Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not band friendly foods

I'm going to get my first fill in a couple of hours... and I'd love to learn from other's mistakes! I already know prefill I can't do Bagels or soft pretzels. I'd like everyone to list foods they know they can't tolerate (I know what the books say!)

One very important thing...it is a very individual thing. I have trouble with dry meats...sometimes. I have eaten scrambled eggs, soft pretzels, grilled pineapple, lobster, scallops, tortillas (slowly)...what I'm trying to say is be CAUTIOUS, take small bites, chew it really well, and wait. See how it goes. Your fill will act and feel different from someone else's. Heck, your fill will do different things at different times of the day! Just take it easy, test it out slowly....

For me, it's a day-to-day thing! I can eat a cracker today and not be able to eat the same type of cracker tomorrow! tuna works one day; then not the next!

BUT...a general list of no-nos for me:

dry chicken or any dry meat

squishy bread

pretty much any bread

thick crackers

under-cooked potatoes

under-cooked spinach (raw is fine, well-done is fine)

beef Jerky

watermelon (unless I take teensy bites and chew chew chew)

I agree with MouseCrazy it is definately a "very individual thing". For me, my biggest problems are chicken (dry or moist), red meat (needs to be really moist), rice, breads, lobster and shrimp.

Scrambled eggs, applesauce, and bananas. For whatever reason, of all things, they really hurt me.

I don't do red meat - don't like it that much, but post-banding when I've tried, it's just not worth the effort of chewing it so much.

This is a good reminder how individual everyone's band is and how it changes by the day. I would struggle with Protein if I didn't have beef Jerky (or turkey jerky). I chew it slowly and spit out any gristle.

The past week I have been able to eat anything but the quantity I can tolerate is low.

Two weeks ago, I ate rice every day. Now, I can't tolerate any.

The trick (in my mind) is to take a small bite of something, chew it to death, swallow, wait a few minutes and see if you can tolerate more.

Good luck.

It's not only different for each person, it's often not the same from one day to the next, either.

Try everything (in tiny bites) and if it hurts or acts like it wants to come back up, don't eat it. Then try the same thing the next day (or next week) and if it's a no-go 3 times in a row, mark it off your list of things you can eat.

I have yet to figure out what works and doesn't as every day (and meal) is different. I agree with others that the best approach is to take the tiny-est of bites (a mere nibble) chew that to death and swallow and wait. If all feels as clear as before i started, try another bite. Where i always get into trouble is by speeding up due to the happiness that it 'worked' lol. Dry Protein no matter what the size is out for me and untoasted breads are out but I've also gotten pudding stuck by eating it too fast and too much. One caution I'm learning is if anything feels remotely stuck or heavy don't even attempt another bite until you feel that has gone down completely and NO liquids as this backs things up worse.

eggs, bananas, salad, chicken, chunky Soup, mashed potatos.

if it doesn't want to go down, it will let you know quick.

it may go down today, and tomorrow it will refuse.

it's a day to day thing. and some people can eat everything.

So far there's been nothing I cant tolerate. There's been a couple of more difficult foods - steak or any other dry meat gives me the golfball feeling, but no pb. Donuts and cake enter my stomach just fine, no golfball but then a few minutes later it feels like pointy stones are passing through my stoma.

My bigggest "no-no" to date is fried rice {god how I miss it, not even so much as a small spoonful :sick . I also (which is a good thing) can't do most breads - an occasional piece now and then is ok sometimes, but it's a case-by-case basis). I'm sure I'll edit more later.

Speaking of foods, time to "strap on the feed bag" {just kidding, but I do need to go find Breakfast and then get ready to go to work.) :Banane56: