Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery: Your Experience With Improvement Of Obesity Related Conditions?

Well I am about six weeks out and my total cholesterol last year was nearly 250 and my triglycerides were 214, I just had labs done last week and my total cholesterol is down to 139 and my triglycerides are down to 89! I have noticed my knees don't hurt as bad as they did and I've lost 33lbs

One must remember that obesity is not the only reason for sleep apnea- many skinny people have it too- I personally use a CPAP but don't have any apnea- I have a heart condition and go into tacchycardic episodes- the constant flow of air (like oxygen) keeps it at a regular pace and the episodes less often- I would love to get off of it but don't know when-

I have lymphedema and notice my legs are no where near as bad as before surg and i'm only 10 days post op- i'm sure it has a lot to do with laying and not being on my feet too but i'll take it :)

I have sleep apnea and per my latest read out, it is just as bad now as it was 100+ lbs ago. I recently followed up with my ENT to look for another cause of the apnea, since it appears it's just as bad, she requested I have another sleep study just to be sure.

I was insulin resistant and on metformin to help prevent diabetes. (I was getting closer to full blown diabetes with each passing day!). I've been off metformin since a few days before surgery...all numbers are normal.

I've been off of high blood pressure meds since surgery. Blood pressure gets better every day.

I was able to get off of my cpap at about 1 month post op. It was getting harder to sleep with the cpap so I tried it without it-slept like a log with tons of dreams (which I hadn't experienced in years)

I have pcos and hadn't menstruated in YEARS. I got my first af visit 2 months post op and I'm regular since. That alone AMAZED me!!

I'm sure there's more - like all the energy I have. I'm so much more active no and feel fantastic! I feel so blessed, and I thank God every day for my sleeve!

My knees started feeling way better once I hit the 160's. Literally at 169, 168 I could finally feel the difference.

Hello! I'm a pre-op, and I am curious from the post-op side, at what point did you start to see resolution (if any) of obesity related health conditions, like diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, knee pain, etc?

The one I'm most curious about how you would know is sleep apnea. Do you have to go for a repeat sleep study, and is there a point at which you are advised to do so by your doc? my sleep apnea comes from both my weight but I also have a severely deviated septum, so its possible my sleep apnea won't resolve without treating that. Not sure.

Diabetes seems easier --if we are checking our blood sugar we'll probably see a downward trend in daily readings and then the A1c would drop. But how soon did it happen for you if it did improve or resolve?

For me I had the knee pain and High Blood Pressure. Re: Knee Pain, MUCH better since losing all this weight. In fact, just before my VSG I was scheduled in weeks to have the first of 2 knee surgeries due from being so heavy and causing my knees to have really bad arthritis. I cancelled them in order to try to lose as much weight as I could before then. I believe I would've been incapacitated if I weighed 280 Lbs and unable to walk. I would've been pretty darned miserable.

Each little decade of weight has helped a great deal! I can run now. That's right RUN!!! I never imagined, EVER that I'd become a runner. Best feeling ever. :) I have not rescheduled my knee surgeries and hope to not need to in the very long future.

High Blood Pressure was VERY bad before my VSG. I was needing 4 pills per day on the max dose daily just to keep in it in the 140/90 range. That's still a bit high. Now I'm down to one minimum dosage per day and my BP usually reads around 110/70. Stress will elevate it, but only in those cases. It's hereditary so I'm sure I'll be on my medications forever, but going from 4 max doses per day down to 1 minimum dose per day... VICTORY!! I'm so thankful for my sleevie!

Good luck on your research. There's lots to know. :) HTH