Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wish they would have had gastric bypass?

I gotta say I am so impressed with the open-mindedness of this thread. I remember a time not so long ago when noone with a band would have admitted even considering a different surgery. It is awesome to see. I also see this happening on another board I go to (NOT OH!) where a few of us have already had revisions, one is awaiting DS, one RNY and one VGB. It's all about getting healthy, not whose surgery is better than whose. I'm really impressed.

Do people who have RNY have PB's?

Yes, but the lingo for GB is "dumping"....which, I always thought came from the other end...lol (i laugh because my sis had RNY and i used to tease her about "dumping")

Bettina,

Thanks. Dumping does come from the other end. I think pb's only happen to lapbander's.

Bettina,

Thanks. Dumping does come from the other end. I think pb's only happen to lapbander's.

No, according to GB'ers....they call productive burps ..."dumping"...your question was do GB'ers do productive burping...the answer was yes --they just call it something different.

Sorry about my wording, i think you misunderstood what i was saying.

Thanks for the clarification, Bettina. I am new.

Oh no, you are okay....I think it was my wording...silly me. I need coffee...lol

I just read an article from a medical journal about gastric banding versus gastric bypass. For people who need to lose beyond a certain amount, ie: those who are Super morbidly Obese (where DO they get this terminology?), Gastric banding is not as effective for people in this category, as is gastric bypass. But, they still say that gastric banding is the safest surgical method avaialable. Something like 14% of gastric bypass patients suffered complications within the first week after surgery. Within the first year, that rose to 81%. I think it is an option for a reason...because some people feel that is the route for them. And, I applaud them for taking their health into their own hands. But, the risk of complications, coupled with the possiblity of malabsorption of nutrients, which can lead to other health issues, was enough to scare me. I am banding!! Now, if I weighed more, I can't say I would feel the same way.......

AMEN to all of you who have had the guts to band.....or have a bypass!!!!!

I'm happy with my band. Yes, I've been working HARD to lose, but hard work doesn't bother me. I wasn't really looking for an easy way out of obesity because I don't think that there is one.

Some of you have complained about needing fills, worrying about pbing, possible slips and erosions, needing follow-up surgery for port problems, etc...as in, the band is too much work or worry. I don't mean for this to be harsh, but it's probably going to sound that way. I think that these are excuses. Hell, being obese is HARD. Trying to find clothes that fit, fitting in airplanes, dealing with medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, dealing with CPAP machines for sleep apnea, joint issues, etc.

Anyone looking for an easy, or even easiER, road to better health isn't going to find one because there isn't one. There are *different* roads, but not necessarily easier. If you don't like the work of being banded, then sure, switch to RNY. Then you can worry about dying on the operating table, developing strictures, needing regular blood work, taking B12 shots and Vitamins, losing bone density, dumping, stretching your pouch, and possibly regaining weight in 1-2 years.

Either way, you WILL have worries and issues to deal with. Even if you choose another type of WLS, those come with their own issues and worries, too. Things usually look greener on the other side of the fence, remember?

You can spend your energy worrying about stuff that hasn't happened yet (what if my band slips? what if it erodes?), or you can spend your energy "wishing" (to lose faster, that it was easier, that you could still eat chocolate cake and lose weight), but that's just a waste of energy. Instead, put that energy into making positive changes in your life.

Cindy

I gotta say I am so impressed with the open-mindedness of this thread. I remember a time not so long ago when noone with a band would have admitted even considering a different surgery. It is awesome to see. I also see this happening on another board I go to (NOT OH!) where a few of us have already had revisions, one is awaiting DS, one RNY and one VGB. It's all about getting healthy, not whose surgery is better than whose. I'm really impressed.

I think so too! It's okay to wonder what if, and not to defend your decision to the death. If you're happy with your decision, GREAT! More power to you. But it sure is nice to be able to discuss alternative feelings with people who understand. Even if it is only about the grass being greener on the other side. :eek:

you know i have thought about that so many times. but i realized that the band was much better for me, 1)because i dont need to take pills every day, 2) i can get the band taken out if i wanted to. 3) because it dose work and i am losong wieght

your right now u r around my pre op wieght. I know once i hit 240 it was very hard for me to do things. but once i hit 225 i start feeling alot better. maybe it will be the same for you. idk,

that is werd that it took you that long to lose that much wieght. me and my uncle (both banded 2 weeks apart- i went 1st) are down 20 pounds and only been 4 months. so here is my question- do you have good restriction? are you moving around working out?

i feel real bad that you are unhappy with you desion. i hope one day that you do feel happier with your decision. just rember that you have use here for support and help.

:flypig:

You can spend your energy worrying about stuff that hasn't happened yet (what if my band slips? what if it erodes?), or you can spend your energy "wishing" (to lose faster, that it was easier, that you could still eat chocolate cake and lose weight), but that's just a waste of energy. Instead, put that energy into making positive changes in your life.

Cindy

Cindy:

THat is the attitude that will get you where you want to go in life! You haven't just gotten baded, you have changed your way of thinking. Congratulations on your positive spirit AND your weight loss.