Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss On Face (Alopecia Areta)

Hey folks, 8 months out from surgery and I've lost almost 70 pounds and couldn't be happier. It's literally the best decision I've ever made.

However, starting two months ago I noticed that I'm getting a couple of bald hsukrds (circles) on my face where my beard would grow.

Has any other men experienced this type of hair loss on their facial hair?

Thank you in advance for the replies :)

Hey, :Banane57: Im not a man, but Im hoping my facial hair stops growing. :conehead: I got the hairey jewish princess thing going on.. Too Much Information. Ha Ha :Angel_anim: You could become a morman, or a Jehovahs Witness now....No facial hair Ha Ha.

Mormons don't have facial hair?

They can have mormans, they can have hairs, but they cant have mormon hairs! :conehead:

I've never experienced this problem myself, but I did a rotation in dermatology and what I learned is that basically there's no effective treatment. It's still not quite clear what triggers the autoimmune attack on hair follicles and why it stops in some people and continues for a long time in others. You can get steroid injections in the bald spots, but they have only limited effectiveness. If it's distressing to you, it'd be worthwhile to consider those; otherwise, I'd just shave if I were you (or, on the contrary, grow out a longer beard so you can cover up the bald spots).

Mormons don't have facial hair?

I grew up Mormon. Mormon men are encouraged to keep a neat appearance. Facial hair is one of the factors to looking disheveled. A beard is not a no-no, it just has to be a neat looking beard. I know many Mormon men with beards. If you attend BYU they prefer you to not have a beard.

Thanks peeps. See the thing is, I shave everyday and on occasion I'll have a 5oclock shadow. And regardless of how close I shave, theres still a couple of quarter sized bald spots on there.

I'm just hoping it doesn't spread to other parts of my face or the side of my head where i stil have hair (I'm bald on top so it doesn't really matter there)

Your so funny! Help is on the way, just listen to yourself, you have a great sence of humor, dont get lost in the hair repair, just enjoy the everyday laughter you generate, and it will take care of itself. Repair.

Gosh, just the opposite here. I started testosterone injections a few years back and started growing hair EVERYWHERE. Since losing a lot of weight I've had to cut way back on the dosage. I have a lot of irritating little hairs that grow right on the edge of my lip, right as the lip membrane starts. Other on my ears, especially the tragus (the pointy cartlidge thing in front of your earhole) that stick out like tree stumps till I yank them.

Have you had your T level checked?

@Rootman, you may have a point. I should check my testosterone levels.

Ever since last few months, I've had a really high libido and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I feel like an animal some times :)

Hello Bert,

I was wondering if you have ever got any results to your bald spots on your face. I also have had the Gastric Sleave and have recently noticed the same symptoms as yours. Is your hair growing back, have you taken any meds?

Hi Vandamryn,

I've been getting steroid shots once per month in the area where my facial hair loss is. It did grow back, but then fell out again. My physician says there's no explanation for it. Sometimes the hair follicles turn off and don't produce hair.

I have a feeling it may have something to do with my surgery (changes in hormones or nutrition) but not really sure.

A couple of years ago after my first son was born i had this happen but on my head. I freaked out went to the doctor and also had to get steroid shots in my scalp and let me tell you it's no fun! I'm praying that since I had surgery it won't happen again!

People should really check out their facts before mentioning something about someone's religion...I've lived in Slc my whole life, and been Mormon and a high number Mormon men have some form of facial hair nowdays. Missionaries don't, but general members of the church can and do wear facial hair.

Do you think mormons have horns and tails, too? Still think they have 17 wives and 100 kids?