Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help struggling with head hunger I think

Hi all,

I was sleeved on the 26th and for the last few days I having been feeling hungry all the time and I can't tell you how bad I want one bite of a grilled cheese sandwich or a chicken something. I have been doing pretty good with fluids I've been drinking Water and Protein Shakes and eating pureed cream Soup soup but I still feel hungry and I really want a bite of something savory. I know power of this is head hunger but I also feel genuinely hungry. anybody have any suggestions. I'm not going to east anything I'm not supposed to, I worked too hard to get here and I don't want to do anything to mess that up or hurt myself but I'm really struggling.

How about chicken or beef boullion? It's hot and salty and not sweet--my Protein Shakes were sweet and I got sick of them by the end of each day. Chewing gum also helped me (as long as you don't swallow it) because I was chewing something. For head hunger you need to distract yourself. Read, do laundry, walk, drink some Decaf tea, do a puzzle...you are drinking all day so your stomach should always be full of something. It won't feel full because it's liquid, so that contributes to the real hunger feeling, but pretty soon you will be able to have thicker food and then you won't be as hungry. Please stick to your plan and it will get better!

When I got that way, I would drink boullion and take a gasX strip. I always assumed my hunger feeling was partly due to excess acid - so I always treated it as though it were. GASX, TUMS, PECID - something for acid -- then drink something warm. My other go-to warm drink was hot mint tea with sweetener.

Distracting yourself is definately the way to go, after you treat the acid.

I was the same way (was? still am!). I am a beef person and use to joke that no cow was safe around me because I would gnaw on it! The first 8 days were torture (at least in my head) because I could not chew anything. Even my teeth would feel fuzzy and I had to brush them every few hours. Then I went to soft / mushy stuff and it felt like I was going to get through it finally. I'm mostly on all soft now supplementing with Protein shakes. Soft foods at least allow you to chew on something. I have two more weeks then I am going to try "regular" foods.

Hang in there. It will get better. My theory is that if I can be pregnant for 9 months (twice) and if I can get through diapers (twice), then I can do ANYTHING! :Banane55:

Shae

I have fuzzy teeth too!!!! What is up with that? Is it a Calcium thing? Acid? Have to brush three times a day!!! 6days post op.

LOL! I attributed it to a lack of teeth cleaning substances going into my mouth. Everything you have to chew (aside from candy and that sort of stuff) scrapes your teeth. It is actually beneficial to chew stuff like raw veggies or dense meats or crunchy things. I believe that during the pre-op liquids and one mushy meal a day and during the clears, full liquids, and mushy/puree stages, there simply is not anything to clean your teeth.

Shae

Thanks for the replies guys, I totally have the fuzzy teeth thing too but it seems to getting better. I think Shae is correct about the chewing and natural teeth brushing. I have gotten a little better with the hunger, I made cheeseburger Soup and purred it the other day and that helped alot.

Thanks everyone

During my liquids stage, I used to chew on food I wanted and then spit it out. It's gross, but it really helps take the edge away. I was close to tears my first few weeks because I missed food so much. I feel you *hug*

I actually resorted to dipping my fork in potted meat (YUCK) and then taking a bite of scrambled egg with the potted meat mixed into it. I read that one gal actually pureed a piece of pizza! You will get through this, but potted meat, while I wouldn't want to eat it now, is very savory. Maybe you can find something similar that works for you.

I wasn't brave enough to try to chew something up and then spit it out, but if that works for you, it works. I also second the suggestion for broth. I drank tons of it. The warmth was soothing. I do suggest the low sodium versions, though. I didn't want to retain Water because of too much salt.

Good luck!! :)

@ vst addict I totally thought of doing the same thing the other day but I don't trust myself enough not to swallow, I bought a magic bullet today and am experimenting with smoothies and purees. I have one more week until I can eat blended food like tuna I'm just counting the days until then. I'm glad I'm not alone with this craziness :-)

Are you on a PPI? I was dealing with horrible hunger (real feelings of hunger-not head hunger) until I started the PPI that the dr prescribed. It helped tremendously! Now at almost 4 months out, it's better but I still take it every now and then because I still get that feeling. The PPI clears it up immediately.

The fuzzy teeth thing is from your body being in Ketosis. It gets better when you start eating a few more carbs and calories.

The ppi really does help with the hunger thing early on. I was worried at 6 months if I went off the PPI I would be extra hungry again, but luckily I was fine. Its not that great to take PPIs forever... because of poor Calcium absorption.

I hated sweet stuff early on, and it seemed like everything I was putting in my mouth was crystal light, Protein drinks and pudding. I started drinking unsweetened herbal tea, creamed Soups and chicken (Im a veg so it was fake chicken broth) I tried making a chai tea latte with Protein powder that was pretty good, and had a strong not too sweet flavor. (just don't get the Protein Powder too hot or it will clump) You can put unflavored whey in the Soup too to boost the Protein. Good luck! Things will get better soon.