Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Went Swimming

YEY!

Those of you who know me, know that I've been threatening to go swimming for a few weeks now...

I kept putting it off and putting it off, you know that 'fat girl syndrome'... I didn't want to be seen in public in my costume etc!

Well long story short, I bought a new costume... one that fitted me... and after some lovely people on here encouraged and cheered me on, I've done it.

I have had a really stressful couple of weeks and I needed to do 'something' to get my mind off the stress... I have to say that swimming did the trick!

It wasn't easy to get there... I was a little anxious at first, but when I got to the pool it was all 'ok'. I did a few lengths and just thought 'oh balls, go for it Coops!' I ended up doing 32 lengths - half a mile - in 31 and a little minutes! Not too bad for someone who hasn't swam in over 2 years!

I will definately be doing this more often and I feel a lot more confident now! Oh and I don't feel 'fat' now! Double YEY!!

Good for you! I wish I could swim more often, but in between a bum shoulder (swimming is the single most aggravating movement for me) and boredom, I just can't bring myself to do so. :unsure: But last summer I went for a nice swim in this massive lake because I really wanted to get to the little island in the middle, and it was so nice - especially when I finally made it back without drowning, haha.

Yay Congrats!! Swimming is my absolutely favorite thing to do. I am very self conscious about how I look in a bathing suit too, so I hadn't been in yrs and yrs. But thankfully it worked out, I live in a small town and as of right now, at the time of night I usually go swimming, there is no one else in the pool! I really enjoy the privacy, but the few times a few ladies have been leaving when i get there, I am not really ashamed of being in the suit either. I imagine more people will start using the pool now that we are having some warmer days though.

:)

Heheheee.. that last bit made me giggle, but what a motivator to get swimming... shame about the shoulder, as I really did find it relaxing and a great way to get rid of a shed load of stress... I wanted/needed to change my exercise routine up and what I am doing now doesn't seem to be helping with losing the last of the fat. My next 'big thing' is running outside instead on the treadmill... again it is all in my head but I am working on this. The best thing about the swimming tonight is after I had finished the laps I wasn't out of breath. My heart rate was up, but no huffing and puffing... which has got me thinking that I must be getting fitter as the last time I went I managed 24-26 lengths and was out of breath!

Got any good suggestions BlackberryJuice for good fat burning exercises... I really wanna shift the last 14lbs or so! And you are in great shape!! =]

Kelly... ain't it a great feeling... I am hoping that this will continue for me! It is a great exercise too... =]

Got any good suggestions BlackberryJuice for good fat burning exercises... I really wanna shift the last 14lbs or so! And you are in great shape!! =]

Thanks! I think I'll take some new pix soon to see if there's any difference in the last 6 months. I've been doing Crossfit since August, it's a pretty challenging workout all-around. Check it out online, these days there's a Crossfit gym in every town.

hi fellow sleevers,

i know how to "technically" swim. I won't drown or any of that good stuff. but...i don't feel capable doing laps or just doing different strokes. I know how to do the back stroke and the side stroke, but i don't do them properly for any length or time..this a fact, i feel self-conscious.

i'm going to try and get the nerve to go to Water aerobics this monday morning. wish me luck - i know doing Water aerobics is good for weight. I really don't excercise much, so this would be great, if i get the nerve.

thanx for listening

kathy

I swam competively when I was in my teens and it's always been my favorite exercise. Several years ago I got the idea of doing a triathlon (which still hasn't happened but will on June 29th this year). I was so self conscious about going to the pool and bearing all my flab for all to see. I probably put it off for several weeks before I got up the courage to go for it. So I threw on my suit and walked out to the pool deck and dreaded removing my towel. I looked around and realized NO ONE WAS EVEN PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!!! So I got in the pool, did my thing and I've been swimming at least once week ever since that day 5 years ago!! It reminds me of a quote I heard somewhere years ago "I'm not much, but I'm all I think about"!!!!

YOU GO GIRL! GOOD FOR YOU! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

hi fellow sleevers,

i know how to "technically" swim. I won't drown or any of that good stuff. but...i don't feel capable doing laps or just doing different strokes. I know how to do the back stroke and the side stroke, but i don't do them properly for any length or time..this a fact, i feel self-conscious.

i'm going to try and get the nerve to go to Water aerobics this monday morning. wish me luck - i know doing Water aerobics is good for weight. I really don't excercise much, so this would be great, if i get the nerve.

thanx for listening

kathy

You should check at your local Y, there is usually a spectrum of swim classes, including classes for those who don't swim like a rock anymore, but would like to improve their confidence with different strokes and work on their endurance (swimming is BRUTAL).

hi fellow sleevers' date='

thanx for listening

kathy[/quote']

I do the water aerobic class at my gym 3 times a week...I strongly urge you to go for it!! I love it, it clears my head, and the results are amazing. Another upside? There are so many different body types there, no one cares. I hope you go, and let us know!!