Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. "fuzz" Fernandez Wake Forest Baptist Hospital

Has anyone used him as a surgeon for the Sleeve? I had a consult with him and seemed pleased so far. His stats however concern me. He's done over 900 Bypasses, 300 Bands, but ONLY 30 sleeves.

I don't have experience with this doctor, but just wanted to say that if you are concerned now, imagine how you will feel a few days before surgery. My surgeons expertise gave me a lot of peace. I knew that even if something went wrong, he would know how to fix it. I wouldn't pick this surgeon. No where near the experience I require, but obviously that is my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. :-)

How was your surgery? I just finished with all of my nutrition and I'm waiting on final approval from the insurance company?

My surgery was great. I didn't have any complications. I received the best care in the hospital and my sleeve works great ;0) The whole team at Dr. Fernandez's office have all been amazing and I wouldn't have gotten this far without them. I go in Feb 5 to have my gallbladder removed by Dr. Fernandez and feel totally confident that I'll receive the same great care. Keep me posted on your journey; I'd love to hear all about it .

I've had issues with my nutrition appointments being rescheduled (a total of 6 times for my last 2 nutrition appointments). I have had many friends who have had RNY by Fuzz and have had amazing results. I have already lost 10 pounds and I plan on losing a lot more prior to surgery. Fuzz is a WONDERFUL guy. I chose Baptist because of HIM. I was thinking about Duke but with all of the drama I will stay with Fuzz.

Sorry to hear about your appointments. I know they've just recently moved into their own building and one of the nutritionist just recently returned from maternity leave. Those factors could very well play a part in the scheduling confusion but hang it there it'll all be worth it. I had been working with two other doctors to get the lap band and it just was never the right fit for me. Once I came across Dr. Fuzz and he offered the option of the sleeve I was sold ;0)

Has anyone used him as a surgeon for the Sleeve? I had a consult with him and seemed pleased so far. His stats however concern me. He's done over 900 Bypasses' date=' 300 Bands, but ONLY 30 sleeves.[/quote']

My doc at UNC says insurance companies have only recently starting paying for gastric sleeves in our area.

I've had issues with my nutrition appointments being rescheduled (a total of 6 times for my last 2 nutrition appointments). I have had many friends who have had RNY by Fuzz and have had amazing results. I have already lost 10 pounds and I plan on losing a lot more prior to surgery. Fuzz is a WONDERFUL guy. I chose Baptist because of HIM. I was thinking about Duke but with all of the drama I will stay with Fuzz.

When I checked on Duke they were not a bariatric center of excellence (or whatever the designation is called). Both WF/Baptist and UNC have the designation.

Are you researching surgeons to perform your surgery? I guess I'm a little confused.

I'm having surgery tomorrow at UNC. I guess you could say I have recently finished researching in the triangle area. I have dear friends in the WF/Baptist community and I would have been very satisfied to go there.

How exciting!!! I hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.