Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Stomach Solids---anyone Else...ideas?

I have just come off of restricted foods, and tryin to figure out portion size is really hard. I can't eat more than two, maybe three bites of anything without getting that gross foamy spit up. Every time this happens. There is no way I can get my Protein in. I keep going back to cream of wheat and smoothies-which I can get some of my protein. But I read about everyone eating all of this normal food but in small amounts, and that is just not happening right now. Has anyone else been slow to heal and at 6 weeks still can't stomach solids?

Not 100% sure, but that sounds like the slime people post-op talk about. As far as I have read, certain foods cause this, and its different foods for everyone.

Are you on an antacid? I had the same issues for the first 2 months post-surgery, and it was because I had excess acid. If you're on Prilosec or some other antacid, then I would suggest just slowing down and trying many different types of food until you find something that a couple of bites will stay down. If you're not on Prilosec or something like that, start it! After I started it, it took about three days until I didn't throw up any more, and it was such a relief!!

Best wishes to you!!

I will be 4 weeks in 2 days and I weigh 1/2 ounce dense Protein (with something like mayo, ranch dressing etc so it goes down easier) and 1/2 ounce cooked veggie. I can't quite finish it yet. You might want to start with 1/4 ounce of each. Hopefully you are meeting your protein goals by still drinking your shakes.< /p>

Definitely try a PPI/acid reducer if you're not already on one. You may also have adjust the dose and take more in the very beginning, if your Dr approves. But you may just be dealing with swelling still this early out and 2-3 bites is all you can handle with denser foods. Just take it slow, and I know it's important to get in our Protein, but don't feel you have to push it too fast. You may have to keep supplementing with the Protein Shakes for a while longer till you get it figured out. And keep staying hydrated with your fluids, that's the most important part.

I was in the same boat. I couldn't eat solids and had a very real fear of them, too. It only took one or two bites and I felt terrible. So, I kept with my Protein shakes and ate what I could. I'm at 5 months and I would say I am still not on full solids, yet. I can't imagine eating a hamburger patty. Oye! My main go-to meal is diced up (really diced) chicken or tuna and throw it in salads with blue cheese. I don't do low cal/carb dressings, either. I have chili with sharp cheddar cheese about every lunch. Breakfast is a Protein shake. Morning snack is a V-8. Afternoon snack is prunes. If I don't think I am getting my Protein in, I grab a shake. I pretty much eat throughout the day, but I also exercise a lot, too. I don't eat any breads. They make my stomach hurt. I have a wee bit of noodles occassionally, just to get them introduced to my tummy. Small bowl of ice cream a couple times a week.

I don't worry too much about it. My weight loss have been better than I expected. I'm doing what I can and keep pushing myself.

This has worked for me, perhaps it can work for you. Just do the best you can and it will come together.

I agree with everyone else. Try an acid reducer and tiny little bites of food. The foamy stuff means you are sliming.

My surgeon gives out a booklet and there are a couple of tips that may be helpful for you. First, always weigh your food, so you have some idea of how much you are actually eating. I started with 2 ounces and ate what I could. Second, your bites should be no bigger than a pencil eraser and you should chew until they are applesauce consistency. Third, do not drink with your meal. It fills your sleeve up way too fast. Fourth, if you have a problem with a food today, don't try it again until next week. Fifth, give yourself a minure or so between bites. It is really tough to tell when you are full at the start of each stage, so taking time between bites gives you a moment to realize that you are full and can't eat any more, which prevents the slimes. Sixth, any time you vomit or slime, you should go back a step. So, if you're on full liquids and have problems, go back to clears for a day or so. This helps your tummy heal and get ready for that next stage.

I hope that helps you somewhat. I did a lot of drinkable Soups and super soft foods when I first went to solids. I avoided stuff that I thought would be tougher to digest (salads, raw veggies, steak) until this month. I'm at 3.5 months for reference.

Oh, and lots of us have weird food issues after surgery. Beforehand, I really loved cottage cheese sprinkled with a lot of pepper. I'm lactose intolerant now and Rex, my sleeve, does NOT like the pepper. He doesn't like anything remotely spicy these days. I tried to sneak a jalapeno in with some chicken one day and had disastrous results. Thinking about that bite of jalapeno now makes me queasy. I think I'll wait awhile for that again. LOL

Good luck and just take your time. You'll be handling solids again very soon. :)

I don't think I could take more than 2 normal sized bites of anything for a couple of months. When I first started mushies, I used a baby spoon to get the very smallest bites possible and force me to slow down. You won't be eating normal food for a while. I was stuck in the quasi-mushy stage for a while.

2 oz of food is all your pouch can hold - wheter you eat it fast or clow, there will be a hard stop at that point.

As the weeks and months go by you will find that some food sits better with you than others. It is part of the process to try things and see if they are OK. If they are not, wait 2 weeks and try again. My first 3 months were all about:

- cottage cheese

- flaz oatmeal

- trader joes mini brie bites with multi grain pita crisp crackers

- 1 oz cream cheese wrapped in 1 oz slice of deli turkey

- soft rotisserie chicken thigh meat mixed with cottage cheese

- homemade mashed sweet potato woth a little salt

All of the above in strict 2 oz portions were the only things I ate (literally) for a couple of months. I ate 6 times a day (or more) to get in my Protein because I can't stomach the Protein drinks.

Some people eat eggs right away and I couldn't choke down a bite of egg for almost 6 months - just didn't work for me. Everyone is a little different.