Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I just slow or am I doing something wrong

Don't get me wrong I am happy and proud of everyone here but after 4 weeks post-op..I can't eat much at all. If I make a few spoonfuls of oatmeal, pudding or yogurt, after a couple of bites I will feel sick if I eat more. If I have an Atkins drink, it takes me all morning to drink it. I drink the Water but still feel listless. I wake up every morning at 4am (don't ask me why) Then I will probably fall asleep from 8:30 to 11:30 am. I went las week (for the whole week) with some of the worse gas pains which have now stopped. If I stand for too long in one spot I get real bad backache (I thought this might be from sitting alot this past 4 weeks).

I just see everyone on here getting through this all faster and without as much trouble as I. I guess I just want to know if anyone out there has been in the same boat as me? Is this just another phase? Or am I doing something wrong?

My surger was Sept 16, I am 58 yrs old and did have some complications at surgery with my thyroid but nothing major.

I have lost 33 lbs so far ( yeah) but of course, I'm not eating much.

Thanks as always for your input....You guys are a lifesaver

Janet

hi Janet- I'm 4 weeks post op too and feel pretty much like you ( minus the headaches). instead I have a severe lack of energy. looking forward to seeing what others comment.

Pagie, we must be the only ones feeling this way after 4 weeks. Maybe it is the fact that people just mend differently. Good Luck to you Pagie

Janet

You are not alone. My first weeks I could hardly eat and felt so tired all the time. When u get to eat real foods and get your Vitamins in you will feel better. I'm almost 4 months out and I still can only eat about 8 or 9 bites every 2-3 hrs but I feel great and have lost 59 lbs. Just hang in there it does get better.

Don't get me wrong I am happy and proud of everyone here but after 4 weeks post-op..I can't eat much at all. If I make a few spoonfuls of oatmeal, pudding or yogurt, after a couple of bites I will feel sick if I eat more. If I have an Atkins drink, it takes me all morning to drink it. I drink the Water but still feel listless. I wake up every morning at 4am (don't ask me why) Then I will probably fall asleep from 8:30 to 11:30 am. I went las week (for the whole week) with some of the worse gas pains which have now stopped. If I stand for too long in one spot I get real bad backache (I thought this might be from sitting alot this past 4 weeks).

I just see everyone on here getting through this all faster and without as much trouble as I. I guess I just want to know if anyone out there has been in the same boat as me? Is this just another phase? Or am I doing something wrong?

My surger was Sept 16, I am 58 yrs old and did have some complications at surgery with my thyroid but nothing major.

Janet

I am right there with you! Four weeks out and I can barely get anything down. Also, the 4 am wake-ups!!! Every single morning for the past two weeks I am up at 4... since I normally have to get up around 6:30 I force myself to at least try to go back to sleep but it doesn't always work. Protein shakes do not sit well with me at all. Mushy and soft foods sit better for me for some reason. When I do have a Protein shake it can take me a couple hours to get it down, and that is if I really focus and force myself to. Though it is higher in carbs I find that mixing them with milk over Water did help for some reason.

From what I know, you are right on track with the rest of us!

I'm almost 2 months past you operatively, but I totally remember feeling the same way. Right about 3 weeks I started feeling horrible. I couldn't eat much and was only tolerating oatmeal and pudding. I think it is your body going through some sort of starvation thing. Your headaches could be from dehydration, so be careful to drink enough. Also, make sure you are taking a B-12 supplement. This made a big difference for me. I still have a hard time getting in enough Fluid, but I am able to eat much more (although still very little) just in the past two weeks. It will get better. For me I started feeling more back to normal around 51/2 weeks post op. Good luck and remember to call your surgeon if you are concerned with your symptoms!

Thank you all. My husband and I were really starting to worry since I felt better last week and boom....4 weeks post-op and I'm light-headed. Can't eat much, no energy and up every morning at 4am. It does help to know that this too will pass.

Thank you all soooo much

Janet

You sound normal to me! I ate just like you, very little. I was never hungry and ate because I KNEW i needed to eat. I gave up the Protein drinks after a few days, it took me all morning, it would get warm and I'd add ice....it's like it kept growing!! Ugh. I found the 3.5 oz bullets. Did they taste good...NO, but I could take a few sips several times a day, hold my nose like a kid, and bam, over 40 grams of protein! I couldn't stand to drink the Protein Drinks, I thought they tasted terrible, so this was no different, just quicker! I had surgery in June of last year. I still cannot eat a lot, although it is much more than initially. It freaks me out some times. I liked eating a tiny bit, but I am maintaining easily and am about ten lbs under goal. I had no problems, one incision took a while to heal, but no other issues. Drink tea, Water with lemon and maybe a stivia...whatever you can get down and keep your Protein up. Good luck!! Stacy

Janet

I can totally relate; I am three weeks going on four post op...I wake up somewhere between 2:30-4:00am and just can not go back to sleep! By mid morning I am crawling back in bed for a couple hour nap. I am not quite lethargic, but have hardly any energy.

I wake up with an iffy tummy, sort of achy & sore. I know that the incision where they removed my excess stomach has started bothering me, it feels very tender and bothersome in that area. I get the gurgles after I eat anything...my appetite is pretty non-existant at the moment. I used to love Protein shakes before surgery, now I can't tolerate them. I started the mushies and found that the items that my tummy seems to like the most are meat! I can eat fish, chicken, and even steak. eggs on the other hand, not so much, scrambled seem to sit like a rock although poached seem to be ok. The thing that seems to bother me the most is liquids, especially Water whether it is flavored or unflavored. I try to drink hot tea and sip the Water, but yuck.

I'm getting my multi-Vitamin in at least once per day. Surgeons office told me no B12 or Calcium until the 2 month mark; I wonder why?

Hi I'm also 4 wks out n am feeling the same way!! Can't eat more then 2-3 spoons of anything! Can't do eggs and can't do much mushy food. I can do Protein Shakes premium brand from costco really good flavor 30 grams a pop. Water is getting better to tolerate but before it hurt to drink it. Gatorade with water goes down easy too. But Im still fatigued and my sleep is all over the place still..:-// my energy comes and goes like my appetite... From what I read it should get better.:-)