Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is Ridiculous.... So frustrated!

Prior to surgery, I enjoyed my Protein Drinks, then post op couldnt tolerate them so I decided to give my stomach a rest for a week and see if that time let it get adjusted...

Well yesterday I started mushies, had half a scrambled egg for Breakfast and some oat bran for lunch, I tolerated both perfectly, no soreness or nausea. I figured hey I will give my Protein drinks another shot now. So today I had my powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate protein with lactose free skim milk. Immediately after I had a huge stomach ache, diahrea, nausea and very close to vomitting. I didn't even get through the whole Protein Drink. I am so frustated. I have no idea what to do I need the protein but my stomach will not cooperate.

Give it time, you're still early enough out that it makes little to no difference on your Protein intake. In a few weeks you might be able to tolerate it more. Give it time.

I could never get through one Protein drink after surgery. Not one. I am not saying this is the best course of action, but as soon as I was able, I was drinking liquid yogurt, kefir, milk - whatever I could get down that had some Protein in it. I never really came close to proper protein intake until I was able to eat some meat. I ate cottage cheese, yogurt, cheddar cheese, brie cheese, deli meat, soft cooked white fish, etc. Follow docs orders on what you can eat and try to get all the protein items in up-front.

To this day, the smell of any protein drink makes me ill. Weird.

Good luck---

Isopure flavorless with some frozen fruits and yogurt and skim milk or almond milk works well. Haven't tried Unjury yet but I'm sure it works just fine. I never really liked the flavored Protein drinks anyway. Also, watch out for Meal Replacement shakes or powders since they seem to fill way faster and are much thicker. I also juice veggies and fruits and add flavorless protein for a very refreshing protein juice...it's a welcome change from the milky drinks and full of nutrients.

I use Special K Protein Water mix ins, I put 2 of them in a bottle of water (10gr total), its not much but it doesn't taste like anything but fruit juice. Also I know that nectar has something similar for juice type instead of shake type. Try your shakes with water. Add Silken Tofu (yogurt consistency, no taste) to get that creamy taste and 5 gr protein. Make sure the Proteins don't contain any milk products. Definitely talk to your NUT about it too!

I second trying a bunch of different ones. I hated all the ones I loved before surgery! Vitalady.com was my savior as they sell one scoop samples of any of their powders and with trial and error I found one I till use five months out For me champion proscore 100 chocolate did the trick even though it is one with a bad review on the list in the food area! It tasted like dutch chocolate to me and I drink it with Decaf and ice every morning. Everyone is different! I also totally rely on the unjury chicken Soup every day- I double the amount of Water I add so it is less salty and counts towards liquids.

I happen to think finding Protein drinks is important. My dietician and my doctor expect me to drink two a day throughout the weight loss period. The reason for that is that my sleeve, Thumbelina, holds 1/4 cup max- and if I were to try to get all my Protein from food I would never be able to have a fruit or a vegetable- and that is not good! So I have my two drinks- that give me 50 grams a day- and then vary my solid foods a bit more.

I will add that getting the protein really makes a difference in weight loss!

Greek yogurt has almost as much Protein as the protein drinks and yogurt is easier to digest than milk. I feel your pain as I have not been able to tolerate the Vitamins. I have been desperately trying to find a Multivitamin that I can both take and tolerate. I have always been super sensitive to vitamins but it has only gotten worse.

Hi there,

I am only 12 days out and very fortunate to tolerate any Protein drink; however, one morning I made my Chike Orange Dreamsicle flavor with non-fat Lactaid and was in a similar situation as you. I didn't realize how much sugar the Lactaid had in it and think that was more than likely the cause...all of my other protein drinks I had made with Water. I thought I was being smart trying to up my protein count with the Lactaid...I sure didn't feel so smart after the drink LOL.