat is an entirely different story.

We all slip every once in a while - it was a special occasion so it's completely understandable! One day isn't going to make or break your success, but I agree with PP that at only a month out I'd try to be a little more careful of what I put in my sleeve just to be better safe than sorry. I'm 5 weeks out and just started eating crackers, but only after I chew them to death!

Oh no, no rice. I'm not going to attempt rice or bread any time soon. It may be hard to believe but I do have some sense!

I haven't dared try crackers or anything crunchy like that yet. Well, aside from the fries which were the crinkle kind and were cut thick so they were soft.

The more that I read, the more I realize that my sleeve must be small. Someone posted the other day that they ate 8 buffalo wings in one sitting. I went out to dinner on Friday and was STUFFED after 3 wings! :o

Same here! 3 wings from wingstop and I'm done! Makes 2 meals out of a 6 piece :)

Same here! 3 wings from wingstop and I'm done! Makes 2 meals out of a 6 piece :)

Ahhh! Wingstop! They closed the one in my area a couple of years ago! I miss them. <_<

*back to topic*

Ahhh! Wingstop! They closed the one in my area a couple of years ago! I miss them. <_<

*back to topic*

We moved away from wingstop and suffered! Luckily there was a local restaurant with good wings - but I LOVE the garlic/parm ones! BW3's has nothing on Wingstop!