Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bcbs Not Requiring Any Pre-op Non Surgical Weight Loss For Gastric Sleeve Surgery ?

memeMEEE.. i dont currently have insurance, which is why i am conserned about the pre existing condition thing. i plan on keeping excelent documantation from my dr nut and weight watchers. i will leave nothing to chance, but am afraid to start all that until im on the policy. looking for a provider now is a good idea though because ive often heard new patients can sometimes wait over a month for an initial visit. would be smart to schedule ahead and simply give them my insur info when i get it:) thanks for that idea!

i agree with you indi1! the wait may be a blessing in disguise.things happen for a reason, and jus because im inpatient and excited doesnt mean i have to get what i want RIGHT THIS SECOND! lol. itll come to me as its supposed to.

thanks ladies!

tricia

I was denied 3 years ago bc I didn't have documentation of supervised weight-loss attempts (Weight Watcher's, TOP'S, Jenny Craig) or even weigh-ins at a doctor's office. Our insurance changed, still bcbs, different "of" state. This time, it didn't affect the outcome. The criteria was different - and it wasn't necessary. (YAY! - because i was not able to regularly attend a wl group.) Each bcbs division has their own policy, I have been told. They don't have universal requirements for pre-approval. That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, but it is what it is. If you speak with a representative, they will gladly send you a copy of their requirements, in much greater detail, than your coverage booklet. Good luck to you!

Carefirst BCBS Maryland

anybody have any experience with them I am getting ready to begin this journey

I have BCBS of MN and just received approval for the sleeve!!! I had to complete the 6-month supervised diet with fitness and psych eval. Also had to see my pulmonologist and do a 2-week at home sleep study and of course be cleared for surgery.

Back when I started this process in the spring of 2011, BCBS of MN still considered the sleeve "investigational" and would not cover it, while other BCBS providers were approving it! My insurance coordinator through the surgeon's office said policies are changing all the time and to keep going with what the insurance companies require, because by the time you are done, it will most likely be approved!

Good luck to you purplebananna.gif