Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Gone To Mexico To Be Sleeved?

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Mexico, because it is a lot cheeper, but I am kind of nervous doubt it and would like to hear from those who have went there.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Yes , more than a few of us. I was there on Feb. 4th, It was awesome. I was sceptical like you. My husband was like absolutely not!! Well that all changed and it turned out to be the best experience..

I did not had my surgery in Mexico because I was lucky that my insurance covered my entire surgery. But all I heard about people who are going to Mexico are great things,Dr Alvarez,Almanza and Kelly seems to be the favorites ones.

I had surgery on Dec 11, 2011 with Dr F Garcia at Hospital MI in Tijuana. Was in the hospital from Monday until Wednesday afternoon and then in Hotel Pueblo Amigo until Friday morning when I flew home. I had a wonderful experience with Dr Garcia and Hospital Mi. The staff at Hotel Pueblo Amigo was also more than helpful with what I needed. I would go again in a heartbeat. My surgery here in the US would have been $40,000 but I paid around $6,000. I had a lapband to sleeve revision. Any questions just ask.

I have insurance but did not want to take the 6+ months to get approval, and I wanted a SLEEVE, the local places here are all pushing bypasses.

While it worked out wonderfully for me I no longer can endorse the place I went. There has been trouble there. But do your homework and make your own decision.

I have to agree with Rootman......do you research on the different doctors and then make a choice that you feel comfortable with. Everyone on this forum has different opinions about their personal experiences and the doctor that did their surgery. There are several good doctors doing the same surgeries and the choice will ultimately be yours. Whoever you choose I want to wish you all the best in your journey.

I am in Mexico right now, I just had surgery yesterday with dr Garcia. Everyone has treated me extremely well since I stepped out of the airport. I am feeling really good right now, I don't regret my decision at all, just wish I had done it sooner.

I went to MX as well and had a great experience, easy recovery and no complications. Feel free to read my day by day experience with my surgery with Dr Kelly in Tijuana on my profile. Good luck on your journey!

:)

Yes , more than a few of us. I was there on Feb. 4th, It was awesome. I was sceptical like you. My husband was like absolutely not!! Well that all changed and it turned out to be the best experience..

Thank you for your response, I am coming from Canada and it is about 18,000 here and I see it is about $5-6k in Mexico so even with airfare it would make sense, I just have to figure out which Dr. someone said they had a bad experience with one of the MX doctor's but they didn't say who, so that is concerning. Could you tell me which Dr. you used and trust? Thanks so much!!

I am in Mexico right now, I just had surgery yesterday with dr Garcia. Everyone has treated me extremely well since I stepped out of the airport. I am feeling really good right now, I don't regret my decision at all, just wish I had done it sooner.

Wow, I'm glad to hear you had a great experience, I will look up Dr.Garcia!!

I have insurance but did not want to take the 6+ months to get approval, and I wanted a SLEEVE, the local places here are all pushing bypasses.

While it worked out wonderfully for me I no longer can endorse the place I went. There has been trouble there. But do your homework and make your own decision.

Thanks, I will do my homework and start with asking you which clinic you no longer trust, because it is only by word of mouth that we can help each other as no one is paying you to be truthful, so if you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great, because I really want to go to MX so that I can afford it, but I am nervous.

I appreciate your help :)

Sarah

I went to MX as well and had a great experience, easy recovery and no complications. Feel free to read my day by day experience with my surgery with Dr Kelly in Tijuana on my profile. Good luck on your journey!

:)

Thanks Kelly, I will look up your blog. Did you have someone with you? I don't have anyone to go with me, so I am wondering if that matters or not.

I am so glad for you that it turned out well, that encourages me greatly... :)

I had surgery on Dec 11, 2011 with Dr F Garcia at Hospital MI in Tijuana. Was in the hospital from Monday until Wednesday afternoon and then in Hotel Pueblo Amigo until Friday morning when I flew home. I had a wonderful experience with Dr Garcia and Hospital MI. The staff at Hotel Pueblo Amigo was also more than helpful with what I needed. I would go again in a heartbeat. My surgery here in the US would have been $40,000 but I paid around $6,000. I had a lapband to sleeve revision. Any questions just ask.

Thanks Andy,

It seems like you had more time in the hospital than others I have heard of, I need to get there and back to Canada as quickly as possible. It just occured to me that it was because the had to take the lap band out first, perhaps that is why it took so long?

My sister did insist on going with me, but I was more than willing to go alone, because I've seen it happen so many time on these forums over the yrs. A lot of folks do travel alone with no issue.

Thanks Kelly, I will look up your blog. Did you have someone with you? I don't have anyone to go with me, so I am wondering if that matters or not.

I am so glad for you that it turned out well, that encourages me greatly... :)

i'm here 2 days post op and everyone is so sweet and nice, the rooms al clean and modern and the give you just abou anything you need or want.

i love my doctors Aceves and Campoes!