Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Be Dehydrated If I'm Getting In 80-96Oz Of Fluids Per Day?

I'm 26 days post op and have had no complications until recently. I'm in the mushy phase, hitting my Protein goals every day (75-90g) and keeping my carbs under 40g. I drink constantly (except of course 30 before/after eating "food). I have a 22oz Water bottle I fill at least 2-3x daily, plus my 10-12oz Protein shakes 2x daily, usually a 12oz hot tea, and occasionally another 4-8oz of broth. I upped my exercise gradually this week, from 45min walks to 1hour walks. And today I was able to do 8.5 miles on the bike in 75 minutes at a decent pace. Felt great while I was riding, but then felt worse 2-3 hours later.

My doctor has me taking the PPI in the morning, Multivitamin 2x daily, sublingual B12, Calcium chews 3x daily, and this week I started the Actigall 2x daily. He also put me on a slow release potassium pill.

The past three days I've had a low-grade headache, I'm more nauseous than ever (no vomiting), and now I'm feeling some twitchy pain in my lower back (near where my kidneys are located). And despite how much Fluid I get in, my urine output seems to have decreased.

I'm worried that those are the classic signs of dehydration which can lead to kidney stones. Can someone be dehydrated with that much Fluid? ! I'm also worried my electrolytes are low considering I get far less than the 1500mg of sodium allowed daily, and with how much I sweat during activity. My water bottle is always with me on my walks/rides.

It sounds like you are getting plenty of fluids but also probably sweating out alot too. I would def talk to your doctor about this. He/She will be the best ppl to give you advice. Or even your Nutritionist. Dehydration is serious,and it's like once you get dehydrated,it's hard to get rehydrated,especially with our now small tummies.

But kudos to you for going 8.5 miles on a bike. I can't even remember the last time I was on a bike,maybe I need to invest in one...lol

I dont think your dehydrated but after excercising I do find it helpful to drink a Protein Shake and a cup of Powerade Zero. This has helped me when I do ride my bike and was experiencing dizziness. You are doing great with your excerising routine, definitely call your doctor.

I'm not a doctor nor have any medical background so I couldn't comment one way or another another about dehydration per se. But I am wondering if you need some blood work. Could it be related to the potassium? I would definitely talk to MD to see what's up. I can't imagine that is is related to dehydration since you take in so much fluid... again, I'm no md. Sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted!

My initial thought is no. I wouldn't imagine it was dehydration. It does sound like carb withdrawal. You are eating under 40 grams of carbs a day and when I started doing that I initially felt very sick. All the symptoms you described. But then you said you are 26 days out so I would not think you'd still be feeling that way from carb withdrawal at this point. I will say that anytime I cut out sugar and white flour and carbs drastically I get very sick like this. But if you've been doing the same thing for 26 days and this is a new symptom then that's probably not it. So in that case I would just say to call the doctor. I'm one to err on the side of caution. Also can you come back and let us know how you're doing? I am thinking of you!!

I would call my doctor. You are drinking a lot of fluids, and exercising. It may be time for some blood work. Let us know, we are all invested in you. ;)

It could be a bladder/kidney/UT infection

I'm suspecting it's my electrolytes or my Iron. I've had bladder/UT infections before and this is nothing like that. I personally think the 40g carb limit is too restrictive at almost four weeks out, in trying to get in proper levels of things like sodium, magnesium, etc. I'm drinking the Protein drinks within 30 minutes of working out. Having been active before in my life, it really does feel like I'm not recovering like I should. I'm losing at a rate of about 1/2-3/4 of a pound a day, so something's working. I just hate feeling like crap getting there.

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow.

Thinking of you! Hope you feel better soon! ((HUGS))