Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Is Too Soon To Get Pregnant?

hi I am new to the post op world only had surgery a week ago! My main objective with having the surgery was go loose weight and get healthy so I can get pregnant. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for going on 5 years now with no luck! No fertility dr would treat me until I lost weight as being 278 lbs was, to them, clearly the reson I could conceive. I never ovulated before surgery even when taking ovulating drugs. While the the doctors all say that you need to wait a year to a year and 1/2 I have been reading that many pregnancies seem to be fine sooner than that. I am anxious to start trying 6 months out if safe as I want my grandmother to be be able to meet her great grandchild before she passes from her kidney disease. I can't help but feel like it would be selfish of me to try before the dr give the green light but I don't think she will make it that long. Any advice would help.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this topic as I am already done having children but my surgeon asked me if I was planning to have any more children and once I told him that we were done he went on to say that it would be fine if I wanted to have more but he would want me to wait at least a year before getting pregnant after surgery. We didn't go into the details of the reasons not to get pregnant earlier than that so I can't help there but this is what my Dr. told me......

My instructions from the surgeon say to avoid pregnancy for 18 months. He says that during the first 12 months, it can be very dangerous for you and the baby and may result in birth defects. I know this is not good news for you, but don't risk your life or that of your unborn children. It would be far more devastating to your grandmother if something were to happen to you or your baby.

Its very important that you listen to what your surgeon says. There's a reason they give the 12-18 months timeframe. You don't want to have a baby that has been starved of nutrients. Its worth waiting for to have a HEALTHY pregnancy, a HEALTHY baby and a HEALTHY mom. Take your time.

I have a very strict 12 month wait that I will absolutely be abiding by (in fact i will be waiting 18 minths just to be extra safe) which is a huge concession for me bc I suck at following physicians directions.

I had the sleeve by Dr. Aceves on 01/13/12. I spoke with him, his internist and his OR nurse- all separately/ individual conversations about getting pregnant after VSG because the primary purpose of this surgery for me, was to reach a healthy weight, get pregnant, have a healthy pregnancy and return to a healthy weight and maintain it. All three of them gave me the same exact answer 8-12 months, if all excess weight has been lost and in maintenance. I don't know if they would give the same advise, as every situation is different. I started off with a BMI of 31 (5'4 and 190lbs). That being said, I should reach goal by 6 months, have two months of maintenance and begin working on pregnancy after 8 months from surgery. Dr. Aceves did recommend meeting with my selected OB before becoming pregnant to have blood work done, increase Vitamins (if needed), and voice any concerns, etc. I plan to do this in June 2012.

My surgeon said to wait 9 months to a year. But, I accidentally jumped the gun and he now says I'll be fine. Had VSG in July 2011 and am now 10 weeks pregnant. My OB is not concerned at all. I reached my goal weight of 141 pounds (started at 183ish) and am now considered in "maintenance." This is my 3rd pregnancy---I was a chubba chubba for the first two pregnancies. I'm was having issues with nausea and zero appetite about four weeks ago due to morning sickness but my OB prescribed Zofran (anti-nausea med) and that has helped immensely. The weird thing is that when I take the medicine and get my appetite back, I seem to have less restriction than before I was pregnant. It's strange. And kinda scary because I don't want to gain too much. I now weigh 143. FWIW, a good friend of mine had gastric bypass several years ago and got pregnant with TWINS within six months of surgery. She LOST about 30 pounds while pregnant. Yes, LOST weight. Her twins were born totally healthy, normal sizes, were not in the NICU, no problems whatsoever, and after giving birth she lost ANOTHER 40 pounds before even leaving the hospital or something crazy. Long story short----she was at her goal weight within hours of delivering her twin girls. They are now 5 years old and typical sassy fun 5 year old girls. So I'm not worried, they are monitoring my nutrient levels and they've been perfect (so far). :)

My surgeon said to wait 9 months to a year. But, I accidentally jumped the gun and he now says I'll be fine. Had VSG in July 2011 and am now 10 weeks pregnant. My OB is not concerned at all. I reached my goal weight of 141 pounds (started at 183ish) and am now considered in "maintenance." This is my 3rd pregnancy---I was a chubba chubba for the first two pregnancies. I'm was having issues with nausea and zero appetite about four weeks ago due to morning sickness but my OB prescribed Zofran (anti-nausea med) and that has helped immensely. The weird thing is that when I take the medicine and get my appetite back, I seem to have less restriction than before I was pregnant. It's strange. And kinda scary because I don't want to gain too much. I now weigh 143. FWIW, a good friend of mine had gastric bypass several years ago and got pregnant with TWINS within six months of surgery. She LOST about 30 pounds while pregnant. Yes, LOST weight. Her twins were born totally healthy, normal sizes, were not in the NICU, no problems whatsoever, and after giving birth she lost ANOTHER 40 pounds before even leaving the hospital or something crazy. Long story short----she was at her goal weight within hours of delivering her twin girls. They are now 5 years old and typical sassy fun 5 year old girls. So I'm not worried, they are monitoring my nutrient levels and they've been perfect (so far). :)

I'm guessing because you had much less to lose than others and have been maintaining for a while that there would be less concerned - anyone whose in the losing phase should NOT even think about getting pregnant. There is nothing safe about it in the losing phase.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

This is a good thread for me...I was told 2 years and I actually had to prove I was using reliable birth control prior to surgery. When i went to my 1 year post-op the doctor asked if I was going to have any more children, which surprised me. I am currently unsure whether or not I want any more kids. We have three and I have always wanted 4 but...I am VERY worried about being able to get back to my goal weight after wards. It feels a little selfish to say that but why would I have gone through surgery and all the work I did (yes, I think it has been work) to get me to this spot. Curious to hear from sleevers who have gotten prego and what happened afterwards. The only example I have to go on is a by-pass friend who got prego at 1 year out and she never made it to her goal pre pregnancy so she is still stuggling to get back to her pre pregnancy weight. Not encouraging to me.