Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Being A Pig Already?

Good morning.

I am writing today to see how most of you are doing as far as consumption in the early stages of post surgery. I am only 11 days post op and still on liquids, but feel I am doing phenomenal. I have no problem getting in my required 64 oz"s of Water plus and usually get 45-55 grams of Protein per day. I can consume about 6 ounces of Soup, and did so last evening it was Tomato sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. My question is that I have read in other forums about different nut requirements, one saying she is required to get 80 grams of Protein a day. My nut said a man needs 70-80, but 40 is sufficient for a woman.

I guess at this moment because I'm reading that some only can take in 2 oz's of protein and I can drink an entire Atkins drink of 11 oz's , that I may be over doing it already. Of course I haven't started solid food so that may change drastically.

Fortunately for me, my Dr and nutritionist do not make us go to a "mushie" stage. We start right in with soft foods and I will be doing that on Wed. I do understand that I will be lucky to tolerate a couple bites with my new tummy, So I guess my concerns are that I am over doing it already. Am I just a fortunate case that didn't have a lot of swelling? I have never felt nauseous or vomited . I do eat very slow and fortunately for me, I have always been a slow eater.

I think you're doing fine. You are correct that you won't be able to eat much. You may not believe how fast your sleeve fills up once you are on solids.

Congrats and good luck!!

Lissa

When they say 2 oz Protein they mean solid protein like meats. liquids go down very easy for me also.

Happy-

I was like you and did not struggle with liquids at all. My surgeon also skipped "mushies". I went from two weeks of liquids straight to soft foods. After relatively easily meeting liquid goals, I was pleasantly surprised when I barely ate a whole egg and was uncomfortably full... I probably should have stopped a bit sooner. No worries! :)

Best of luck!

Amanda

Happy-

I was like you and did not struggle with liquids at all. My surgeon also skipped "mushies". I went from two weeks of liquids straight to soft foods. After relatively easily meeting liquid goals, I was pleasantly surprised when I barely ate a whole egg and was uncomfortably full... I probably should have stopped a bit sooner. No worries! smile.png

Best of luck!

Amanda

Ok.... so I'll expect the worst and hope for the best. I plan on my first meal to be 2oz of cottage cheese, :-)

I am like you too and I guess its ok. I move to soft foods this coming wednesday and wonder if it will be different. i've already been able to eat two poached eggs (very very softly poached and quite liquidy) I hope that its all ok. I can only imagine as soft as I poach those and then smash them up that it is not too different from liquid.

I am able to get in 60+ oz of Protein, have been able to since about 1 week out. I was told 40-60 oz for this stage, so in vain interest of my hair, I tried to do so as soon as possible.

Early on after surgery, (although I am still less than 3 months out) I ate a fat free light yogurt. The whole thing! It FREAKED ME OUT! But then later I read about slider foods. They do go down easy for me. So I am careful with those. My NUT was surprised that I had no problem drinking my Protein drink in one setting. It's not like I guzzle it! But it seems to go down just as easy as Water. However it is different with meats.

For me, it is important to weigh my foods and count calories and keep a log of what I eat. I started it before I had surgery and I will always do it now. It's habit. So I am on MyFitnessPal.com every day. Keeps me on track.

And everyone and every surgeon/NUT is different. I was told to get in between 70-80 grams of Protein a day. So that is what I do.

I think you're doing fine. However, for me, it seems your protein level is to low. BUT, you gotta do what your NUT says and what is comfortable for you.

hi all

my dr. also spared me the mushie stage. I don't have a problem getting my Protein in cuz i'm still doing my 64 oz. Protein shakes. I am one of the few that actually likes the shake.

My question is what is the difference between getting my Protein in via the shake, or meats? I just think it would be hard getting the 64 oz. in food. Maybe if i at least drank one shake a day with my skim milk, would that be allowed. I am 16 days post op. I do see my NUT in a couple of weeks, but i'm sure you could help me.

