Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dog-how long alone during day?

I posted earlier in the summer about how my husband left me, deciding that after 20 years he no longer wishes to be married....well, I'm trying to move forward, and would love to have a dog! Problem: I'm a teacher, leaving around 7:30 each morning, returning around 3:45ish. Is that too long to leave a dog? I would LOVE to get a golden retriever puppy, but am thinking that wouldn't work. I am looking at rescue shelters, but not sure of a breed - mutts work too. I'm looking for people's suggestions! I am more than willing to do a big walk each day and each afternoon when I get home........I have no children, so this would be a "doted" on dog, lol...what do you think? Can I try a puppy? I have read about crating, and training and all that - what do you think? I have a large yard, but it is not fenced - dog would be an inside dog most of the time, unless on a leash.

Go for it! I think it's a great idea and many dogs are left alone for 8-10 hours a day. As long as you walk it before you go to work and make sure it has a sheltered area outside and Water, etc., it will be fine.

Here is what I suggest. Get a full grown og from a shelter. Look for one that exhibits housebroken tendancies. the volunteers can help you find this. Also look for a dog that is maybe not a hyper type of dog. When you find the perfect dog, buy a crate. Make sure you get this before, or on your way home with the new dog. Introduce him to it, and make sure that you have treats for rewarding him. You want the dog to be crate trained for the time that you are gone. Are you close enough to school to come home for lunch once a day to let him out? If not, its ok. Alot of dogs go 8-9 hours during the day in their crate, but just make sure you get home and let him out. Another idea is setting up a kennel in your backyard, with a bucket of Water, a dog house, and an area for him to go potty. These are your two choices.

A puppy will NOT be able to handle you being gone all day for quite some time. I suggest you steer away from getting a puppy. If you do decide to get a puppy, you will nee to put him in day care till he is about 1 yr old so that he gets the exercise and time outsie that he needs in that first year.

If it's not housebroken and you leave it that long, you'll have a much harder time housebreaking it but can get there if you progress from crate training (that's what we did with our current dog). That's not too long once the dog is ready. We leave around 7 and get home around 4ish.

I love dogs, They are all great!! I have three myself and we can leave for that amount of time no problem. If you get a puppy is there a way you can home durring lunch and take him/her out? The experts say puppies should be left 1 hour for every month of there age. but you can stretch that a bit if they are crated.. When you leave make sure you feed and Water him several hours before you leave, let him go potty and put him in the crate with no food or water. And let him out as soon as you get home.. they catch on quick... you would probl. have time to get him used to you leaving before school starts... And may I make a suggestion. Boxers! I have two, one I addopted from a kill shelter and she is the best dog I have ever own. She was potty trained and never needed a crate. Well best of luck to you and good luck on your new addition to your family.....

We have 2 dogs (and 4 cats - I'm mostly a dog person, don't tell my wife but the cat's are starting to grow on me). My wife leaves at 5am and gets home at 3:30pm. I am mostly 9am to around 6pm.

This leaves the animals (cat's are self sufficient, dogs aren't) 'alone' from 9 am til 3:30 pm. As long as we get them out before we leave and as soon as we get home, it no trouble.

Both our current dogs came from the pound. I recommend "pound pups" mostly cause the good part of them are good pups that just need a good home, some love, and attention. The reason they are there are they didn't get it at thier last home. Better to take in a good dog, then to have it put down. Besides they'll already be house broken (most times), you can still get a 'young pup' (most times) if you wanted to, or you can make an old dogs "last home" his most memorable, and provide yourself with wonderful memories down the road.

Just my $0.02, you can always tose it in the wishing well (he he :)

I think you should get two dogs so they won't be lonely.

I'm an indoor-pet kind of person but I really think you need to have a fence. If you can't fence your entire yard you can probably fence an area. I don't leave my dogs outside for long, but they like to cut loose and RUN when they do go outside. Walking is great for you and for your future dog, but they need a place to really run - which not many people can do at their speed.

