Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could I Be Added On To A Relatives Insurance?

Okay, so you know Im counting down until I get to see my surgeon. I have also thought about the possibility of not being approved or a long weight time with my insurance. I have an aunt that has good insurance, and was wondering if I wanted to switch to hers (assuming they allowed the surgery of course) how long would I have to be insured with her insurance to be approved? Would it be a wait time? Would I even be able to be on hers? I do not know how insurance works. Btw shes insured via her job. Is it only a spouse thing? Thanks.

I used to work in the insurance world...most companies will only allow you to cover your spouse, children or children that they are the guardian for. Also, you would have to be under the age requirement, which for most is 24 and still enrolled in college or school of some sort.

unless she is your guardian or caretaker, being that she provides more than 50% of your well-being, its most definitely going to be a no. Insurance companies don't allow this because of situations like this where people will just add others to their insurance to cover medical costs. Being that you have your own insurance, I'm guessing that means you are on your own so trying to change to your aunts insurance could constitute insurance fraud. If yours has a wait time, then jump through the hoops. If you're denied, appeal. If you still don't get approval - look into options elsewhere for self-pay.

To mimick what the others have said, in order for your aunt to be considered your guardian, she must receive a court order designating you as her dependent. Also, if you are older than 26, it is a useless battle.

Okay, so you know Im counting down until I get to see my surgeon. I have also thought about the possibility of not being approved or a long weight time with my insurance. I have an aunt that has good insurance, and was wondering if I wanted to switch to hers (assuming they allowed the surgery of course) how long would I have to be insured with her insurance to be approved? Would it be a wait time? Would I even be able to be on hers? I do not know how insurance works. Btw shes insured via her job. Is it only a spouse thing? Thanks.

No. You cannot be added to her insurance. It would be insurance fraud if you tried.