Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Doesn't Check For Leaks Per Se.....how Will I Know If I''m Leak-Free?

So while I love my dr and team, and have been recovering quite well, (am on day 3) I keep wondering 'how will I know if I have a leak?'. A leak is my big fear. My dr says he's never once had a leak. That is great to hear, but how do I get reassured and what do I watch for in case there IS a small leak? Other than feeling a bit achy (flu-like) and a bit of low grade temp. I feel like I'm right I'm schedule. Thoughts??

So while I love my dr and team, and have been recovering quite well, (am on day 3) I keep wondering 'how will I know if I have a leak?'. A leak is my big fear. My dr says he's never once had a leak. That is great to hear, but how do I get reassured and what do I watch for in case there IS a small leak? Other than feeling a bit achy (flu-like) and a bit of low grade temp. I feel like I'm right I'm schedule. Thoughts??

There must be a misunderstanding - Your Doctor didnt check for leaks while you were on the operating table or prior to your discharge from the hospital ????? If so, you demand one ! Possibly with another Doctor. I'm sorry for being abrupt about this but it's COMPLETELY unheard of that this was not provided. Why the low grade temp ? Did they explain signs of a leak to you - So you'll know what to pay attention to ? I'm still trying to understand why you didnt get a leak test - It's similar to saying you had vertical sleeve surgery without anesthesia. Really - thats how much sense that makes.

it seems like most of the group here is pretty split, some had leak checks some don't...I personally did not, and I am thankful, cuz I couldn't even drink a cap full of Water not to mention trying to drink some contrast!!

you will also see many different "opinions" on symptoms of a leak...one that my doc said to look out for was also a fever..

I think you are in the clear if ok by day 3!!

I just had my consult with the doctor yesterday and this was a specific question I asked.

Basically, a leak from a VSG is very serious business. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you're talking about the potential of your stomach acids leaking into your abdominal cavity. This will cause severe pain, and you will likely know right away and have to call an ambulance. The doctor said a leak will require a one-month hospital stay.

My doctor said the risk for a leak is minimal (something like 0.01%) but the risk for leakage increases if you are dealing with complications... for example, maybe you've had stomach ulcers, or this is your second procedure after removal of a band, etc. He said among normal patients, the last time one of his patients experienced a leak was 2008. He had two other patients experience leaks in the past 4 years but they were complicated cases to start with, and then they both decided on their own that they were ready for solid foods when they were nowhere near ready.

My takeaway from that is to follow doctor's orders and stick with the approved foods list to a T. :-)

by "the clear" I mean from the surgery...as fibo stated...follow your docs orders as far as foods...you still very much have the ability to cause a leak if eating the wrong foods too early...

Wow...I'm not quite sure what to think! I go back next week for my 1 week checkup. Do u suppose it's too late by then to chk? As in I'd already be showing signs of problems b4 then? I really feel fine other than a bit of flu-Iike feeling. Am able to get my Water and broth in.

I was not checked for a leak. He basically told me that even if he checked for a leak while on the table or before I flew home, it wouldn't be conclusive as there is so much swelling. I was told to keep an eye on myself and go to my PCP if anything was not feeling right.

I ended up fine, but there are several posts on here from those with leaks. Search for them, but don't make yourself crazy. Just do what you are supposed to do and don't push yourself too much.

I was sleeved on 2/9 and I didn't have a leak test either. I am super worried about it even though I have had a very easy recovery, so far. I asked about the leak test while in the hospital but was told that they don't do them unless there are symptoms or unless the patient really doesn't feel right. Like you, I am very nervous and trying to be aware of any changes. Good luck with your recovery and let's hope that leaks won't be a problem for either of us.

My doc does a leak test on the table and then at the first post-op visit. The one post-op involved drinking blue contrast, waiting half an hour, then he pulled my drain because mine was clear.

Lissa

My doctor didn't do the leak test either and had some compelling reasons for it.

So, what i would like to know, is of the people who had leaks, how many were actually found during these post surgery leak tests? There is a lot of swelling and the like. - it seems like most people find out about their leaks 1-6 weeks post op. If the leak test doesn't find most leaks, and leaks are rare, it is logical to not do a test that has it's own set of issues.

Everybody quotes 1% as the leak rate, but the studies I read were higher, more like 2.8%.

My doctor checks for leaks while you are in surgery.

Ask, but I bet your surgon tested for leaks during surgery. The rate of leaks found by drinking the contrast a day or two after surgery seems small and I have never heard of anyone on the boards having a leak discoverd that way.

I think the practice originated because of Medical Tourism. You need to find the leak before you leave so the Mexican docs do the test before they discharge you.

If you are under the care of a local surgon and three days after surgery have symptoms of a leak, you can go straight back to the table, get opened up and fixed. If that leak had been found by drinking the contrast, it's the same result you would go back to the table.

Just ask your doctor, follow his diet recommendations and you will be fine. Remember, the test does not prevent the leak, it only finds the leak.

Thanks all. Just got a return call from the dr and they said he does chk for leaks b4 he ever finishes up the surgery. That along with my temp being normal (had to send someone out to grab me a thermometer!) I feel much less anxious now! Thanks for the input! I think the achiness I feel now is just normal recovery period. Resting and walking and sipping!!!!!! :-)

I had a leak test and insisted on a drain but I just wanted to be very sure I had no issues - even with that I was back in for another barium drink about 3 weeks out due to complications, and I had not transitioned off liquids yet.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

There really is no foolproof way to know for SURE that you don't have a leak....even with the leak tests. The only way to know is if you make it a few months with no problems. :D

Follow your surgeons after care program and you will be fine.