Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meat Just Ain't What It Used To Be

What is sliming? Is it like when you take one bite too many and then the food like starts coming back up your throat,sorry tmi but this happens to me after eating less than an ounce of food and it sickens me! I am 2 and a half weeks out.

My experience with "sliming" is when I eat something--even a bite--that Sleevie doesn't like. It's like a really intense, sudden nauseous feeling. But then it goes away (unless I try to eat the same thing again.) Others' experiences are probably different.

I think what you're describing is more of a "back-up" where food is "stuck" in the esophagus--there's just not room enough in your stomach for what you're trying to put in there. When I was at 2.5 weeks I could only handle a couple of tablespoons of really mushy stuff (applesauce, hummus, etc.) every 30-45 minutes. That was a frustrating stage; I felt really weak. But I started feeling a lot better at week 4 or so, once the stomach swelling went down and I could eat 1-2 ounces of food without discomfort (depending what it is).

I can't handle most meat--hamburger cooked "loose" like taco meat is okay in very small amounts (probably around a tablespoon per meal, tops)--and other meat doesn't work at all with my sleeve. Yay for shrimp!! And yeah, Lissa, Beans have been my saving grace. I loved them pre-op, and I eat them almost every day now. Post-op, most of my Protein is from dairy, nuts, and beans--there's always a way to make something work, right? So even if your sleeve doesn't particularly appreciate meat, there are other options. Oh, and let's not forget soy products--my sleeve loves tofu.

You're pretty early out still so meat may taste better later. I have to admit, now that I'm farther out, I don't chew, chew, chew like we are supposed to. I haven't noticed any negative effects. I did have to chew at first but tummy was still tender. I think it's completely healed now and I happily chew as much as I feel like and swallow without a problem.

Early on I had a problem with chicken. I think it was just too dense for me at first. I could do tuna, greek yogurt, lunch meat at first. Next I added chicken (costco chicken is very moist) and fish ,but I could only eat about an ounce so I had a Protein drink at night to get the rest of my Protein in.

At six weeks, I was allowed beef, which sat well with me. I ate ground beef always mixed with something to make it moister, such as BBQ Sauce, ketchup, or gravy.

Lynda

I am 8 1/2 weeks and still not allowed steak. I was a chicken freak before, and now it tastes bad to me. I guess it is the consistency, it tasted tough and grainy. Lissa, I will try the salad gressing thig to make it more moist.

The salad dressing really helps with eating meat! I ordered some steak yesterday for Breakfast and it was WAY under-cooked when I got it. I brought it home and cooked it for lunch today. With a little vidalia onion dressing, it went down really well. Yummy!

Had a funny with DH last evening. We had dinner together and I asked him to order a larger steak than he normally would so I could have a small piece of it. I ate my 2-3 oz of steak and the side order of broccoli that he hates and was completely full. He just sat there amazed that I could eat "so little" and be okay. :)

The salad dressing really helps with eating meat! I ordered some steak yesterday for Breakfast and it was WAY under-cooked when I got it. I brought it home and cooked it for lunch today. With a little vidalia onion dressing, it went down really well. Yummy!

Had a funny with DH last evening. We had dinner together and I asked him to order a larger steak than he normally would so I could have a small piece of it. I ate my 2-3 oz of steak and the side order of broccoli that he hates and was completely full. He just sat there amazed that I could eat "so little" and be okay. :smile1:

We've eaten out a few times in the past week, what a learning experience.

My husband ordered a medium rare filet mignon on Saturday and gave me a little. It was very easy to eat.

We were planning to go out for Valentine's day, but instead we picked up a package of filet mignon from costco. I have never spent that much on a package of meat before in my life, but we would spend more than that going out so why not? There were four filets in the package: three huge and one small. I put one of the huge ones in the fridge to share on Tuesday, froze a huge one on its own, and froze the tiny one with a larger one. Eventually, I am going to eat that little one on my own, although it might last two meals.