Have you thought about a cat? They're less needy than dogs, are born litter-trained and can be just as affectionate as dogs. My cat's even play "fetch" with me! lol They do.

My $.02.

If you go to the shelter, think about getting a grown dog. Others have said it before, but I will say it again. Not only are they more laid back (normally) and IMHO easier to train, but...welll......if you are a serious dog/cat lover stop reading now.

I used to work for animal control, and on my first day I went to drop off a dead possum at the local shelter. There were giant rubbermaid containers full of dead adult animals. I asked why so many, they couldn't all be sick right?? (my first day) The response was "we get so many animals, that there are no room for more, we have to put some down". So I said "i don't see any puppies or kittens". Anyway, they don't put down puppies and kittens because they are so "cute" that everyone wants them. But the adult dogs and cats are not as interesting to people. That was one of the most eyeopening days of my life.

So please, go to a shelter and get an older animal. Even a year old is "too old" for a lot of people.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

I got my baby from petfinders.com. She was 6mths old any already potty trained. I did not even need to use a crate! The feeling that you get from saving a dogs life is like no other........

Just a thought

I agree. An older dog. And if I may suggest... greyhounds adopted after they have raced are AWESOME laid back pets!!

Have to agree - all the 'post racing' greyhounds I have had the pleasure of being introduced to are very loving friends.

Hi. I've had dogs all my life, but they've ALL been inside animals. My suggestion would be to do some research on the net and see what breeds exhibit what tendancies. I DO agree that mutts are better. The couple I've had were the smarter, heathier ones. Please DO NOT get one from a pet store! I worked for the federal agency that oversees the breeders, and it was horrible! Rescue groups are great, I did Carin Terrier (Toto dog) rescue in DC and most rescue folks do a thorough check on the applicants. My final tidbit would be to get a dog crate. The crate is their "den" and it is great for housebreaking and when you leave you KNOW there will be NO damage when you come home. When my first husband and I split (his doing, not mine), my dog was all I had for a very long while. She was about the best thing (besides the birth of my son) to ever happen to me. Good Luck, I'm sure you will enjoy having a dog!

:clap2:

I think it sounds like a dog would be great for you. My sister and her husband got a pug puppy, and they crate her during the day. She didn't particularly like to be crated, but they would say "April, we're leaving, come on" and the puppy would slowly move toward the crate and go in.

You would less hours during the day than alot of people I know who have dogs.

Being the owner of 11 rescue cats and four dogs I can say they are a great joy.

There are many products out there to help with training.

Petco carries fencing http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_548_PC_productlist_Nav_180_N_22%2097_sku_22985_familyID_5874.aspx

that you can set up in your home for a puppy. Put paper under the fenced area and change it everyday when you get home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housebroken has some really good tips.

Puppies general can hold their bodily fluids for 60 minutes for every month of age.

So the puppy would be nine months before she/he could reliably go all day without using the bathroom in the house.

I have adopted older and younger animals. Right now we have a 16 y/o dachshund that was the victim of divorce and we just adore her. We adopted her when she was 11 and her time is limited but we still love her dearly.

If you like cats but hate litterbox duties look at http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1 These are a little pricey but worth the money. I have three for eleven cats and would not give them up for the world.

I agree that you should consider two pets. You will be surprised how much entertainment they will be for each other and you.

I also tend to lean toward older dogs also. My most favorite baby was a three y/o pomeranian that was a puppy mill rescue. She had heartworms that we had to treat. As did 37 of the other dogs in that rescue group. She also had sustained an eye injury at the puppy mill that made it necessary to remove one of her eyes. But she is my special baby.

Look on www.petfinder.com for dogs. Rescue groups post on there and I am sure you can find a group close to where you live.

I know being a teacher you have a golden heart and will give a fur baby special love.

Good luck.

Myra

I have a bulldog that snoozes on the couch all day long..he actually looks irratated to be woken up sometimes. Totally choose a chilled out breed if he/she will be home alone all day..otherwise they will find something to do on thier own!!