Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 29.8 lbs & nobody can tell :(

I was sleeved 09/19 and am down 29.8 pounds.....but nobody can see a difference but me. So it got me wondering..how much weight do I have to lose before people notice? I'm almost 5'2" and I weighed in at 220.8 on 08/26. On my surgery date I was 211.2. Today I am 191. I'm happy about the loss, but having ANYONE notice would be nice.

I think it's most important that YOU can tell! Good for you and congratulations on the outstanding progress! Sometimes people are just too shy to comment on weight loss because they think it's a touchy subject. It doesn't mean they aren't noticing.

I'm "about' 5'2" as well and started out at over 250lbs, and it took a solid 50-60lbs for anyone to make comments. Plus, I only went down a couple of pants sizes with that amount of weight lost.

People realize that other people's weight is kind of a sensitive subject. They may not want you to feel like they are prying into your business, or that they want you be open about what's going on.

I really started getting comments like "Holy crap, you've lost more weight?" after I got out of plus size clothes and really started losing inches and pant sizes.

Hang in there, they will notice. Part of it may be if you are hanging around the same people every day they see a slow progression and may not notice. I find when I go to a restaurant that I haven't been to in awhile but the staff knows me then I get solid comments.

Make a change in hair style or clothing that will attract attention to something else, they will see you changed.

Aw, they will notice. That is such awesome weight loss though! Congrats!

I've found that the only people who comment so far are those who know I had the surgery. If they don't know, they tend not to comment. I think it is because people are sensitive about commenting on weight loss.

I was at a family get together after I lost 40 lbs. Nobody said a thing even though they knew about my surgery. Later I asked my dad if he noticed my weight loss. He said I looked great but he didn't want to say anything because he was afraid he would embarrass me. I think people might be doing the same to you.

Being short isn't it--because I'm tall, and it took around 35 pounds of weight loss for anyone to notice! :-) There seem to be times where it just becomes more noticeable. For me, those were around 35, 60, and 85 pounds--people just commented more at those points than at other times. Those comments will be pouring on, don't worry. I know, it seems like you're doing a lot of hard work and getting some good results, and you want others to notice and appreciate it! They will. For now, you enjoy it--it's like wearing beautiful lingerie that only you know you have on. ;)

are you taking pictures as you progress??? that will be a great motivation for YOU!!! Great Job working your sleeve. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the "atta girls" they will come soon enough!!!! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry they will begin to notice soon. They may have actually noticed and just have commented out loud yet, not knowing how you would feel about your weight being brought up. But as you become smaller and smaller, people will notice more and will probably comment more.

Congrats on the weight loss, you are doing great!!

:)

Thank you everyone! The support on this forum is AWESOME!!

I have been around the same people everyday, so it probably is hard for them to notice the change. I guess in my mind I've been working on this for months and even though I know it is working, I just needed some outside support. My family is very supportive, but they are all males and we all know how they avoid the weight topic like the plague :)

So pity party over! I'm on the right path and my Christmas card this year will ROCK!!

I agree with everyone..Once I hit my 50 pound mark, then people really started commenting..I love it now, no matter where I go I hear OMG have you lost alot of weight..and I smile and say yes I'm down....It's such a great feeling and self esteem booster!!!

You will get there just give it time!!

I think having this surgery made me realize how much people don't pay attention to your size. I was sure everyone noticed every pound I gained presurgery, now I realize people just don't pay that much attention to other people's size. They are probably too busy obsessing over their own weight! I was surprised by the comments some of my friends make after a month or two like, "Do you feel any difference?" and I was thinking "Yeah, I feel like I lost 30 pounds!" I just wish I knew before my surgery that I was the only one obsessing over my weight! I am sure you look fabulous! People who see you often are not going to notice it as much as people you haven't seen in a while. But you just need to know you are looking and feeling better every day!!! Soon, everyone will notice how you are whittling away!!!

I've experienced that before. I think the reason is that it happened so fast (within 2 weeks?). People have not had a chance to figure out what's different yet.