I bought too much costco and Sam's canned chicken and turkey in my pre-surgery frenzy, so I need to work through that so I can get on with fresh, home-cooked chicken. The canned chicken requires a sauce, and I am not enjoying my pre-surgery salad dressings. This weekend I found a pomegranate vinaigrette with all natural ingredients, so there is hope.

Lissa~ Now that's an NSV! Love it.... ;)

Yeah, Dorrie! It definitely was! That other one was that he hugged me after dinner and his arms went all the way around. I had to laugh when he said "Where'd you go!?!" ;)

Ummmm....steak...I'm getting head hunger just reading this!

Had a funny with DH last evening. We had dinner together and I asked him to order a larger steak than he normally would so I could have a small piece of it. I ate my 2-3 oz of steak and the side order of broccoli that he hates and was completely full. He just sat there amazed that I could eat "so little" and be okay. :smile1:

I am not on steak yet, although I am not having a problem with any other meats, including ground beef. Can't wait to try steak. I don't go to the doctor til the 23rd and I imagine he will put me on it then, and also bread. Do you marinate the chicken in the dressing first?

Sometimes I marinate the chicken in the dressing, if I remember to take it out before I leave in the morning. Otherwise, I usually use italian dressing to cook the chicken, or I will boil the chicken with spices. I buy the bags of frozen chicken breasts because it's easier to take out just one and cook it.

Lissa, That is awesome that he said that after he hugged you! I hope he is very proud of you and what you have done for yourself!

I've been obsessed with shrimp cocktails lately. I've been buying the flash-frozen deveined shrimp from Trader Joes and taking 4 or 5 out at a time. Boil those a few minutes and then set them outside in a snowbank to chill for 20 minutes or so. Great with TJ's seafood sauce too. Tasty and fast!

I think I burned out on chicken for awhile. That was my sole Protein source for several weeks and honestly there isn't a prep method that sounds appealling to me at the moment. Still love a good steak -- fortunately that doesn't bother me -- but maybe it's time to explore the seafood and fish arena. I've never been a big fish eater but lately salmon has been showing up more frequently.

I like to also get prime rib at a local restaurant in my area. It is very tender and flavorful and goes down easy and it's not tough at all. I also love bacon wrapped shrimp, it's so easy to do on the George Foreman Grill cuz the shrimp is already cooked, so it just takes a few mins on the grill to heat and cook the bacon, and I can cook just a few at a time. It doesn't take many to fill me up! I dip it in this creole mustard recipe I got out of a magazine. I modified it and use greek yogurt for the sour cream, and the splenda/brown sugar mix instead of just brown sugar. And onion powder for the minced onion. I cut the bacon into 3 pieces instead of just 2. This may not be the correct place to put it, because we have a recipe forum here too I think, but here is the original recipe then I made my own modifications:

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp With Creole Mustard

Prep time; 20 mins. (it's way less time if you use the already peeled deveined and cooked shrimp in the bags)

Total time; 35 mins.

Servings; 8

1/2 c. whole grain Dijon mustard

1/4 c. sour cream

1 tpsp. minced red onion

1 tpsp. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp.worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp. tabasco

24 large shrimp,peeled & deveined(about 1 lb.)

1/2 tsp. dried thyme

12 slices bacon,halved crosswise

wooden toothpicks

CREOLE SAUCE.............

In small bowl, combine mustard, sour cream,onion, sugar, worcestershire sauce and tabasco sauce; cover and refrigerate. Sprinkle shrimp with thyme. Wrap 1 half slice bacon around each shrimp with thyme; secure with toothpick.

Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook tumbling once, until shrimp are cooked through and bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove toothpicks; arrange on platter. Serve warm with sauce.

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp With Creole Mustard

OMG!! Printing this recipe now! This sounds devine! I cannot have bacon yet, but when I can, IT'S ON! I may try the mustard recipe now. I am a sauce girl.

Thanks for sharing!