Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 2 months out, how much could you eat?

Hello everyone :)

I am two months out and I was wondering how much other people could eat (at one sitting) at this point? I can barely eat anything! I am not complaining, but there are times where I wish I could just a tiny bit more that I could eat something other than Protein. I love veggies and would like to incorporate those in at some point. But when I do I don't get enough protein in. I have trouble with the shakes so I try to eat all of my protein.

At this point I can eat about 1.5 oz of chicken, 2 of pork, 1 of tuna and about 1/4 of a sausage. This is within 30 minutes of sitting down. I know most people stop after 15-20, but I have found that that is too short of a time to get my food down, even with the minimal amounts.

I am almost 3 months out and I still have problems eating more than 3 or 4 tiny bites

Every 2 hours I drink Protein Shake in am but dont like them and then try to eat

Protein every two hrs I've lost

37 lbs so far

You should be able to eat a regular meal.

At two months I was eating a full five in plate of food. One night I had a regular size piece of lasagna and a small salad. I am at three months and for lunch I had half of a hamburger patty, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 3 slices of canned peaches, 2 Tomato slices and two saltine crackers. Some typical breakfasts are 1/2 grapefruit, bowl of Cereal, and a cup of fat free milk another version is an omelete of 1 egg, some diced tomatoes/mushrooms/garlic, slice of fat free cheese, slice of toast and cup of fat free milk.

My dietician and physician assistant (this is all they handle is bariatric patients) says to make Protein shakes the inbetween meals but that Breakfast, lunch and dinner should be regular meals.

You should be able to eat a regular meal.

At two months I was eating a full five in plate of food. One night I had a regular size piece of lasagna and a small salad. I am at three months and for lunch I had half of a hamburger patty, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 3 slices of canned peaches, 2 Tomato slices and two saltine crackers. Some typical breakfasts are 1/2 grapefruit, bowl of Cereal, and a cup of fat free milk another version is an omelete of 1 egg, some diced tomatoes/mushrooms/garlic, slice of fat free cheese, slice of toast and cup of fat free milk.

My dietician and physician assistant (this is all they handle is bariatric patients) says to make Protein shakes the inbetween meals but that Breakfast, lunch and dinner should be regular meals.

Wow, I definitely am not even close to this! I can do one egg, but if I was to add anything to it I wouldn't be able to finish it. My surgeon told me to stop "when you're full".. I told him the truth, that I am never hungry to begin with and that I have to remind myself to eat. He told me to just do Protein Shakes if I wanted. I am almost considering doing it, but I don't want to rely on pills to get my Vitamins and such.

Thanks for sharing!

I am almost 3 months out and I still have problems eating more than 3 or 4 tiny bites

Every 2 hours I drink Protein shake in am but dont like them and then try to eat

Protein every two hrs I've lost

37 lbs so far

I can't do the protein shakes at all. I just bought a bunch of stuff to try to add to them to mask the smell (pumpkin and some frozen strawberries). The last time I made one, when I smelled it my gag reflex kicked in... I waited for it to go away and afterwards I tried a tiny sip anyways... bad idea. I ended up spitting it out. I'm not sure why I had such a strong reaction to it (any all Protein drinks I've tried since). But I have become wary of them. I can't get all my protein in just by eating though, so I'm going to have to try again.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who can't get much in.

I could only eat a few bites of food--I still have a very small capacity and can only eat around 1/2 c to 2/3 c of food at a time by volume (depending on the density of the food). I envy folks who can eat "small meals," but I am still not one of those!

All you can do is what your sleeve allows you to do--focus on getting your Protein and fluids in and let your sleeve heal at its own pace. I'm actually pretty grateful now that I can't really eat much. For a while, I felt frustrated, because it seemed that as soon as I started eating, I was full and had to stop. Now I realize that it's a strange sort of gift--yes, I can't eat much, but YES, I can't eat much!! I definitely enjoy food; I thought I would miss it a lot more. Since I get full, it's just like getting full pre-sleeve; I don't miss food after I get full, even though it tastes good and sometimes I would like more tastes of it. I have learned to just chill out and focus on enjoying high-quality foods to the max--savoring instead of scarfing.

:-) You're definitely not alone with a small-capacity sleeve! Use it to best advantage and you'll have great results.

i didn't eat much at 2 months out either. i was eating a bite or two of things and that was it.

i am just over 6 months out and still can not eat more than 3 oz of meat at a time. usully 2.5oz, a bite or two of veggies and i am finished! i use to take 20 minutes to eat my meal, but i can eat much faster than that now. i still eat slow for the amount of food i do eat tho.

kelly

t

i didn't eat much at 2 months out either. i was eating a bite or two of things and that was it.

i am just over 6 months out and still can not eat more than 3 oz of meat at a time. usully 2.5oz, a bite or two of veggies and i am finished! i use to take 20 minutes to eat my meal, but i can eat much faster than that now. i still eat slow for the amount of food i do eat tho.

kelly

hi - i'm pre-surgery. DOS 12/6/11. Are there different sizes of the sleeve? The one thats the smallest lets you eat the least right? I know we drink the Protein shake only for a couple or weeks, correct? My dr. is not putting me on a early diet before surgery. What are sliders? I've heard that expression. Also this sound silly, but the smaller your slleve, the less you can eat, the less you should lose? right?

I heard somewhere that after surgery since you're supposed to sip H20 so very slowly, she took a 1 oz little medicine cup of Water, and drank it slowly like that, 64 times - anyone else do this. How slowly did you guys drink. At some point soon I know I can drink more at once, but no gulping, right?

Does everyone measure out 4 oz.? I've ready a couple of times that people take a bite here and there. But how do you do it later, when youre supposed to have more of a meal?

Thanx for any info - any more stuff about eating too would be helpful. Thanx kathy

I am two months out tomorrow--I can eat about three or four bites of whatever--about 1/4 of a hamburger is a good example I don't measure my food anymore--I just know three or four bites is it--I drink pretty much normal now--your tummy will let you know if you are drinking too fast--but, all in all, I am pretty much normal now--just don't eat much!!!

I am actually so glad to read all your posts .. I was sleeved on 9/24/11 and I still cannot eat much of anything ... I still have most success with pureed Soups (lentil & vegetable) and rely heavily on my Protein shakes (which I wish I didn't have to, but otherwise, and afraid I won't meet my Protein requirements). Have recently been able to incorporate a piece or string cheese in here & there, but really not having tremendous success with chicken, turkey or tuna fish ... a few bites and I'm really done ... oh, egg salad works (not too much though), cottage cheese (sometimes) and of course greek yogurt is my savior for protein too ... so I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone re: "foods" or being able to tolerate much of anything just yet .. I'm trying, but it's been difficult for me (I've thrown up a few times and it's totally gross, and then I'm afraid to try stuff again for fear of throwng up again -- I totally hate throwing up).

anyway, thanks for everyone sharing so it makes me feel better that I'm not alone ..