Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation From High Protein Diet?

I had a 1 week pre-op high Protein low carb diet that I did not follow very well, and even that made me constipated.

Now 4 weeks post op I am constipated again. I am eating mostly protein with a little snacking I can't manage to nip in the bud. :( (Popcorn mainly which is high in Fiber right?! :)

I eat alot of meat, cheese, eggs, yogurt and Protein shakes. I never have room for more than 3 oz at a meal - and I usually make it all protein - so I am not getting much veggies and forget any fruit. Oh how I miss those things!!!

I bought some metamucil powder and add it to my shake or a small glass of OJ in the am but it hasn't helped.

I imagine I am not the only one with this issue, what have you found to work?

I really don't want to take a laxative but I guess may have to.....since reducing protein and adding fiberous veggies and fruits isnt really an option as far as I can tell....

Make sure you are drinking a minimum of 60 oz of Fluid each day. Without proper Fluid, nothing will move through your system. I take metamucil and benefiber most every day in a Protein smoothie. If I don't have a smoothie, they are fine mixed in Water. I can tell a difference if I miss two days of metamucil/benefiber. BTW, you can take up to 3 packets of benefiber a day.

I also take about a tablespoon of flax oil in my smoothie each day.

THis works for me. If you have really gotten yourself packed up, you may need something more harsh than what I recommend.

Good luck.

I had that problem to the extreme and had to go to the ER after NOTHING worked. I was terrified I had an obstruction or something awful. I eventually got things moving again with some RX stuff, but since then have made sure to put some Miralax in with my Protein Shakes. Haven't had issues since. Good luck, I know it is very uncomfortable!

Get some miralax. It used to be a prescription and my mom's doctor told her to use it every day, so I know it's okay to use every day. If I miss a day, I am not happy!

Yes, my natural tendancy to get constipated was definatly WORSR post op. Like what daisy suggests I've found Mirilax to be the best for me - after DECADES of trying various remedies. Mirilax is basically a super Water adsorbant inert plastic material that passes straight through softening and bulking the stool making it easier to pass.

AND as stated previosly drink LOTS AND LOTS of Water. I've gotten kidney stones 3 times now post op and have found that I need to drink a rediculousamount of water - more - than a gallon a day - to keep me from getting constipated (even with Mirilax) and forming stones.

Wow, thanks, great advice, I will go get Miralax tomorrow!

I am on pain meds for a nerve damage and also battle Constipation. I finally bought a vita mix and started adding whole prunes to the soymilk flavored yogurt whey powder carrot and whatever else is around morning smoothy. The smoothie prunes seem to have made a big difference. I also take a fish oil and 2 ducolax a day.AND when it gets bad I go for a colonic cleansing at a spa, what a releif and a lot cheaper than the ER. Good luck and don't let the stuck up days stack up.

I am four weeks post op and have been suffering from the severe Constipation. I went to my Dr. And got and belly cat scan. Everything was ok but i was prescribed stool softeners as well suggested to taking an enema. This was greatest relief. I was also told to increase my fiber intake and Fluid intake.

I bought some Gerber First Foods prunes. Yes, baby food. I am still on full liquids. The portion is small, 2.5 oz. It is just prunes and Water, nothing funky in there.

My bariatric coordinator told me to use milk of magnesia for any Constipation. I did use some one time. I was very happy that Phillips makes a concentrated version so that one only needs to take half the dose. It is "fresh strawberry" flavored. The half dose is 1-2 Tablespoons, which is appreciated when 2 Tablespoons is a lot for our new stomach. I think I only took one Tablespoon and it worked in about six hours.

Good luck, because that is miserable.

I bought some Gerber First Foods prunes. Yes, baby food. I am still on full liquids. The portion is small, 2.5 oz. It is just prunes and Water, nothing funky in there. My bariatric coordinator told me to use milk of magnesia for any Constipation. I did use some one time. I was very happy that Phillips makes a concentrated version so that one only needs to take half the dose. It is "fresh strawberry" flavored. The half dose is 1-2 Tablespoons, which is appreciated when 2 Tablespoons is a lot for our new stomach. I think I only took one Tablespoon and it worked in about six hours. Good luck, because that is miserable.

Yep, they gave me Milk of Magnesia in the hosp. I'm having the opposite problem -- all liquid coming out. Sry...TMI I suppose, but if anyone has had a similar experience let me know. I'm only 2 days out from surgery though, so this may well just work itself out.

Constipation has been a pain in my ass (literally and metaphorically...lol) for ALL my adult life and when I was newly sleeved it was no different.

At first I would take flax seeds to help and senna tabs... I found this would help.

Now, I have benefibre every day mixed in my hot tea and the relief is just magic!