Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do you find motivation?

I am just about 6 months out from surgery and I have lost 130 pounds so far. I'm just about halfway to goal and I'm noticing that my weight loss has slowed quite a bit. I haven't really started a formal exercise program because it's not fun for me and I really haven't had any motivation to exercise since up to now the weight loss has been easy. I know that I need to start an exercise program but honestly don't know where to start, I tried an exercise video and some games on the wii and ended up over doing it and not being able to move for two days. What have you all found to be successful with regard to exercise?

As for me I was in the military for 25 years and it came as second nature to me to exercise ever morning at 0630 AM. However, after I retired two years ago, I had to find ways to motivate myself because I no longer had do morning PT. I decided to join a gym close to home to work out with others because I am a group fitness/social person and need the energy of others to make me workout harder and to show up for class. I often told friends and instructors if it wasn't for you guys I would not finish that class. The gym has lots of fitness classes throughout the day and a childcare center for the kids. You can do a fun class like zumba, spin. les mills RPM, Power Yoga or boot camp. I also purchased a used ipod touch from my local pawn shop for a good price and I loaded it up with my favorite music and videos. Now when I ride the stationary bike or get on the stairmaster or threadmill, I can go all out and try to reach my target heart rate. Good Luck. :aureola:

blonde,

I'm working on motivation, too. Right now, I'm using the thought of being off one of my meds and getting rid of the Bi-pap as motivation to work hard for my Christmas goal. I want to reach 280 early enough for my doctor to schedule me for a sleep study this year, since that means I won't have to pay the $250 deductible for it. :)

I got extra motivation today to keep doing my walking. I got into a pair of pants that have not fit me in over 8 years! :)

Get a trainer or workout buddy. Lot easier when someone is working with you, keeps your mind on task and not as boring.

I use a trainer and can work out easily on my own when I don't have session with her.

I use a personal trainer 2x a week once on land and once in pool. When not with her I work on treadmill alone (up to 11 minutes) and lap swims (up to six now). Still waiting on my sleeve but doc told trainer I could start exercising 2 days after my surgery!

You have to be careful doing workout videos at home because you can over do it. You need to start slow and increase your time or weights each time. The good news is after a couple of workouts, you will not be as sore. My trainer told me that when I am working out on my own, take a 4x6 index card with me and write down the time, weight or reps that I complete and try to improve on it each time I go to the gym. It is like a little game and competition now and it helps me. The best motivation is results so get to the gym and get started, it works wonders.

I signed up for a 5k. The drive to succeed motivates me to do my C25k program, and I love the Leslie Sanson videos so I like doing those when I am at home.

WOW HAVE YOU EVER DONE WELL!!!!!!! Good for you! Well at 2 years out, let me tell you about me. . I hate exercise. . . I used to (years ago, and I mean years ago) be a body builder and HAD to work out 4 hours EVERY DAY with my trainer. . . at that time it was great cause i was young and had a goal to win every thing there was regarding bodybuilding. . . then after a couple years i got prego and of course stopped, after the kids, well what can i say. . . i had other priorities. . . stopped bodybuilding for good. . now at 50 I really DONT have the gumchin to do anything called the gym. . .I hate the gym it makes me cringe. . . so what i do is natural stuff. . .at work they make the employees park our cars 1/4 mile away from work so do that 2x per day that is 1/2 mile right there every day. . . at home there is lots to do all the time, yard work, housework. walk to the mailbox for the mail (my house is atop of a hill and the mailboxes are on the bottom of the hill) so that is what i do, i just do natural stuff, swimming, fishing, walks on the coast when we go, ride horses, etc. . . walk downtown to window shop. . . etc. . .you get the picture Good luck, sooner or later you'll get your groove and know what to do. . .

I would love to do a 5K! Maybe I should just sign up for one so that I have something on the calendar to look forward to. Thin: thanks :) I'm pretty much doing the natural stuff as well, but probably need to create more opportunities for myself.

I would love to do a 5K! Maybe I should just sign up for one so that I have something on the calendar to look forward to. Thin: thanks :smile1: I'm pretty much doing the natural stuff as well, but probably need to create more opportunities for myself.

You are doing great. Even though a 5k is only a little over 3 miles, you should still start slow and build up to it. I am going to participate in a 5k as well but I learned something, I can only jog a little over a quarter of a mile and I have to slow down to a walk and then jog another quarter a mile. I found a great training program for a 5k, it is called couch potato to 5k. It shows you how to start training for a 5k without killing yourself. Google it and you can print it off, it is the best I have seen to help increase the stamina. Good luck.

