Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Migraine or headache, how do you you tell the difference?

Don't worry, I'm not asking for a diagnosis -- just your thoughts.

I had a few really bad multi-day headaches in the past month. I totally am not a 'headache person'. Stress gets me in the stomach typically. These headaches don't seem to respond to advil/tylenol. For example, today I've taken 6 tylenol, 2 of which had a decongestant for any possible sinus issues. Nothing, no relief. The pain is mostly on one side but can shift the front or back - still favoring one side. It starts behind one eye socket and goes to the top of my head, with a spiltting feeling. (wow, a splitting headache, I get it.) Then it moves around to the back of my head. Sound and moving around seems to make it worse. I'm not sick to my stomch or anything. Just in pain.

Migraine or no?

I am being treated for Migraines. Yours certainly sound like migraines...perhaps clusters. Try googling the topic and read someof the medical websites about the symptoms of each. Then, see your doctor. If you are having migraines, OTC meds will typically not help you at all. My doctor is trying Topamax as a preventative and we are working on adjusting the dosage to get the right effect.

There are other treatments possible also...you will have to work with your doctor on them, and it may take some time to get it right.

I am sorry about your headaches; I know how miserably painful they are. I get sick to my stomach also, but that's kinda of a new thing for me. I wish you luck in dealing with this problem, I really do.

Cindy

Sounds like a Migraine to me.

Try Excedrin Migraine for the pain, I hear good things about it.

If that doesnt help, go see a doctor and get Imitrex. It's pricey but it works.

Also, might look into the cause for the Migraines, sometimes they can be prevented with a beta blocker.

Good Luck

In a word, yes.

They have to start sometime, right?

I was in my 30s when I had my first migraine...I had them for a while, then they went away for a while. Then, they came back. I guess they can come in spurts.

Everyone is different...is there any history of Migraines or cluster headaches in your family? Your mother or father?

I started having Migraines in the 4th grade. For several years (through high school) I had them and then one day they just quit. I now only get them 4 - 6 times a year, which compared to when I was younger I can handle! I start seeing white spots when a Migraine first starts, so I typically take imitrex ASAP and get to a quite, dark room. If I do this right away, I can usually ward off the migraine quickly......otherwise I get sick at my stomach and then it takes much longer to get rid of. Good luck on getting rid of them, they can be really nasty!

OK, here's the RN in me coming out. If you're having "different" headaches than those you've experienced, it's time to see an MD, have a CT scan or MRI and rule out any pathology.

Different people have different experiences with Migraines. For me, I am sensitive to light and sound, feel sick to my stomach, and need to lie perfectly still in bed.

Don't worry, I'm not asking for a diagnosis -- just your thoughts.

I had a few really bad multi-day headaches in the past month. I totally am not a 'headache person'. Stress gets me in the stomach typically. These headaches don't seem to respond to advil/tylenol. For example, today I've taken 6 tylenol, 2 of which had a decongestant for any possible sinus issues. Nothing, no relief. The pain is mostly on one side but can shift the front or back - still favoring one side. It starts behind one eye socket and goes to the top of my head, with a spiltting feeling. (wow, a splitting headache, I get it.) Then it moves around to the back of my head. Sound and moving around seems to make it worse. I'm not sick to my stomch or anything. Just in pain.

Migraine or no?

Sounds like mine. I don't get sick to my stomach very often with them either, including the sound and moveing around. I also get sensative to light.

One thing my Dr said is that a headache that doesn't respond at all to things like Tylenol or Advil is very likely a migraine.

I'm 30. Can I just start getting them, just like that?

Yep. I got my first one about a year ago at 42.

My cousin got them in her 20's, hasn't had one for over 10 years now.

I've took imitrex and a couple of others for mine but the one that works the best is the Relpax. It's very pricy but insurance does cover it (imagine that, BCBS actually covering something, LOL). I usually have about 1 a month, severe pain, sensitivity to light, sound, upset stomach and it usually lasts for 12-24 hours. I have had them to last longer before the Relpax. Since I've been banded thankfully no migranes.

I have had Migraines for 30 years or more now. I have found the best thing over the counter for the Migraine is BC powders. It comes in like a gum wrapper and you pour it on you tongue and wash it down with a drink. If it is migraines you need to be off of caffeine. If you are not using caffeine then drinking some tea or coffee will help relieve the migraine a little. Since my hysterectomy the migraines are not near as severe. Good Luck :)

Yep, I agree with everyone else - sounds like Migraine to me too.

The best OTC med I've used for them is Exedrin Migraine - here's the problem, Exedrin is part of the ANCID group of medications which lap bandsters are supposed to avoid. They're hard on the stomach and so are hard on your esophagus and the band. My doctor said taking these meds OCCASIONALLY is OK, you just have to watch how frequently they're used.

When I feel a migraine coming on, if I take the Exedrin Migraine quickly enough I can avoid the headache or (more often) extremely suppress it so it isn't as painful or doesn't last as long. With a bad headache, I too have to retreat to a darkened room and lie PERFECTLY still, sometimes for as much as 12 - 24 hours. And then, as if it wasn't bad enough to lose one day to a migraine, I get what I call a 'phantom or shadow headache' the next day. It's not really a headache, but my head doesn't feel quite right, almost like a hangover, but not. I know - how vague and unhelpful can I be here? Sorry.

I'm not sure of the chemical make-up of BC powder so I'm not sure if it's an ANCID or not, but you should find out before you start using it. I HAVE heard from several people that BC powder works well for Migraines, but they also say you have to be careful when you take it or you can inhale a bit of the powder as you pour it on your tongue. It makes you cough like crazy and gives you a scratchy throat when it happens. Just a heads-up on taking BCP.

Sorry you're having headaches - migraine or not. You really should see a doctor just to be sure there isn't something else going on there.

What Donna calls a "shadow headache" we call in my family "migraine aura". It does sound to me like you have a Migraine. I don't get them often, but my first one I was 9 or 10. My mom didn't believe I had a headache as bad as I said until I threw up, lol. Then she apologized profusely, because she gets Migraines.

If I take excedrine migraine early out, it can get rid of it. Other than that, darkness, quiet, and being still is also what works for me. I try and sleep them off. I have never had one last for days and days, but my mom sure does. She had an ongoing perscription for the imitrex injections for a number of years.

I do think you should see your doctor though. Even if it's "only" a migraine, it's a good practice to go check out anything that 'isn't normal'.

Feel better!

PS: Maybe you should quit staring at the computer screen. :)

i've had Migraines for years, although they have lessened in frequency since i was in my 20's. one thing that works for me is taking a bath with a few drops of marjoram oil in it. it gets my headache to a dull roar that can be managed with exedrin Migraine. this stuff smells like crap, especially if you DON"T have a headache so be prepared. it desnt bother me so much it i have a headache. hope this helps! Good Luck!