Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Channel Ring Sizing Question...

I've lost almost 150 pounds and my ring which started as a 9 now needs to be a 6... maybe even 5.75. IT's a channel setting.

I've done tons of research online and most of it says that resizing a channel setting ring that much will cause the stones to pop out. But, I was curious if anyone actually was successful with their attempt to re size their ring?

I'm too nervous to do it for my e-ring so we plan to use the center stone to make me a pendant and the side stones to make our nieces something. But, I still have TWO wedding bands that I'd like to re use IF possible!

Go to someplace like Zales and they can tell you what can be done. Two options if you can't resize - turn it into a pendant for a necklace or have the ring remade from scratch. I have a couple of rings I can't do much with unless I want the side images destroyed.

You know the oddest thing; I wear the same size ring at 316 (335) that I wore when I weighed 160. All my rings are 7s. I wear a 6 1/5 but the in store size is always a 7, so that is what I bought because I don't like to wait. It always amazed me how much larger than other girls I could be, but my fingers were much longer and more slender than theirs. I guess I missed my calling.. To be a hand model..hehe :0D

My rings have been resized more times than I can count on this journey. I was going to wait until I finished losing weight to have them resized, but I hated the ring guard things and I really wanted to wear my rings.

Thank goodness for Gordon's lifetime warrenty, re-sizing is free. My highest size was an 11 1/2. I am now at an 8. I'm sure I am much smaller than that though, but I have been sitting at this size because I think the staff is tired of seeing me lol. One of the ladies told me she needed to do whatever I was doing. And she is by no means obese in my opinion.

I just hate for them to be loose. They darn near slip off when I wash my hands, which I am constantly doing as I hate germs and it is cold season.

A good jeweler could take out all of the stones, make the ring smaller and put the stones back in. Not easy or cheap, but possible.

Good luck!

Ugh, I dread this because I need to have my wedding ring re-sized. I don't have channel setting, but I have 3 rings soldered together, 2 gold bands that are custom made to go around my platinum wedding ring. To size them properly, I took them to a jewler that I trust and had him give me an estimate. To do the job right, he needs to take all 3 rings apart, size them and then solder them back together. Total cost...around $270. OUCH.

But I'm waiting until I get closer to goal. I just keep wearing my $8 Wal-mart imposter ring. Size 5, and it's a smidge too big. lol.

Good luck, definitely find a reputable jeweler who KNOWS what they are doing and is part of the BBB, etc. You don't want to take chances by cheaping out on this.

I have to I'm in the same boat. MrsKoubik, when we purchased my ring it needed to be sized to a 9.5 and it is an invisibile setting....it broke. We had to wait an additional six weeks for it to be made to my size. I was told when I finally did get it that it could not be sized up or down more than half a size or it would break.

Soooo, I will need to have it remade or pick a new setting.

Good luck!