Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Thought of Throwing Away My Stomach(EEKS)

I am new to this thread and I plan to have Surgery with Dr Aceves November 22, 2011. I have so many fears about losing my stomach. What if I need it years down the road.This is not reversible and it scares me that I will forever alter my organs , unable to change them ever again. Is anyone else ever felt this as a concern? I feel so overwhelmed about this surgery. I no that I need it but, I am afraid Im gonna back out. Does anyone have any information that would suggest needing this part of our stomach years later? I need help. I dont wanna scare myself out of having this surgery. UGHHHHHH........

You will still have a tummy, so no worries ;0)

Considering that partial and full gastrectomies have been performed since the 1800s for stomach cancer and ulcerative conditions, really the lack of 85% of your stomach isn't that big of a deal. If you do some independent research on gastrectomies for other medical conditions instead of just weight loss, you'll find that 1000s of people have lost most or all of their stomachs and live very normal, fully-functioning lives. Yes, they have diseased stomachs before, and they have different dietary requirements than we do, but honestly, you still have stomach tissue. You'll be able to eat normal foods, you'll be able to consume enough nutrients/calories to sustain a healthy body weight.

When I was first researching revision options, another VSG'er said something along the lines of 'losing my stomach was like divorcing a toxic/abusive husband, I had to think of what that big, unkind, huge organ had done for me in the past, and all I could come up with is continue to allow me to eat copious amounts of foods that helped contribute to my obesity'. That's paraphrased, but it makes sense.

I don't miss or need my big stomach!

I ditto the folks on here, and like you, this was my biggest worry as well. But you know what, it isn't the matter at all. Once you lose the weight and are eating "normal" again, you'll see that this was not really that big of an issue. It's hard to explain, but it's ok and life is good. Good luck and hopefully you'll work through your fear as I did and have your surgery and enjoy your life as a happy, thinner, and healthier person! Good luck!

I was excited for that bad tummy portion to be chucked...........So now I only have the good & healthy portion to maintain for the rest of my life.........that other part of my tummy got me to where I was 3 months ago and I was very happy to see it go..........Good luck to you :D

I really appreciate this post. I have also been thinking about this. Thank you for posting your question and thanks for the responses. "divorcing a toxic/abusive husband". Love that.

Wellll...u all have made some great points. Thanks teddybear that was cute. Im not so worried that it will cause harm. I get that this procedure has been performed for hundreds of years. I am more so worried that if something went wrong with the stomach that I am left with.....what then would I do? I no i have got to stop thinking the worst but, I cant help it. However, I am soooo tired of being fat, tired, and unhealthy I have to do something.. Thanks ya'll

;0)

History of sleeve surgery http://bariatrictimes.com/2010/02/18/the-history-of-sleeve-gastrectomy/

While this particular procedure HAS NOT (circa late 1988 but not really done until late 1990s) been around long, no long term studies, the doctors believe it is safe else they wouldn't do it. They will run many exams and many insurance companies require a psych exam. They will, once unused stomach is removed have it run through the lab.

Yes, there is a possibility of future problems so you need to follow medical advice like never taking Motrin again and using Tylenol (something you have to know if case another doctor tries prescribing it) to avoid ulcers from Motrin. If you are really worried just consider avoiding foods and spices that don't agree with you now. Learn the things that cause ulcers and avoid them as much as possible.

You will still have a stomach the size of a banana and you will be able to eat normally again in no time. However, this really doesn't your worry.

If this is a major stress/worry that you have and are not comfortable you can do the bypass, which is reversable and may only be covered by insurance if medical necessity. You will be more restricted for a much longer time but still have 100% of your stomach. Your worry then is malnutrition which is not typical in sleeve surgery.

As a sleever it is easy for me to say I am happy with decision but I was not worried about losing the bottom portion of my stomach.

Instead of getting opinions here you should consult the professionals, medical doctors and possibly a psychologist, about your concerns and or fears. You really should be mentally okay to go through the surgery else you may go through long period of regrets after surgery.

Look, I still wake up in the middle of the night and think.. Oh My Gawd.. I let someone cut out my stomach and throw it in the trash...lol

I think it is totally normal to worry. Somewhere in our minds we still think that maaayyyybe we can do this without surgery.. maybe if we just watch what we eat and have willpower we will... blah blah blah.. ya know?

Buh-bye big ol' stomach that fit too much food.. hello little Portion Control pocket! :)

Don't worry.. you are going to be more fabulous than you can imagine!

Hi

I had sleeve surgery 3 years ago. Honestly, I am thrilled to NOT have the stomach. I have maintained my weight loss of 105 pounds now for 2 years after losing it. I know it allowed me to over eat and I never want to be able to do that.

I guess I never thought of it as losing something--it was the reason I was fat :( and I didn't feel healthy and had such problems with exercise. Now that is all gone. I promise you, that you will never miss it. :D

Would you feel the same if they got rid of your appendix are something else that needed to be removed to save your life? :P I don't think you would at all.

Hugs and take care,

Suzanne

Thomascpa.....it's not that serious. I'm ok with my decision. It was just a thought and I did enough research to get the answer I needed. @suzanne your right....I had my gallbladder removed and I'm doing fine. I no ill be okay! Thxs