Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post sleeve surgery - neled help!!

Hi,

I had my sleeve done on monday oct 31st by dr. Cirangle. i'm realizing how hard it to meet the minimum liquid and Protein intake. With every sip I take, I feel bloated - and I have to walk and wait for the burp to happen before I can attempt another sip

Did the others also go through this? Does it get better with time? I am getting nervous - at the rate I am going, Ibarely would be able to get half the intake in/

Any suggestions/experiences??

Thanks

Don't worry - this is completely normal. Everything's very swollen from the surgery, so it's harder to get anything down right now.

Sip, sip, sip every chance you get, and get as much liquids in as you can - it's WAY more important at this point to stay hydrated, Protein can wait a little bit.

Agree. You just need time. Also try to sip without swallowing air. I was sleeved Oct 25th. The first few days, I could only maybe get 1/4 TEASPOON down at a time. So try smaller sips. It gets better. I'm just 8 days out, and I can get down the required Water and Protein drinks already...

hang in there...

I felt the same way...I had my surgery a week before yours. I can now take what I consider almost "normal" drinks. Also I can get through about 6 ounces of Fluid an hour if I really try. It will get better!!!

Good to know I'm day 6 today and having the same issue. It also hurts ny right side horribly when try to drink more than couple sips.

Just keep in mind that you have to take everything in in smaller and slower quantities. It helped me to use a baby spoon to feed myself liquids in the beginning. I also used the little medicine cups, I asked for a bunch of them in the hospital. Helps you to pace yourself.

It really does get better over time. Remain positive and keep reminding yourself of the rewards in the end - health, less weight, and a new lease on life!

Oh yeah, I found that my sleeve loves when I drink warm liquids much better than cold ones!

I understand the feeling. I was sleeved 9/8/11 and I went through similar things. Walk walk walk it helps relieve bloating and gas that is what is making you feel so full. The more you move around the more air comes out lol. Stay focused and positive and the discomfort will pass.

I just woke up n took two sips of Water n got totally nateous n feeling like there's no room for anything. Is that normal? Now laying in bed uncomfortable n headachy.

Try adding more walking to your routine. I found that the more I walked, the easier everything else became. Take 1 sip at a time, let it dribble down your throat, then wait a few minutes before trying again. If you're really worried, call your doctor's office, but I'm betting they'll give you that same advice...drink slower, walk more.

I had horrible pain every time I drank for a couple of days, but walking and drinking slower worked for me.

I had my surgery on Oct. 24 and I had terrible nausea after I drink the dye. I had to wait nearly a whole 24 hours before I could keep anything down. Everything I drank tried to move past my gas and came right back up. I think i was like I don't wait to try that again. But of course, I did. I will admit that I had to drink only Water for the first couple of days because everything else made me gag. I concentrated on doing two ounces an half-hour. I had the little medicine cups and I would fill 1 at a time and take about 3 min to drink that and then wait to see how my body handled that. After about two days I was able to add Jello to the mix. So far I am doing ok and have just moved on to soft, mushy food - body says thank you - and it is still a little uncomfortable but it is important for us to remember to eat slowly. I am having a hard time with that. I'm eating Farina and that seems like it dissolves in you mouth. How do you eat that slowly? I try to take small amounts at a time and little breaks in between mouthfuls to see if I'm full. So far doing ok. Walking and moving around really helps move the gas. So when you feel like it try to take a walk a day. Its help me alot, I still have gas but its coming out and its not so uncomfortable. Good luck!