Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I Notice That You Have 9.3 In A 10 Vg Band, Are You Concerned That Your Band Will Get Filled To 10 And You Are Still Not Done With Losing? I Have 9.2 In A 10 Vg And Have Just Now Gotten Restriction And Have 150 Lbs To Lose, I Am Worried.

Indigo Girl, you write such encouraging post. I am really looking forward to getting my band and getting started with the rest of my life. Hopefully it will be a much healthier one.

Thanks - I just try to tell it like it is :D We just all have to stay motivated and not let too many things interfer with our goal - It's hard to stay on track all the time - but that's what this site is for. imho

SOUTHERNGIRL

There is a plastic surgery thread. I'm looking for a good PS surgeon in Mexico. When I lose the weight and stablize myself I hopefully will tighten up the face wrinkles and get rid of any turkey neck that may appear.

I need to get the info now because I will have to save the money for the surgery.

Ok my over 50 friends - you will all understand what a great acomplishiment this was... Cuz ya'll know that we aint spring chickens anymore and that our weight has taken a toll on our bodies.

I walked on the treadmill for 1 hr 5 minutes - 4 MILES - yes gang that's a 16.25 minute mile

This is a great for me cuz I HATE exercise and 3 months ago I could only do a 25 minute mile. But each week - i increase my speed ∨ incline.

I set the treadmill for 1 hr and was so happy that that 1 hr was up and i had done 3.71 miles - then i said to myself - you only need .30 to make it an even 4 miles - so i ramped the speed up and continued on until i got to the 4 mile mark...

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Well Done IndioGirl

It is great that there is such an improvement in your walking. It must be doing you quite a lot of good. My surgeon told me to walk for an hour a day. At first I did not get very far and now I can walk twice as fast as when I began. I am now at the point where is I do not go for a walk I miss it, and I never thought that would happen.

Keep up with the good work. I know you can do it.

INDIGO GIRL

I'm inpressed. Walking 4 miles on the treadmill, what an accomplishment.

I just came in from my walk and am working up to (someday) a mile. It is so hilly here that everthing is either steaply up or down...nothing flat. I was only to do one hill.

Indigo Girl, I am so impressed. That really motivates me. I hope I can do as well as you are doing. I can tell how serious you are about this venture. I am serious too. If I pay that much for surgery out of my pocket, I have to be serious.. ha

Brenda

Ok my over 50 friends - you will all understand what a great acomplishiment this was... Cuz ya'll know that we aint spring chickens anymore and that our weight has taken a toll on our bodies.

I walked on the treadmill for 1 hr 5 minutes - 4 MILES - yes gang that's a 16.25 minute mile

This is a great for me cuz I HATE exercise and 3 months ago I could only do a 25 minute mile. But each week - i increase my speed ∨ incline.

I set the treadmill for 1 hr and was so happy that that 1 hr was up and i had done 3.71 miles - then i said to myself - you only need .30 to make it an even 4 miles - so i ramped the speed up and continued on until i got to the 4 mile mark...

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

WOW!! That's great!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I wish I could walk more! Four Miles is really good! Hmmm.. I was feeling good because I didn't take my scooter to church this morning!! Shame on me! Left knee hurts with every step, though. Hope to get that fixed in the spring when we get back from PS!

Indio - Wow! It is great to get to a place where you are more fit and can go a little more. Good for you!!

I am fooling around with my food to cope with my stresses, IRS audit that went terribly and my mom's neediness around a hip replacement. Both are undercontrol and I am taking charge again. Have a good Monday everyone!

Michelle

hi, i'm 54 (barely), wheelchair bound (for now!) and losing weight just fine, so far. i had my surgery in canada on january 18, 2007. i don't know exactly how much weight i've lost (can't stand on a scale) but judging by the way my clothes fit, i've lost 30-40 lbs. (2-3 sizes?). ideally, i'd like to lose another 70 lbs., or so. two things drive me, 1) i want to stand and walk again, and 2) i want to be easy(er)to lift if it should come to that. oh, and 3) i want to be pretty, again, and 4) i want to look great in clothes, and 5) i want to be able to get down the aisle of an airplane without seat burns on my saddle bags (i use that little on plane wheelchair), and 6), and 7), and 8), and, and, and.... this is my first entry on this site. 'hi' :-).

hi, i'm 54 (barely), wheelchair bound (for now!) and losing weight just fine, so far. i had my surgery in canada on january 18, 2007. i don't know exactly how much weight i've lost (can't stand on a scale) but judging by the way my clothes fit, i've lost 30-40 lbs. (2-3 sizes?). ideally, i'd like to lose another 70 lbs., or so. two things drive me, 1) i want to stand and walk again, and 2) i want to be easy(er)to lift if it should come to that. oh, and 3) i want to be pretty, again, and 4) i want to look great in clothes, and 5) i want to be able to get down the aisle of an airplane without seat burns on my saddle bags (i use that little on plane wheelchair), and 6), and 7), and 8), and, and, and.... this is my first entry on this site. 'hi' :-).

Welcome, Elaine! We are glad to have you join us here.

My surgery was July 20 and I'm down almost 40 lb. I will be 64 next month. I use an electric scooter a lot of the time because of bad arthritis in my knees. I have been working very hard at extending my walking distance since surgery. I'm hoping when I get some more weight off I can get my left knee worked on.. probably replacement is necessary but I haven't seen an orthopedic doctor in several years.

Keep up the good work!

Hi elainek!!

I've only been on LBT for a few months, but the information I've gotten here is wonderful. I just received my surgery date this past week - it's Nov 5th, and I'm very excited!

You have done GREAT with your weightloss!! Have you had any fills? Any problems getting all your Protein?

I plan (hope) to not get weighed very often after I am banded. When I did all the other diet/weightloss/starvation programs, I lost weight v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, and it would make me furious. ( I think that's when I developed high blood pressure! :biggrin1:) Watching my clothing size get smaller and smaller is what helped me. And even though my situation isn't the same as yours, I also have an airplane goal - fitting into an airplane seat buckle w/o an extension. I hope to visit my daughter in England next spring, and I not only want to fit in the seat buckle, but I want to feel good about the way I look, and not be in pain when we do some sight-seeing.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Forestcat

Hey does anyone know how this board works? My mother in law was enjoying posting whenever she came over to use my computer. Now when she tries to log on, it says she has the wrong password. So she clicked where it said to have the password sent to her email address. Then they gave her a new password. She tried using that password, but it still said she had the wrong password.

She likes to post in the over 60 thread. It seems like she is going to have to completely start over from scratch and re-register or something.

I am down 50 lbs but I probably gained over the weekend. We went out of town. I ate a bunch of junk I haven't had in months.

Back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

dear forestcat,

i haven't had any fills, yet. just the band has been enough up until now--CHOICES make all the difference with me. well, mostly. i am ready to get my first fill and see if i can speed things up a little. finding a doctor to do the fill has been a challenge; someone on this site suggested a dr. kelly in portland, oregon. i might try her. i would so like to find someone in seattle, where i live. if i can't, i'm sure the train ride to portland will be fun...a little vacation, a vacatiny. talk to you later, forest. eak.

oh, yeah, about the protein...i drink one of the Isopure drinks each day--50 gms of Protein. i've never been good about eating much protein anyway, i hope this is enough. does anyone out there know?

good luck in november, forestcat! or, should i say, "break a leg"; i don't want to jinx you ;-). eak.