Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question fo folks 6+ months out

Hi All,

I wanted to share some of what I am going through and see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am over 7 months out from surgery and my weight loss has ben fantastic. Let me start by saying my sleeve REALLY WORKS for me. I don't watch my carbs or cals or fat. I can eat about 5 bites of anything and then that's it. I always eat Protein first because I am afraid I will have bad nutritional repercussions if I don't. The following foods upset my stomach, so I don't eat them: bread, ice cream, alcohol. I rarely have room for any type of vegetable or fruit, but I do eat granola with my yogurt in the morning. I still eat 5 or 6 times a day. I have to or else I don't get enough calories in and I feel weird.

I have never been on a workout regimen. Major problem because now I feel quite weak. I can walk at a normal pace for hours (much more than before). But, if I increase my heart rate, I can't do it for more than a couple of minutes. I know I need to work on it and I am slowly getting better. Feel like I am starting from zero...

Here's my problem: I don't feel normal at all. If I exert myself, I get shaky. I have a lot of emotional weirdness about food - especially if I am out and about on my own and need to eat something. I can quickly stress out because nothing sounds good or I don't want to spend the money on something I will eat 1/4 of and then throw away. My hormone swings have been crazy too - last 2 months my libido disappeared AND my period changed again. Seems like every 2 months has a hormonal surprise in the form of sex drive or period or Hair loss or bad temper.

The overall affect is getting me down. Of course, life doesn't stop just because I am going through this. Work is laying people off next month, I am getting married in 3 weeks, the in-laws are already starting drama over Thanksgiving - you know, regular life stuff.

I started lifting weights around the house. I figured I will work on one body part at a time and right now it is my arms. Easy to do in the living room.

Anyone else feel a little "off"?

I'm 9+ months out and I still have days where I feel weak/shaky. I talked to my NUT and she talked to me about something called reactive hypoglycemia. Basically what happens that that our bodies sometimes still produce the amouts of insulin that it did when we ate so much more, and it can cause a low blood sugar. I started snacking on turkey Jerky during the day, just a piece here and there. and I feel so much better. For me, I also feel really rundown and get winded exercising if I am even a little bit dehydrated. Did you do labs a 6 month out?

Do you take your Vitamins? That is one thing you did not mention.

I also think you should try to add more balance to your food. My doctor and nutritionist both expect me to have a couple of Protein drinks a day just so that I can have some fruit or vegetables in my solid food. If I tried to get all my Protein from food I would not be able to fit anything else (like you!).

I definitely would look into those labs- I started walking a couple of blocks way back at a month out and now I am up to three miles a day plus Water aerobics six times a week. I worry about your low energy meaning something else!

Hi Rev-

I am with you to an extent. I have "off" days and have noticed some definite changes with my menstrual cycle (like it lasts forever) and my emotions. I also get weird about food on occasion and will struggle with not being able to figure out what to eat. I've recently gotten that under control. I found I really like Muscle Milk light. So, when I start stressing over what/where to eat and I'm alone I hit the gas station for a Cafe Latte Muscle Milk. Problem solved. :)

I have had reactive hypoglycemia since I was a teenager. For years I've controlled it with diet alone. But, since having surgery I've noticed it is much more prevalent and harder to manage. Feeling "shaky" and "weak" are major side effects of low sugar.

Where we differ is that I picked up running about four months ago. I really feel that excercise has helped me tremendously. I agree with the other posters that it's probably time to see the dr. for some bloodwork to rule out any insulin or Vitamin issues. Good luck to you!

Amanda

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I had bloodwork at 5 months and everything was fine. I don't take Vitamins - it slipped off the radar around month 4. I'll try adding them back into the routine. Early on I had a Vitamin D deficiency that corrected itself.

It's nice to know other people are feeling a bit different. I have to work harder to change up what I am eating I guess. I still can't tolerate Protein drinks - never could - and I know that has limited me quite a bit. I may count my cals / carbs / fat for a few days and see if there are any obvious deficiencies there.

THanks again!

Hi Rev! I'm only 4 and 1/2 months out but have struggled with some of the things you talk about. I wanted to share that a big challenge for me has been getting the shakes in. I too have had lots of trouble getting them in which in turn caused the problems with the rest of my food intake as you discribed.