You have done so well so far! Congrats! Exercise can really change the way your body looks... and the way you feel for sure. I started trying to get fit a couple of years before I had surgery. I HATE boring exercise, and really can not run... the knees are semi-shot. I decided to take a bellydance class in my area. It was for beginners. I am for any exercise where you can go barefoot, wear jewelry, listen to great music, and get more graceful all at the same time! No one is great at any exercise at the beginning, but with time and effort, we get better, and I have been dancing now for 3 1/2 years and I am still getting better! When I started losing weight from surgery, I actually had some tone underneath the fat! I love the teacher, and the gals I exercise with. We even socialize now and then after class. I guess the key is finding something you will do, and enjoy. I hate missing class. I also lead a walking class twice a week... myself and another coworker lead 4-9 adults with disabilities on a neighborhood walk... its not very strenuous, but its regular and fun and about 1 1/2-2 miles twice a week. Regularity is key. With the dance class I set my self a goal at the beginning: " I will give myself 5years to get good enough to dance publicly if I want to."

I did a public performance at 2 years, so I actually met my goal early, but the point is to keep up and see how far I can get over time....My balance is so much better, I am more graceful, and I DO have some pretty cool "moves" too! Good luck on finding that special something exercise.

For me, it's about doing something with others on a schedule. So I'm in two exercise classes, meet once a week with a trainer, and walk with a group of friends twice a week. I prefer to work out in the mornings and get it out of the way.

I started exercising 5 days per week trying to get healthier and to get off antidepressants. It's worked for me. I couldn't really see the exercise results before I lost weight because of the fat covering my muscle layer, but now that I am losing weight, it is great to see muscles popping out here and there.

Even with all the positive results I've had, I have to stick with group activities on a schedule. I will not exercise on my own. If class is cancelled or my trainer can't make it, I skip that day.

If you haven't worked out much, be prepared to be tired at the beginning. When I first started working with the trainer and when I first started taking group exercise classes, I was completely wiped out for the rest of the day. That goes away pretty quickly though.

Lynda

I am just about 6 months out from surgery and I have lost 130 pounds so far. I'm just about halfway to goal and I'm noticing that my weight loss has slowed quite a bit. I haven't really started a formal exercise program because it's not fun for me and I really haven't had any motivation to exercise since up to now the weight loss has been easy. I know that I need to start an exercise program but honestly don't know where to start, I tried an exercise video and some games on the wii and ended up over doing it and not being able to move for two days. What have you all found to be successful with regard to exercise?

130 Lbs in 6 months... WOWWW!!!!

Ok, so you want to know where motivation comes from? My dear it sounds like you have plenty of it. You seem to be doing just fine right now. That said, yes I realize you mean workouts. For me, it provides that stimulant in my brain that leaves me feeling like I'm on top of the world. I literally, positively, absolutely, without a doubt LOVE LOVE LOVE to workout. I love the way it makes me feel both mentally, spiritually and physically.

You mention feeling sore for a few days after a workout... well the only thing that helps that is a bit of the hair of the dog if you know what I mean. No, I don't mean a stiff drink... LOL!! I mean getting back at it the very next day and doing it all over again. You can't give your body the chance to get used to inactivity. It's almost like atrophy... the less you use the muscles, the less chance for them to be able to handle any type of movement. Do you think a personal trainer would give you a break? Nuh-uh... no way.

IMO, start small. Start with some type of general and basic function type physical activity such as walking. Perhaps 30 minutes or so. Leslie Sansone makes a great DVD called "walking off the pounds". Its like walking in place (as its getting a bit cold to do this outside now) and she will get your heart pumping. This type of activity is one you can do daily, not like muscle toning. Muscle toning should be done every other day if you are targeting the same areas.

You have to make it fun, but really... the first few days won't be. You have to build up to it, learn to appreciate the results you get back from hard work and dedication. Your body will start responding positively instead of screaming at you and crying out in pain... PROMISE!!!

You got this... no worries.

Your weight loss is amazing! Way to go. I belong to the YMCA and I love the classes there, especially spinning. The teachers are great and they motivate me to go. I also do the couch to 5 K program if I am to busy to make it to the Y.