Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curves? Beneficial Or Not?

I have a treadmill at home and I also walk along the beach traiil as much as possible, but I really need to tone up my upper arms. I have two friends who go to Curves, and they swear by it. Both of my doctors say that Curves is a waste of money and not beneficial. Do any of you go to Curves and what is your feeling about getting results from there? It is hard for me to believe that from what I hear about the workouts, you can get any results at just 1/2 hour a day on all the machines, but I can't really say since I have never seen it in action. I met a bunch of ladies yesterday at a Bunco party who all go to Curves, and they didn't especially look trim. (Although it may just be a social outlet for them)! Please give me your opinion on Curves if you have gone and tell me if it works or not (for my upper arms)! And is it expensive, or is it better to just go to a women's gym and concentrate on the upper arms? i don't want to get into a long term contract or anything. Thanks so much! Janet

Well, I joined Curves 6 weeks ago (yes it is a year long contract about 36 a month) and I have lost 10 inches and 10 lbs in those six weeks. Surgery 6 months ago. The machines are hydrolic so what you put into it, you get out of it...I love it. I don't think it is a long term solution (I will at least do the year) but I need to get my workouts done asap and I'm pretty happy with my results so far!

How many times a week do you have to go? Do you have to sign like a 6 month or so contract? I need it to tone my upper arms, like I said.. I am only about 20 lbs. from my weight loss goal. Thanks!

I went to Curves several years ago, but didn't find it especially rewarding as far as toning anything. I've done much better on my own with my 3 workouts a week at home using light weights and high repetitions. I now have definition showing in my upper arms and thighs. I'm so proud of my biceps that it's sick! :)

I do think that a good exercise routine is very important in this journey. I'm just not sure that Curves is it.

I went to Curves about five years ago and, honestly, I prefer a standard gym. I enjoy spending as much time on a machine as I think I need, and to go to any machine without being on a specific circuit. Granted my experience was 5 years ago, but my current gym (YMCA) has way more machines than Curves did. Also, (and this has to do with the particular Curves I was at) the women were not particularily pleasant at the one I went to. I think some women like going to Curves because it's an all women gym, but working out around guys never bothered me.

I tried it a couple of years ago, and honestly didn't even feel like I was getting a work out. It wasn't even enough for me to work up a sweat. I tried it for about six weeks and never noticed any difference so I finally quit. Now I go to Planet Fitness and absolutely love it and am definitely feeling the burn and seeing a difference.

It is a year contract, but I think there are ways to get out of it. I also went 10yrs and then 5 years ago and there were only about 8 machines then....now there is at LEAST twice that many. As I said, it is hydrolic and you have to pump it as fast you can. They have a new system that tracks your personal range and you personal info on it. Also one of the machines is a stair stepper which gives you your heart rate along with a chart so you can track your appropriate heart rate for your age....it doesn't hurt to check it out and see what you think. Oh and they now have a large stretching thing that helps you stretch after the workout. Just my opinion...check it out!

curves is beneficial to someone who doesn't have and pretty much has never had a workout regimen, or for anyone that isn't comfortable at a gym. how DARE anyone in the medical profession say that movement and exercise isn't beneficial. That just irritates the ever lovin' hell outta me. I think its a great way to get started!

I do not know if where you live has this but here in Florida we have a gym named FIT FOR 10.

It costs $10. a month. It is awesome.

curves is beneficial to someone who doesn't have and pretty much has never had a workout regimen, or for anyone that isn't comfortable at a gym. how DARE anyone in the medical profession say that movement and exercise isn't beneficial. That just irritates the ever lovin' hell outta me. I think its a great way to get started!

If you walk the same block at 2 mph clapping your hands, if you enjoy it and stick to it, thats better than giving up after a few weeks or month or hating your routine.

I have never been to curves so I can't speak specifically of it. I could guess it is destressing if it is social, but also possibly a very good way to develop some bad habits on machines if yo ujust go as fast as you can - form is very, very, very important. That may be a reason why you would not see many results.

I would say if you use curves still keep a core muscle routine.

I agree that Curves is a good place to start if you don't have much of a background in fitness. Plus it's nice for those who feel self-conscious with weird men ogling them. My fiance's grandma recently joined Curves and she's lost 10 lbs.

I belonged several years ago. It is a franchise, so not all curves are the same, and the one that is convenient to you might close down (happened to me). My impression was that it was fine, but kind of like elementary school, with paper cut-outs with your name on them on a bulletin board if you did well.

You go through a circuit, so while your arms may be important, you kind of have to do the whole thing, especially if you go when it is busy. You do a machine, and then after the time interval, you move over one machine. You don't get to just go use the machines to your liking.

If you want to work on your upper arms specifically, you could buy some hand weights and use those during your walks, or get some routines off the internet. I think that would yield better results than Curves if you have the rest of your routine in order. Plus, hand weights are cheap and a one-time expense. If those don't work, you could always revisit the Curves idea.

Curves isn't bad, but it isn't very gym-ish, IMO. It is great for people who need to tone up some, but I wouldn't call it a super serious work out.

I'm with Amanda on the closing down part. That is something I always warn ppl about with Curves. I know in AL and GA at least, they seem to always be closing. So you could sign and pay the joining fee and monthly fee just to find out it's closing in 2 or 3 weeks! Buyer beware!!!

I joined curves back in 2004 when I was on weight watchers and actually lost 46 lbs or so. I did love the fact that it was all women because I was big and felt uncomfortable at a regular gym. I didn't like the long contract and it was pretty expensive for basically just a circuit ...do you have a FITNESS 19 in your area, it's only $10 a month, and it's month to month.

I belonged to Curves a few years ago (pre-op). I liked it but it does have its limitations. The various machines work different parts of your body, and you are constantly moving from one station to another. Our Curves used to change the machines around every few weeks so it would disrupt the routine and make it feel a little different (even though it was the same machines). One thing I really liked about Curves was the music selection they used. There was always some good fast-beat workout music that kept things going at a good clip. It made the time pass quickly. I also had a fairly steady routine and got to know several of the other women who were regulars. We'd chat while working out. As I was very heavy and very self-conscious about my weight, I liked that it was a small gym and only women (several of whom were also overweight, so I didn't feel so out of place). It was a nice convivial environment.

I stuck with it for 6 or 7 months and lost some weight, but then got distracted and stopped going, and a few months later the Curves closed down w/o much advance notice. About a year later a new fitness center opened up in the same shopping center, and it was a full-service fitness center with tons of machines and classes and trainers, etc., for the same price as Curves had been -- which made me think that Curves was really over-priced for what you get.

Also, I believe Curves does allow a trial period before you join. You should definitely ask for that before you sign a contract. If you have a choice in fitness centers, before you join Curves you should check out the alternatives. You'll probably find a better deal elsewhere, and, like others have said, I think Curves have a tendency to disappear in the dark of night, which could be a nasty surprise if you pre-paid your membership.