Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GOODBYE to my Mirena??

So, I went to my WL doc last night.. He asked me how I was faring w/ my Mirena that was placed in Feb... Told him I absolutely love it!!! Then I asked if I would need to take it out.. He replied that it was up to my surgeon.. So, i emailed the RN who works directly w/ my surgeon to inquire.. He thinks it will have to come out 2 weeks prior to surgery!!! :o!!! And I can possibly have it replaced in 3 months... So, my issues w/ this are:

• I got Mirena to stop my excessive bleeding (I bleed to the point of almost needing a blood transfusion.. got a D&C instead..)
  • I gained weight when I got Mirena placed and I don't want to go through that again
  • I was a RAVING maniac for 2 weeks after it was placed.. I don't think my students/friends or strangers can survive this again...
  • I don't think my insurance will pay to have it placed again..
  • I DO NOT, I repeat, I DO NOT want to have to deal w/ my period while I'm recovering from surgery!!!! I get very ill, mean and not to mention I can't go ANYWHERE for fear of bleeding all over the place!!!

So, how many of you ladies had mirena when you got sleeved??? Were there any issues or extra precautions that you had to take?? Somebody, anybody... tell me SOMETHING!!!!:blink:

I know!! This were per his nurse.. and he said based on his experience... I as adamant about getting an answer directly from my surgeon, so he emailed him our email exchange.. I hope to know something soon... I'm hopeful that I can keep it in...

Thanks for responding!!

I dont have much to offer but the fact that a close friend is getting RNY and her Dr. refered her to get it 1 week prior to surgery so why does you dr need to take it out??

I did not have my Mirena IUD removed prior to my sleeve - my surgeon never brought it up. I guess I don't understand why you'd have to have it taken out.

Good luck

I know!! This were per his nurse.. and he said based on his experience... I as adamant about getting an answer directly from my surgeon, so he emailed him our email exchange.. I hope to know something soon... I'm hopeful that I can keep it in...

Thanks for responding!!

No problem glad to help, Good Luck!

My surgeon was totally the opposite. He barely even blinked. I kept my mirena in and no one ever said a thing. That's weird. I would possibly ask your gyno what he/she thinks about surgery with mirena and for him/her to discuss it with your surgeon.

I had mine installed 2 years prior to my sleeve surgery. I did not have any problems with it during surgery or recovery and now that I am almost a year out I am continuing to be problem-less with my Mirena. I don't understand why you would have to have it removed... I think the nurse may be confused. Make sure you talk to your surgeon and your GYN.

Get the copper IUD. I can't have the horomones since I had a bloodclot in 03, and I think that's why they want you off the one you have now. The copper one I still have periods and sometimes they can be heavy but it's no big deal and I LURVE my IUD!

BTW From what I've heard the hormones work locally not systemically meaning it doesn't get into your blood stream to affect bloodclots. My Dr didn't seem to agree but ask yours why you can't have it and mention what I just said.

I haven't had surgery yet but i do have the Copper IUD in. The nurse told me NOT to take it out and that it wouldn't pose any kindo of threat. Another reason... she said that I would be EXTREMELY fertile for the whole 2 months or so AFTER surgery. Sooooo, the sucker is staying in!!!