I have only eaten one soft food so far - a scrambled egg. It was so delicious. i'm afraid to test myself seeing if i am genuinely full with just the egg. This is all i would eat, and i do feel full, is this my sleeve "working" telling me i'm full. There is no way i would push it trying to eat more. Maybe cuz i haven't eaten more foods that i can't tell the difference between feeling full on liquids, or feeling full on food? did i say that right?

also a big question, my NUT said broth is just like H20, i can have as much as i want. i love broth, and i've had a whole lot at a sitting. BUT its a prepared box with a lot of sodium. my NUT said at this point not to worry about the sodium intake, but doesn't that make you retain Water, and wouldn't that possibly not lose as much.

thanx for your words of wisdom

kathy

don't worry about retaining some h20 at this point, it's more important not to get dehydrated. You are doing great with Protein shakes! I actually skipped the mushie stage because I can't handle the texture. I am 3 months out and am doing fine. My NUT told me that I'm not getting enought protein in or calories last friday. I tried and my stomach felt so uncomfortable that I decided to just get more protein in by drinking shakes. I will be very diligent about taking all my Vitamin supplements also. We are on our way! Take care. ;)

I'm the same. Liquids go down really easy. That includes pureed/liquified foods. I can eat 4oz probably 6oz if I tried of yogurt. I'm almost 3 weeks out. I really trying not to push myself though. Even though I know I can eat more of these mushee foods I try to limit myself at one sitting. Something I noticed I can't eat really is mushy potatoes. One or two bites and it makes me full. So I think once I go to dense Proteins, I will feel restriction. As it is now, I usually feel very little restriction.

hi all

my dr. also spared me the mushie stage. I don't have a problem getting my Protein in cuz i'm still doing my 64 oz. Protein shakes. I am one of the few that actually likes the shake.

My question is what is the difference between getting my Protein in via the shake, or meats? I just think it would be hard getting the 64 oz. in food. Maybe if i at least drank one shake a day with my skim milk, would that be allowed. I am 16 days post op. I do see my NUT in a couple of weeks, but i'm sure you could help me.

I have only eaten one soft food so far - a scrambled egg. It was so delicious. i'm afraid to test myself seeing if i am genuinely full with just the egg. This is all i would eat, and i do feel full, is this my sleeve "working" telling me i'm full. There is no way i would push it trying to eat more. Maybe cuz i haven't eaten more foods that i can't tell the difference between feeling full on liquids, or feeling full on food? did i say that right?

also a big question, my NUT said broth is just like H20, i can have as much as i want. i love broth, and i've had a whole lot at a sitting. BUT its a prepared box with a lot of sodium. my NUT said at this point not to worry about the sodium intake, but doesn't that make you retain Water, and wouldn't that possibly not lose as much.

thanx for your words of wisdom

kathy

Perhaps the red text above is a typo?

Per my surgeon you need 64 oz of fluids a day, not 64 oz of protein. And 70-80 grams of protein. The Protein drinks also count as fluids, just like Water and broth. Also they do have reduced sodium broth. Although I have no idea how they taste.

I have been wondering this same thing. While I am grateful that I have not had any problems taking in fluids or shakes, I also don't really feel a full feeling even after drinking an 8 ounce Protein shake. I don't feel hungry either, but I guess I am confused as to what full feels like on liquids?

Definitely hope this changes on solid food. Not really feeling restriction unless I take too big a gulp of Water.

Perhaps the red text above is a typo?

Per my surgeon you need 64 oz of fluids a day, not 64 oz of Protein. And 70-80 grams of Protein. The protein drinks also count as fluids, just like Water and broth. Also they do have reduced sodium broth. Although I have no idea how they taste.

Every nutritionist/surgeon has different requirements. Mine recommended 84 oz of fluids daily (including the liquids in my shakes, etc.) and 75-90 grams of protein.