Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vent About My Gastric Sleeve Post Op Recovery Process ,i Need Some Help

Ok so I really need to VENT all this out. Today is my 11 day post and I am feeling terrible,emotionally and physically. I am so tired of this liquid diet :(. My surgeon's plan is 2 weeks pre op of full liquids diet,the day prior surgery I was on Clear Liquids and post surgery 2 weeks more of full liquids and after my 2 week check which is this December 9, I can start my purees. I am not drinking enough fluids :( I am doing horrible with my Protein and my Water. I tried but I get tired of drinking the same stuff over and over. I am trying different Protein Shakes to see if that helps but I get tired of them easily. I am feeling weak with no energy :(. I get really sad because this whole liquid diet makes me sick. I want to try something in puree but I need to wait till my 2 weeks check. I know is very important to follow my surgeon's instruction because I don't want to be back in the hospital due to an infection in my staple line or whatever. But I am seriously really tired of having broths ,jello etc :( I tried to make them in different ways,bought them. I been VERY strong on cooking for my husband and 2 year old regular foods and not even thinking of try the regular food. I KNOW this is all in my head. I really NEED some support and help now. I am scared I won't do good with my sleeve :frown5: :frown5: :frown5: :frown2:

So sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Is it possible that you're trying to do too much? I'm only 4 days out but the fatigue is much worse than I expected with this process. I have two kids myself - 2 years and 5 years - and I have a great partner who is pretty much handling everything in the household which is giving me time to rest and heal.

You HAVE to get the Water and Protein in. You can't expect to feel better until you do. I hear you're bored, but you mentioned you are a good cook - how about finding some broth or milkshake recipes you can try? Make some Soups to serve your family for dinner, then strain out the pieces and drink the liquid. Go back and review your guidelines for full liquids - is there something you haven't tried yet? Do smoothies count as full liquids or purees?

I don't think anyone is a fan of the Protein drinks but you have to choke down least one or two a day to meet your Protein requirements. Are you making them with milk? That will give you liquids and protein in one drink. I've been having them for Breakfast, since I've never been a Breakfast eater, and it helps.

Keep trying and try to focus on this a day at a time, or an hour at a time. Be gentle with yourself.

I feel your pain!! But it is best for healing right now.

I was tired of all the liquids too. Try to sip all day at least on Water some of how you are feeling could be dehydration. You don't want that.

Here is how I got my head around it.. Someone posted on here about looking at the protien shakes as medicine, because at this point of your recovery that IS what they are. They will give you energy. Also try taking some Vitamin B12 sublingual ( under your toungue) It helps with energy too.

This time seems to go so slow , btu before you know it you will be on slft food and then regular food..

Stay strong you CAN do this. This is the hardest part , but the most important for healing.

Best wishes,

Julie

If your doctor has a nut in his/her office, I would call that person and ask if there is something else you can have. Cream of Tomato Soup saved me a couple of days. Other cream based Soups were too rich, but this one was yummy. Also, I try to drink liquids as soon as I wake up, otherwise I tend not to get in all the liquids I should.

Hope you feel better and the days go by quickly until you get to eat what you want!

I so know what you are talking about. I was sleeved on 10/14 and never had one problem but the pre and post op diets were just awful. But like everything, it will pass and before you know it you will be on regular foods and loving every minute of your sleeve. Hang in there ! :)

I was sleeved on 11/8 and couldn't weight until my 2 week post op visit. I was so sick of shakes. Did your physician say you could have cottage cheese, sf pudding or yogurt? Hang in there! Now I can't wait to start the next phase in January. I miss crunching on things! Have you tried different drinks like G2, crystal light, so be 0 or Vitamin Water 0?

Thank you all, I am taking it easy,trying to get my Protein and my Water daily :)

i did really watered down cream of wheat that felt good in my sleeve. basically for full liquids if it fits through a straw you should be good. try a whole bunch of things to see what makes you happier. this too shall pass, rather quickly and then you will feel more normal. :)

Totally normal feelings. Just try to look at the bigger picture. Soon enough you will forget the obnoxiousness of the liquid diet. With the issues I had I was absolutely miserable for the first 2+ months. MISERABLE! I regretted the surgery but now? I barely remember all the pain, the hospital stay, the misery because I am normal now. Not only in eating, but I feel normal now.

Just remember you just had major surgery. You drastically changed the way you eat. Your body is not happy with you and really can you blame it? lol. Drastic changes in the way we eat can make us feel so tired, cranky, emotional, a whole range of emotions. But you adjust.

Focus on the Water. Yes it's annoying to drink it over and over but its worth it. Maybe try some Decaf tea or use Crystal Lite (that stuff grosses me out though), just get your liquids in.

I'll tell you from personal experience though, many people after the liquid diet phase don't eat a lot of Jello or popsicles for quite awhile ;)