What I did to get those suckers down is relaxed the rules. In other words, my NUT wanted me to keep the carbs below 5 per drink and Protein of at LEAST 20. I am lactose intolerant big time now and for some reason, just about all shakes give me the runs, if I don't puke first! Sorry :-) None of the powders/soups/drinks seem to work!

What I do now is use soy milk and frozen fruit, sometimes fresh, like blueberries or strawberries. I've also been able to tolerate yogurt so I ad some of that and I found a whey Protein that has many more carbs but I use that and double up. I can get up to 50 grams of protein in one shake! If I can't finish the entire shake in the morning, I save it and finish it in the afternoon. (I bought a bullet which really helps) This has made a HUGE difference in how I feel and in keeping me even keeled. I have lots of energy to work out as well -- although on occasion I get that "weak feeling" starting in my arms, like they are super heavy. Then I know I'm low on nutrition.

I also have a juicer and juice greens - green vegies, especially leafy greens. I don't juice fruit because of the sugar content. I use to do this before surgey as well. You can get fluids in but most importantly a ton of nutrition!!! I have to say, you have to get used to the flavor, but for me, it feels like I take a shot of some kind of magic because it realy energizes me immediately. I really missed it when I could not do it right after surgery. I get organic greens. You don't have to do much. I do about 8oz worth, but you may want to try 3 - 4oz in the begining. Just juice a few kale leaves, celery stalk and cucumber, for example. You can also add a litte parsley. Juicers can be expensive but in my opinion, they are worth it. You get lots of antioxidants as well as vitamines and minerals. (sounds like a commercial, LOL)

Like Amanda, I turn to a "to go" shake when I am out and about and struggle with what to eat, what sounds right etc. But use the Ensure, lactose intolerant. Again, it's got more carbs and cals than my NUT would like, but too bad! At least I eat and feel right.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR UPCOMING NUPTUALS!!!!! I imagine what a stressful time this must be, especially with the holidays and all the "fun stuff" you describe! :-) It's possible that all of the preparations in themselves are taking a bit of a toll and things may just get better (i.e., more energy, relaxed, mood,) after the big day! There's alot going on in your life right now and I would not underestimate the effect these things have on our state of being!

I wish you a beautiful day!!!!! Hope to see pics in the future!!!! and congrats on ALL you have accomplished!!!!!

PS: the Vitamin tip from meggie sounds good too! especially during this stressful time! Be well!

Two things to carry with you - little packets of nuts and individually wrapped cheese. I also have Jerky available. The most important thing about going out is BE PREPARED.

Are you getting enough liquid on a daily basis? That really throws me for a loop if I don't have enough(that's what gives me the shakes). I've taken to having tea to up my liquid consumption (not a coffee drinker).

Good luck.

I'm 6 months out and yep, right there with you with having absolutely no exercise tolerance--at least I don't sweat like I used to, but I sure do have trouble getting my breath at times. I'm going on Monday to have pulmonary function tests to see if this is asthma or something else. BUT I think it's also tied to the whole dehydration thing, because it really gets a lot worse when I've not been paying attention to how little I'm drinking.

Something that I've found pretty helpful nutrition-wise to sneak in more veggies when I have minimal capacity is to zap them up in Soup. I can now drink an entire coffee cup of Soup over a 15-minute period--this is a HUGE improvement, and I think I can only do it because it's liquid and it sort of slides down without too much problem. If you make your own, you can control the sodium content (I find commercial Soups WAY too salty). Just use low-sodium broth and whatever vegetables you like; cut up the veggies and add them to the broth and cook until it's all soft. Add herbs and whatever other flavorings you like. Zap it in the blender. At this point, you can stir in some of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder, if you like (DON'T boil it!). I usually just put in some cheese or sour cream or something dairy, especially if I've used a few Beans in the soup (they get really creamy when blended--I just use a couple of spoons from a can!). It's quick, it keeps in the fridge, and you can heat it up in no time in the microwave, AND it's yummy veggies and some Fiber for very few calories--and even the carbs are "healthy" carbs from veggies and Beans and dairy.

Anyway, good luck to you! I also find that when I accidentally decaffeinate myself, I get sluggish--but that's more a mental fog than a physical one. Hormones definitely DO have something to do with all of this--I'm so ready to stop with the hot flashes (I'm going to start calling them "energy surges" to see if the more positive term helps my mental outlook about it!), but it looks like they'll be here a while. Hang in there! Take those vitamins!!