Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't you just listen

Ok, I am sorry. I feel like screaming at this lady. After she learned that I had wls, she told me a couple months ago her daughter was going to have lapband surgery. I told her to encourage her daughter to research all wls as she might find a different option. I was not pushing either type, just know your facts and stats.

Well she blew that off and I was like well I was just trying to help. Fast forward and girl has had the band for like 2 to 3 months now. And she thinks it is not working. I know this because going down the hall the lady tells me that the daughter had the surgery and she wanted to know how fast should the daughter be losing. I responded that I did not have the band surgery. (now get this) She shakes her head, "Well they are all wls, right?"

I wanted to yell and scream, "Uh no no no lady they are not. I was trying to save you and your daughter from the possiblity of this grief a few months ago. But you would not listen or tell her." But of course I did not say any of that.

She went on to tell me that she thinks her daughter just needs to exercise more. I simply stated that maybe that will help, but I really don't know the in's and out's of the band surgery.

I want to help. She has already had the surgery now. Who knows she may do fantastic. I don't know. I just wish she would have had all the information before surgery. But then again she is a grown woman and she is responsible for her own choices and making her own decisions. I can't really be upset with her mom.

I guess I just feel a certain way about how her mom handled me telling her to do more research. It's like you can see the tragedy up ahead and you try to warn people but to no avail.

When I was at my surgeon's office last week I was sitting next to this lady and we were talking and I asked her which surgery she had... she looked at me for a moment and said "there's more than one?"... this lady is two months out after having the band. She was absolutely clue-less about the sleeve. She said she went to the seminar and I know that at the seminar they talked about all of the types of weight loss surgery, including the sleeve, so she must not have been paying attention. She then goes on to say how she only lost one pound that month but she had just been on vacation. She also couldn't understand why she kept getting a "stuck" feeling. I suggested she lower her carbs and up her Water (she said in the last week she had only had one bottle...) and she looked at me like I was saving her first-born.

I just can't believe how un-informed people are. I seriously thought that the psych evals were meant to make sure people understood their choice and their options... but I guess not!

I wish they would take that band off the market. It's ridiculous to keep putting it inside people when the majority of us have to have them removed. All for the all mighty dollar.

It's the surgeons job to make sure his patient knows their options and takes the time to explain them all. Sad that she didn't care to do any work but she seems to have taken the surgeons advice and how can we blame her for that?!?

I feel like I have personally "saved" 4 people from having the band, not to say that there aren't successful bandsters out there, but I personally know of 4 people that after hearing about the sleeve switched from band to sleeve after I gave them some informational links.

That being said I am honestly SHOCKED at how clueless some people are (not just people, but PATIENTS WHO HAVE HAD WLS!!!) I've been to band and RNY support groups (my surgeon is FINALLY starting a sleeve group this month and can I just say how freaking excited I am to finally go to a support group that is all about the sleeve!) But I digress, there are so many people who just don't do any reasearch. At one band group there were several people who had never heard of erosion. REALLY? You didn't know that in some cases the band erodes into the stomach creating a problem? These people had also never heard of a slip. Where the band doesn't stay in the same place and the stomach moves up through the band. I was just sitting in shock...and some of these people had their band for 3-4 years. But again, as someone mentioned I am SURE they heard the risks from the surgeon but our minds do not want to hear the band that can happen because we all think that we won't fall into that xx% that it happens to.

It only my opinion, but I think what happens is when someone gets their hopes up on one procedure they just don't listen to the "dark side". You can tell them until your blue in the face, it just won't make a difference.

I was banded in early 2008. I don't think the failure rates were as prominent as they are right now. It was being pushed and proclaimed as being a savior to those who would just like a little freedom from fat without having to have their insides dissected. I knew about RnY and I knew about DS at that time. I'd never heard of the sleeve but I think it was extremely new then. It wasn't an option for me so I chose what was best for me at that time.

It did save me from getting to my fattest point of my life, if anything. I was on -2 Lbs by time I went on my pre-op diet for my revision. I was on -11 Lbs on revision day. I'd lost 50 lbs before my Lap Band surgery - so I never gained any of that weight back. Also, having my band prepared me completely to rock my sleeve. So, all was not lost with my Band!

hi - i went to my 1rst seminar/conference a few months ago. I had only heard of the lapband & the "big" gastric bypass. I was so excited to get the lapband ASAP.

I also had never heard of the numerous problems involved with the lapband, Erosion, band slipping etc.

At the very end of the meeting the dr. mentioned the sleeve, he even mentioned he prefers it over other WLS. It sounded kindof good, got me thinking and reading.

when i saw him and started to talk to him, i realized the sleeve was for me and i was really happy.

I had never heard of the "sleeve" - i know its relatively new, well to the normal public, i know its been around.

i guess i'm just saying, i don't think the sleeve is advertised enough, people don't know of it, they only know of the lapband (which i agree should become extinct) and the gastric bypass. People are just not informed - and yes the dr. should speak to all, asking them about there choice, have they researched enough. Make them aware of other options. This is obviously a big decision and they need to be totally knowledgable.

Anyways, my DOS was 12/15/11 - and i'm very happy and looking forward to a great journey and happy future where you all will see less of me.

kathy

PS not sure why this is ranting and raving :o) i'm just following the suit with discussion

I heard an ad on the radio yesterday for the Lap Band. I was so ticked off because I, too, feel like the LB is NOT a real solution for so many people. My surgeon still does them, but he explains all the risks to patients before and he recommends other procedures if he thinks the LB may not be the right choice.

I started out researching the LB, but quickly switched the VSG after the seminar I attended.

my surgeon performs the 3 major WLS and when i had my first visit he was really gunning for me to get the sleeve. i have a high BMI and when i went in i was only looking at getting the band. after talking with him and going through the pro's and cons of each surgery he advised me to go home and do more research before making my decision. that was the best advise that anyone has given me. he gave his recommendation and then told me to do some homework. well i am sleeve and doing good. knowledge is power. i am so glad that i didnt have the band, it would have been a complete waste of money.

I started out interested in LB also. I was fortunate enough to know a LB recipient and was able to pick her brain. I also researched via support groups. Some of the horror stories were too much for me and I noticed that they'd always revise to VSG so I figured I'd cut to the chase and get VSG (of course I did more research tho).

The surgeon who did my band here where I live is pretty much refusing to do bands anymore. He's doing sleeves now for self pay patients in an outpatient facility very reasonably. At least he's talking people out of the band now and I think every surgeon should be doing that.

I am still way glad I went to Dr. Aceves. I loved being in that hospital. I wouldn't have been able to afford the hospital here.

I agree that the band does prepare u for what u would go through with the sleeve. I haven't had the sleeve done but I can't wait to start my success story.