Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Tell My Doctor?

I need some advice on the correct way to break the news to my physician that I was sleeved in Mexico. I have heard that when you tell them you were sleeved in Mexico they don't want to attend you. I don't anticipate any complications but you never know. Any advice would help thanks.

Was thinking I'd just lie! If it came up of course. I mean does it matter where you were as long as you need help? I was just going to say I paid a dr. to do this in San Diego because the insurance companies don't like to pay for follow up treatement if it's done out of the country. I actually reside now overseas now so I really don't see what the difference is.

I went to my German doc the other day and told him I had surgery to reduce my stomach and he didn't ask another question about where it was done. He just treated me for my fast heartbeat and dehydration. Let us know what you decide!

I sent my general and nurse practioner a letter letting them know that an out-of-network doctor would be performing the sleeve on Dec 12th. I then inquired about any tests they would need in order to maintain a good chart on my progress. I also told them that I would have the surgery records sent to them as soon as they were available.

They wished me the best and said there was no need for additional testing. I think the major difference was that my VSG journey started with them. They already knew that I was interested in the surgery. The location or even the name of the surgeon never came up as a question so I didn't mention it.

Since you've already been sleeved, I would suggest you schedule a follow-up physical with your primary.

I told my PCP that I was having a VSG 3 days before I left for Mexico. She freaked out a bit hearing "Mexico" but was supportive about ordering labs and such post-op. If I had it to do over, I might say that I was having the VSG in Texas, or Utah, since I didn't meet the WLS criteria for my ***. It would save me all the alarmed looks I get when other providers read my record.

I would be honest and tell them who, where and when. I would get them a copy of your records and x-ray of your sleeve.This would be helpful information in case any issues would arise. If you had an emergency, they have to treat you. If your PCP has an issue with helping you matain good health just because you had surgery in another country, I would find a new PCP. You want whoever your Doctor is to have all the information they can get along with any contact numbers of your surgeon.

I moved to a new PCP after I had surgery. My old PCP had a terrible manner with patients and the office staff left a lot to be desired. A friend told me a story about his doctor. My friend is morbidly obese and his doctor gave him suggestions and asked that he lose 5 lbs before their next visit (3 months later). My friend didn't lose the 5 lbs and the doctor laughed with him and said "Man, 5 lbs is just one good s***!" If you know me and my friend, we had a great laugh over this and the next day I asked to switch to this doctor.

Fast forward to my first appointment. I am having trouble with my left knee. He does the exam and asks about prior surgeries. I told him that I had VSG. He was interested and said "With who?" I smiled and told him I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexico! He smiled and asked me why I chose Dr. A. I rattled off all my reasons and he asked how much I had lost. I told him 49 lbs in almost 4 months. The doctor gave me a big smile and said "that is fantastic! I am glad you made the decision that was right for you."

I have to see him again in 6 weeks for my knee and I will bring him my records from Dr. A just so he has a copy. I truly believe that if your current PCP isn't going to partner with you in this journey and share your enthusiasm then you have to find a doctor who will.

Good luck!

Hi,

I think being honest is the best thing to do. You have done NOTHING wrong. Why do we feel that we need to please our PCP? We are NOT little kids, we are adults who are taking charge of our own lives. We hire or PCP, they work for us. We pay for our care. We should be treated with respect and they should be pleased that we are doing something to make our selves healthy for the first time in a long time.

I was lucky, my doctor was really good. I told her before I went. She ran all my blood work any time I needed it. If your PCP treats you poorly, find someone else. For the most part, the doctors in Mexico are excellent and we get better treatment and care than most US hospitals. Bring back any e-rays and the report that your doctor in Mexico should send home with you. Take them in to your PCP and have them put in your health records.

Do NOT allow them to intimidate you or be rude to you. Sometimes our doctors just need to be educated a little on the type of surgery we are having. I know mine did and she was glad I brought the information in to her.

Suzanne

Personally...I'm not intimidated by any PCP or anyone else. You can tell the truth...that's great. It's not about feeling like a kid or being afraid to talk to someone PERIOD! It's about not being covered by your insurance and paying thousands of dollars out of you own pocket. That's why my initial response was to tell them you had the surgery...but by an American doctor.

I would feel better if I could just go to them and say ohhh yes...I had surgery in Mexico can you follow up on everything I need? They will say sure...weeks later you will probably get the bill. Why? Because they will look at it as non-necessary because you couldn't meet the criteria defined by your insurance company as "needing" this surgery. In THIS economy...I can't risk it. Even though I work over seas. I still work for the U.S. and still feel the pinch of a tight financial situation.

Ultimately the decision is up to you.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have to weigh the pro's and con's and make my decision. The good thing is i am not having any problems and don't need to see my PCP at this moment. From my understanding I should go in for a check up in four months by that time I should have made my decision.

I told my PCP before i went i asked her to do all my labs and make sure i would be ok for surgery, My dr was great she told me that she would look into the dr that was in mexico and look in to the location and if she found any thing she would let me know. I have seen her several times since for medications and what not she is so happy for me and loves seeing the scale move (down) just as much as i do.

I told my PCP about a month before going to Mexioco and she said "oh great!" . Then she proceeded to tell me how insurance companies screw everyone over lol. She offered to do all of my pre-op tests and stayed discreet about why I needed them. She is great.

My insurance does not cover weight loss surgery OR complications from weight loss surgery so either I will have to not tell my PCP or better yet, I will ask that he is discreet and not use obesity as my primary diagnosis. I would rather be honest and tell him when and where so he could order the right follow up testing.