Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving Was Weird ... Kinda Sad Actually. Then Got On The Scale Today And Had A 1.4lb Weight Gain....

Soooo Thanksgiving was rough for me .... I honestly felt sad because I couldn't eat. I was happy that I couldn't buuut I just missed the food. I didn't measure my food I just put a little bit of this/that on my plate and couldn't eat 1/2 of it ... heck I couldn't even eat a fourth of it. I did enjoy my friends but ... couldn't help mourning my old friend ... food. I know I had too many carbs because I didn't start with Proteins. I was kind of scared to weigh myself because I felt that i'd gained. Today I weighed myself and my suspicions were confirmed. I'm not gonna trip out about the gain ... just making note of it and the cause and moving forward.

Hi Sunny72, don't worry. You'll get back into the groove of things. Just think of how much weight you've lost and try not to be so hard on yourself. We have the tools now that we need to be successful, and I'm sure you will do fine.

I can totally relate. There are moments like Thanksgiving where I miss my old friend food too. I missed being able to have a full plate of food and enjoy it. I had to pick two of my favorite things to eat and then try the rest of the food at another meal. Not being able to eat like we used to is a mental adjustment. I just wonder if the day will ever come that I don't miss food so much?

thanksgiving put a little 'bump' in my plans as well...good thing its only once a year and each year hopefully we can make progress :)

The holidays are tough. Don't worry about the gain - think of how much we all used to eat before the sleeve. 1.5 pounds is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I think that next year will be easier for you. This is the first holiday since the sleeve and you are still so early out. After a few more months go by it will be easier to eat and you will be more used to your portions and you won't have as much emotional attachment to it.

Keep reminding yourself that there will be another Thhanksgiving next year and you will be in a completely different place emotionally and physically by then. Turkey Day is not gone forever :-) You will be able to enjoy your favorites (end even discover some new ones) and enjoy them in reasonable quantities again.

Hang in there---

Yep Sunny the first one is rough, I had my surgery right AFTER Thanksgiving 2010 and had more time to acclimate. While I still ate too much this year 2011, the "too much" I ate was no where near what a normal portion should of been for me prior, let alone the mounds of food I used to shove in my pie hole.

Remember, the sleeve is more like getting a divorce than a death. Good ol' food is still around but you now have to just be "friends" instead of intimate lovers the way we all were before.

Go ahead an morn but just keep in mind the benefits you are reaping and the fact that NEXT year you'll be able to indulge just a tad more.

I must admit I faced Thanksgiving with a little trepidation. I think knowing I had an appt with my doc this week made me think a little more. I have found the smaller plate trick REALLY helps. I also made a decision to sit next to my wife, and my diabetic brother who eats very small portions. Then I took just one small spoonful of the things I really liked and no more. I tried to talk more and eat very slowly. I wasn't forced to look at someone elses plate piled high and it didn't make me feel deprived. I even had a tiny bit of pecan pie. And I was really happy to say that I did not gain an ounce. It also helped that we ate at my Mom's so we didn't have a lot of leftovers to stare at. Christmas will be a challenge since it will be at our house, but I am changing our traditional menu so there won't be as much temptation.