Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nsv - Success Habits Of Wls Surgery Patients Class

I am approaching my one year anniversary on February 12th. I have had a good first year, have lost all but 10 pounds of my excess weight, and have made many behavior changes. But I have always been worried (scared!) about being successful in maintenance, since that has been my lifelong pattern. I have lost close to 100 pounds 4 times previously, and haven’t successfully kept it of for more than a year or two after achieving goal.

I did something positive to help me get into maintenance. It is another “tool” to help me be a healthy smaller person – just like the sleeve itself is a tool. (That’s my NSV – I did something positive for my maintenance). I enrolled in a class taught by the nurse that runs the WLS support group at the Baylor Carrolton (Texas) hospital. Baylor is a big medical system in the Dallas area, with hospitals in several suburbs of Dallas and the main facility in downtown Dallas. My surgeon, Dr. Nicholson was the head of the WLS program at Baylor Plano. I chose to attend the support group through the Carrolton office, since it was closest to my office.

The class is “The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients”. The class is several sessions, with each session focusing on one of the Success Habits. The material in the class is based on material by Colleen M. Cook and developed by the Bariatric Support Centers International. The material includes a book, workbook, website membership and additional information given in the individual sessions.

The Success Habits Principles are now taught in hundreds of bariatric support groups each month and are recommended by many Bariatric Centers of Excellence (per the material – I haven’t verified this independently). It is great material for those in the losing phase and those that are going into maintenance.

The premise behind the material and the class is a survey of patients who had WLS surgery, and what behaviors are in common for those that are successful versus those that are not successful. The average time from surgery for the patients was 7 years. The average amount of weight lost was 103 pounds

The habits are follows:

• PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY: I recognize that I alone am responsible for my success and failures
  • PORTION CONTROL: I understand the importance of satiety and understanding my body’s signals
  • NUTRITION: I make good healthy food choices each day.
  • FLUID INTAKE: I drink the right amount of the right kinds of Fluid at the right times each day.
  • EXERCISE: I have adopted the habit of exercise as a regular part of my lifestyle
  • VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS: I take good quality Vitamins each day to support my good health.

Sounds simple, right? Well, I have taken classes on the first two classes and I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH – particularly about accountability.

I am not scared like I was about maintenance – these classes are really setting things out for me in a clear way that I think I can successfully do going forward. And, if I hit a bump in the road in the future – I think I will be able to recover – rather than spiraling out of control.

If there is interest, I will set up a sub-forum for the “Success Habits” and have threads for each habit, or each key learning I have from the classes. I am so pumped up about these classes; I am considering taking the classes to become a Support Coach for WLS patients.

Let me know if you are interested in hearing more about this on this sight.

Sharon

Sharon,

I am very interested. I think Kaiser Fremont has an excellent bariatric program, but that don't offer these classes and I am really ready to learn more about these success habits. I'm just a few pounds from goal and for me, maintenance is the big ticket item. This year, next year, and every year after that.

Thank you so much for offering to share the info you learn. I was getting more and more jealous of you and that class as I read through the thread :-)

Looking forward to hearing more about how to successfully maintain.

Lynda

I'd love to hear the information from/on these classes! :)

Sharon,

I think this is an amazing idea. I don't have this kind of post op support system and as soon as my two years post op are up, my surgeon will completely discharge me from his 'care' - hmmm, not sure if that is the right word!

So, I would be very interested to hear any news or information regarding the long term habits to remain successful. There is noooo way do I want to face a big gain!

Yes, I'd be interested in continuing to read what you can share with us. :bigear:

I would really love to hear more about these classes. This is very important stuff for us to learn...... Thank you for sharing. ;)

me too!!!

I created a new Sub-forum. If you search for the group "Success Habits" you will find it. I posted the first topic on the first Habit, PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY.

Hope it helps.

Thank you!