Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The difference in where you have your surgery

I have been doing a little information gathering in the past few months. I learned that there are Doctors who charge a lot less for their surgery because they do them in a Clinic--NOT a hospital. Then I was shocked when she said they are doing it as DAY SURGERY and the doctor wants her to go stay in a hotel close to the hospital once they release her from Day Surgery—just in case something goes wrong she can return to the hospital quickly. Or they send them to a recovery house that is NOT staffed by a medical staff, and the conditions of these recovery houses are not what I would call clean. The doctors have only asked their patients to say in a hotel for a few night or the recovery house for a few nights before they go home. Many times you are not close to a hospital either. PLEASE, ask all kinds of questions..this is your body and your life, you have every right to have these answers. If you are paying less, most of the time it means you are getting less care and services. BE CAREFUL.

This just reaffirms why I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. I was cared for so differently. I spent part of one day getting all my tests done—which I am sure in the US they do the same thing. I had the opportunity to see the hospital and I also saw how often and how much they cleaned just being there for 3 hours for the tests. I was given paper work to fill out the night before surgery. I met with a doctor the night before the surgery (he comes to the Hotel you are staying in) the doctor who explained the surgery and how it is done went into great detail and asked if I had any questions and then spent more time answering my questions.

In the morning, I was assigned my very own nurse who was taking care of me—she got me ready for the surgery. That morning I saw the two surgeons, and the anesthesiologist, who again answered ALL my questions that I forgot to ask the night before. They explain exactly what they were going to do and what I would feel like when I woke up. They would have NEVER sent me to a hotel to recover. I spent 4 days and nights in the complete fully equipped hospital seeing two doctors 3 times a day. I was given a battery of test before they would consider sending me home. On the 5th day. I was tested 3 times to make sure my sleeve had NO leaks. I was driven to the San Diego Airport and I flew home.

This is the kind of care you should EXPECT AND DEMAND if you are having this kind of surgery. You need to be doing your recovery in a HOSPITAL.

So the next time someone makes the comment to me about why would I go outside of the US for this kind of surgery this is EXACTLY WHY. When you want the best you do your research and find the best. That is just what I did.

If you are having WLS PLEASE ask the doctors, the hospital and those involved what their care is like, and what they will be providing you during your WLS. YOU have the right to have the best care possible. Yes, there is good care in the US, but I have never been treated as well in any US hospital as I was treated in Mexico. Their infection rate at the hospital I was in was far less than any US hospital. Things that I pay attention to.

You NEED to be your own advocate when it comes to your Health Care. NEVER SETTLE for anything less than the best when it comes to your health. For me I know without a doubt that Dr. Aceves is the very best doctor you could have do you WLS. He and his staff care about you, have the highest standards, they have a staff of doctors and nurses who are highly rated. I speak from experience, if you have any questions please feel free to ask me anything about my WLS. I am more than happy to share my thoughts with you.

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008

Lost 105 pounds

Wow - that's horrible - I would hate to have a doctor that didn't use real medical staff! Thankfully I had a great surgeon with a staff of doctors and nurses that are fully licensed and it added up to a great experience!

Everyone does need to do their research! It means a lot! If someone doesn't feel comfortable in a surgical center, they should by all means look into a full hospital. Likewise, if a person doesn't feel the need to have a full hospital, but feels completely comfortable in a surgical center, that's something to look into.

I know that lap bands have been done outpatient here in the states for years and now there are even a couple places doing sleeve surgeries as outpatient - which I think is a bit odd. Typical stay is still overnight, like what I had in Mexico.