Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Haven't Stopped Regretting My Sleeve

When I started my journey I started at 330, being 29 years old and desperate for a change because I knew that although I have the capability of eating healthy... I would still just eat too much. I thought, the Sleeve... yes. Perfect for me. This will restrict my intake and I will be able to manage my portions better. Not to mention I had high blood pressure and sleep apnea.

My surgery was on Jan 23rd and today as of Feb 2 I have lost 27 lbs. That should be something to make me feel happy about but it does not. I feel so out of sorts. I feel the physical hunger pains, but I have no desire to eat. As a matter of fact I was not released after two days because I had been in the hospital for 3 days without eating a single thing post-operatively.

I am just so depressed at this point. I am still on Stage 2, Puree diet currently and it is the worst thing ever. I never know when I'm full until my stomach feels bloated, I get horrible stomach cramps and diahrrea after having eaten anything, and especially after drinking Protein shakes. So at this point I am feel very lethargic and just horrible. I have no energy because the only time my stomach feels normal is when I don't eat.

I am trying to work the Sleeve exactly the way I have been told but it is giving me the blues. My nut suggested drinking skim milk as "snacks" to get in Protein and this gives me horrible, horrible gas. So I tried to trick myself and started putting skim milk in my hot Cereal, Protein shake, Soups, anything...and I am just feeling terrible. I don't know what to do besides go back to the all liquid diet. I feel frustrated and trapped in my body.

Everyone is complimenting me on how quickly I'm shedding weight, and how great I look but the ugly truth is I would have NEVER done this had I known my experience would be this, and I can honestly say that if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.

Any helpful advice is greatly welcomed and needed.

Let me start off by saying what you are feeling is TOTALLY normal. I don't think too many people didn't roll over at some point and say, "What the heck did I just do!!??" I know I did. I just kept my eye on the prize, as they say. I did go back to liquids and stayed there until I felt ready to progress. I was on the purees, too, for longer than my surgeon wanted me to be, but you just have to listen to your body. If something is not agreeing with you, don't eat it. Your stomach is swollen right now and it is difficult to understand when you are full, so I just drank measured amounts every few hours. Around 2oz, I believe is what I did. I even set a timer to remind me, because I wasn't really hungry and as I told my wife, if I didn't have to eat, I wouldn't.

As far as the horrible gas, you may be lactose intolerant right now. This happens to a lot of new sleevers. Also, a lot of folks have had success with Gass-X strips.

These days are the most difficult, but keep listening to your body. Don't over do it. Stay on the board reading and posting and learning.

Good luck, I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Awww! I'm so sorry you're feeling this way!

It sounds like our experiences have been pretty similar, except I can't drink any Protein shakes like at-all. Can't stomach them, never have been able to.

The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. It's possible your sleeve may still be a bit inflamed and may not be ready for purees yet. I had to go back to the basics and back to liquids for a few days before starting again. When I did that I was able to actually start eating a few things, like pureed Soups, cottage cheese, and fruits. I've started comparing it to when my son was first starting solid food - I had to be patient and try one thing at a time. Sometimes he would only eat one item for weeks at a time before I was able to get him to eat something new, and that was OK. Now he eats anything I put in front of him (except meat, but that's why he gets his pediasure "milkshakes.") We're kind of in that same place right now.

I know it may not seem like it now, but things will get better!

Your symptoms do sound like lactose intolerance. I developed it after surgery. At first, the only Protein powder I could tolerate was unjury chicken flavor. It is easier to digest if you are lactose intolerant. I also switched to Soy Milk and gave up cottage cheese. I can eat greek yogurt, but not regular yogurt. After a few weeks I also used the Gold Standard whey Protein in French vanilla, mixed with soy milk.

Hope you feel better soon.

Lynda

Man do I know how you feel...I had surgery on January 10th and I was in the hospital for the first week. I went home one night and ended up right back the next day due to dehydration.. I am just now at almost 4 weeks starting to feel normal again... I still wish I could just indulge in a big plate of food but I do feel a lot better about the surgery now that I don't feel so terrible. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel like doing ANYTHING! I was weak, and felt pretty lazy. I really think it will get better. Wishing you the best of luck...

I even asked for a 2 week extension for STD. I am not going back to work until next week.

That just stinks! I hope that you find out what is causing it! It very well could be lactose intolerance. Could you maybe try a soy or almond milk to check and see if that makes a difference? Its such a vicious cycle, feel like crap so you don't eat, which means less energy which depresses you which makes you feel like crap. I hope you find the way out of the cycle soon. Your tummy must just be super-sensitive. I hope you find a way to make your sleeve love you and you in return can love your sleeve!

I felt this way too. I was lactose intolerant for about 2 months. I am almost 6 months post op now and I can have dairy again. More of us feel the way you do now then not. I was really saying to myself "what the heck did I do!" Now my only regret is not doing it sooner. Being tired is totally normal. You had major surgery. Not wanting to eat is also normal. I felt hungry all the time, but hated to eat because it caused me pain. I can say without a single doubt that with time all of those issues I had totally resolved. I feel sooooo great and my energy level is way up compaired to pre op. I hope that you feel better soon..... try to stay possitive and keep your eye on the prize. ((hugs))

:(

Very sorry to hear you still have regrets.

I would have to say that definately it sounds like possible lactose intolerance.

It also sounds like you are possibly constantly dehydrated, which will make your tummy even more upset, and it can make you feel physically hungry, too.

I would have to encourage you to follow a general eating guideline even if you don't want to. You have certain things that if you don't do you will continue to feel bad.

You must get in your liquids. You must get in your protien. Those are the main two, Try a medicine cup and sip in intervals, even if it is just one every half hour. You must be persistent. The very last thing you would want to do is be in the middle of all this and another emergency of some sort pop up. Trust me!

Good luck!