Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

soon, veges - umm umm - haven't talked to NUT yet for info

how do veges work - how many or how much do you get?

ex. in Soups, is it the 4 oz per meal only? in a stew?

or anything? thanx kathy

I had surgery on Dec 11 so you are just a little ahead of me. Tonight I went to the store and bought some Beans and sliced ham. I also bought a bag of frozen peas anddorn. I am going to make some ham and bean Soup and then add the peas and carrots. I think that I can make a better soup than what I get from a can and have more Protein. Both the beans and ham are high in protein and the vegs have none but they are good for you. The most important thing is to get all of your protein every day and then if you can have your veggies and finally some fruit. I am just finishing up with the babyfood this week and looking forward to something a little more tasty.

Be careful with veggies this early out - I wasn't allowed most raw veggies (with the exception of peeled cucumbers) until my third month. They can be hard on your new sleeve. Early out I ate cooked carrots smushed up, peeled raw cucumber slices and cooked mushrooms. I don't like most cooked veggies though so I was tortured until I could have raw veggies!! I did occasionally have vegetable Soup that had cooked green Beans, peas, etc. in it and that was pretty good - I just avoided the corn because that can also be hard to digest early out.

My NUT gave me the following list:

Soft-cooked carrots, squash, green Beans, broccoli, cauliflower. All other vegetables should be pureed.

I found that some things, like baby food peas, have 4g Protein and are better-tasting and a much smoother puree than anything I could make. It's relatively expensive, but there's no clean-up and comes in a container that's the right size for exactly two portions, so it makes a great side for my "real" Protein.< /p>

isn't is "funny" that all through our weight loss history we've always been told how good veges are for us. Some are free etc. , now it turns out they don't have any Protein, and we have to count them within the weight of food, like 1 oz etc of green Beans.

did i say that correctly?

kathy

I eat my Protein first, but try to get as many veggeis in as I can. I make veggie Soup, which goes down very easily, and I can eat quite a bit. I also eat raw, but that came later, after about 4 months. Some raw I still can't eat... peels and such.

Be careful with Soup. Not a good idea to eat liquid and solids at the same time.

I figure it this way, my Doc does not forbid drinking your Protein (shakes,bean Soups and such), and I managed to lose a bunch of weight when all I could have was mushy Protein, soups and over cooked veggies... So having a bowl of soup chock full of mushy veggies sometimes with a few chunks of TVP or Gluten or a poached egg in it is not a diet breaker for me. I don't eat dense solid food at the same time as soup, and generally don't drink anything with solid meals. I do however want to eat more veggies then I can manage in the room I have in my tummy after eating protein first. I eat 4-5 meals a day, and during these cold months, soup has been one of them.... sometimes without any protein in it at all... just veggies for veggies sake. YUM!

I was cleared for anything at 5 weeks. Not everything set well the first time I tried it and my doctor said if that happend to try again later. So far the only thing I really don't eat well is oranges. My doctor says the no drinking is to not take up space you need for solid food so I would think that the Soup broth is as nutritious as the solids so I do eat Soups. I have had no problem losing the weight either. Only 19 lbs to goal! yay

hummm. i haven't had any trouble with any food so far. I know that I perfer soft foods rather than hard food. I know that when I have El Pollo Loco's chicken tortilla Soup, I love the veggies in it. I usually had veggies to a passion. This is a great change for me. I am 3 months out an am really enjoying it. I still have moments when I order a meal and I look at it and wish I could eat more. Thank God for this sleeve. Happy as can be. ;)

Ham & Bean Soup is so good...I add carrots & celery too for extra flavor ( I LOVE carrots & celery)!

With my leak I was in the hospital at a higher stage of the bariatric diet than normal and they allowed 2 tbsp of veggies with 2oz of Protein, if that helps.