Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Motivation For 6 Month Sup. Diet

I was ready to commit to a life change and move forward with VSG right away, then learned that my insurance required the six month medically supervised diet. My heart sank, but i carried on.

The reality is that this six months is already moving very quickly but for some reason I just can't commit. For the last two months I have been out of control with eating!

I don't know if I'm just mourning what I think I will miss later or if I seriously just have no willpower.

I am worried that if I can't commit to a new eating plan for six months, how will I be successful with the sleeve for the rest of my life? I keep telling myself that the sleeve will force me to do the right thing but I know I can still fail.

Did anyone else lose motivation when finding out your insurance required a medically supervised diet? Did you get back on track? How? Were you successful with the sleeve in the end?

I appreciate any words of wisdom you can share :-)

I absolutely had the same problem! I didn't buckle down until about month 4. The thing that helped me the most was replacing one meal a day with a Protein Shake and trying to make the other meals as healthy as possible. I didn't lose very much, like 11 pounds but I got my approval. Do what you can and try not to have any gains. You don't have a set amount to lose, just do not gain anything. That's what my doctor's office told me. Try to get in the mindset of being healthy and looking and feeling better. You def will after your sleeve! I am less than a month out and I feel terrific! I hope everything works out for you. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. I have 10 days until my 2-month appointment and I'm pretty sure I have gained. I guess it's time to get serious. I will definitely try replacing a meal with a Protein Shake. So, did anyone post a gain at any point in their 6-month diet and then not get approved for surgery?

I guess every insurance company and doctor have different requirements because I yo-yo'd my entire 6 months and still got approved. Mr Dr didn't have me on a diet or have me doing anything special, he basically just wanted to see me once a month, record my weight, ask me what I'd been doing in the last month, and send me on my way. I think I ended my 6 months like 5-10lbs heavier than when I started.

I ate like a pig the last 2 months and actually gained 10 pounds in 6 months. But now I'm on the 2 week prep and I havent cheated at all. As a matter of fact I'm on day 6 and I already lost, 10 pounds.

So don't beat yourself up about what you're doing now as along as you are committed for the long haul.

I don't blame you, 6 months of constant hunger would make anyone snap.

I started the six month medically supervised diet and gained every month for three months. It was so stressful. Finally I gave up on insurance and took out a personal loan and had te surgery. Now I'm 9 weeks post op and down 40 pounds. My failure on preop diet didn't impact my great success with the sleeve. It's the tool you need to succeed!!! Good luck!