Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much will I miss binging?

I am now into my second week of the pre-op trying to shrink that liver before my 10/18 surgery! I don't mind the fast so much except I do have moments when I feel very weak. I think the shakes will be so much better with skim milk! My treat is V-8. We are allowed 12 oz/day, but a couple of days when I felt especially I weak have had double that. That is my only "cheat".

Trying to get things lined up for when I am in the hospital. Got some meals ready for my son (senior in HS) and tomorrow I am getting a pedicuretongue.gif. Also getting a perm today. Don't want to be worrying about my hair in the first couple of post-op weeks. Also, given how damaging surgery can be to hair, I figured it would be better to do this pre-op!

I think I am ready. A little scared, a little worried. Binging has been a ritual. How much will I miss it? I have already lost about 30 pounds since February so I am trying to think about how great losing 100 more will feel. This is a big investment in MYSELF and I am ready to make it!

I am sleeving the day before you on the 17th....

I know one thing... I will NOT miss the horrid guilt after binging. The thoughts of "that was tasty going in but now I feel stuffed and awful and like a complete failure."

We are worth more than binging and being unhealthy. I have heard others say that the desire to overeat disappears for the most part. But, we will have to replace the over-eating with something else. I am getting some scrapping and journaling stuff together now so I will be able to work on little crafty things with ease post-op. Maybe I will look into needlepoint or something that is easy for non-arsty types like me to do. I love doing arts & crafts but am not that great at them and my final product can come out looking like something everyone would pass right by at an arts & crafts show.

We're in this together!

Leah (aka Mamasez)

I've been thinking about this too. I remember hearing someone say that it's like breaking up with an old friend. I'm hoping that staying busy and trusting the process will be enough. You're not alone! :-)

To be very very honest with you. I am almost a year out with my sleeve. I had a lap band for about 2 years before that, so that cured me of my binging. But, I did go 3 months without the band, and my horrid eating habits came back 3fold. I gained 40 pounds in that 3 months. The best thing is the first month or two after you are sleeved, you really have no desire to eat. I remember the first solid bite I took, I chewed it up to mush, and I felt it go through my whole system. It was amazing, and I was done. I didn't want to eat anything else. It took me about 2 months to get to eating real food, I was a shake queen, and yogurt was my best friend. But binge, I could not do it. Now, 1 year later, I could do it, and I feel like crap after, if you call eating 15 Oreos a binge, but that is in the course of an hour with a glass of milk! And it was 1 time and never again. I felt so sick after that when I look at an Oreo now, I want to hurl. The sleeve just kind of cures you of all that! it is amazing!

I am a binge eater as well. So I am combining this surgery with a lot of extra counseling. I live in a very remote community, but a mental heath worker comes here once a month. I am all set up to see her each time she comes. Also, the place where I am having my surgery offers 2 years of aftercare. I will be in contact with their nutritionists and other supports a lot after my surgery. I have a lot of bad behaviours to undo!

Kara